need help choosing paint color for sun room.
kctherriault
The room has 2 walls of windows, cathedral ceiling, white painted tongue and groove ceiling, terra cotta tiled floor, off white wicker furniture with a hydrangea flowered pattern (see pics for color). The ceiling and trim work will be Dover White. As you can see we are in the process of painting right now. Thank you for your help
bluenan
Use the Dover White for everything, but in different sheens. Semi-gloss for the trim and doors, satin for the ceiling and matte for the walls. Each surface will look slightly different because of reflected light, but all flow and look good with the floor which is a strong color. You can then use any colors from your chairs in accessories.
May 22, 2013 at 4:05PM   
Elise
Try a grayed green, or even a soft gray. You don't say which direction the room faces? Northern light is cooler and southern light is warmer, so you need to keep that in mind when testing paint colors.
May 22, 2013 at 4:33PM     
trishlovesdecor
I think it's such a lovely space with the long windows where you can see the entire garden! Lucky you! I think the paint choices are good. I am not a fan if your furniture set to be honest, if you don't mind me saying. I would just recover the cushions with a plain coloured fabric that is fade resistant. (Because it's in the sun room). Then I would paint the frame white to go with the rest of the room ( Or give it a real good polish). I feel it will give a more modern look to your space. Because the room itself is such a delightful space! Then I would add some good fade resistant cushions on that furniture set. Recently bought some great water and fade resistant cushion covers from www.zahaarasanctuary.com as seen below. They post worldwide very cheap.

If possible, I would replace the tiles. They seem rather old fashioned. I would change them to glossy white/cream LARGER square tiles, or a sandstone look. Sandstone feel would make it more outdoor-like. But make sure its easy to clean as well.

Ideally I would add some plants etc to make it feel more in-sync with the outdoors.

image courtesy www.zahaarasanctuary.com
May 22, 2013 at 5:16PM   
studio10001
The virtue of the green/grey idea is that the walls will recede and allow your view to take the focus.
May 22, 2013 at 5:38PM   
sstarr
Agree with trishlovesdecor that the tiles are dated.
May 22, 2013 at 5:56PM   
bluenan
Your question was about the paint color, not the tile, so I assume you plan on keeping it. Click on the picture I posted above of Elsie Interior-Salem Church Road and look at the floor, it's very similar to yours. You can always put down a nice rug for softness and to down-play the floor.
May 22, 2013 at 6:03PM   
Oh what a delightful room! Oh what tired looking upholstery on those lovely wicker chairs! It's definitely time for a change of upholstery, so I can see these possibilities:

1. Recover the chshions in an off white canvas, giving you the latitude to change pillows and accessories as you wish. This has great appeal to me.

2. Select a fabulous multicolor print from which to borrow colors for the pillows, draperies, and rugs. This too has great appeal.

3. One of the glories of wicker is that it doesn't take much fabric to reupholster the cushions. You could even make separate sets of cushions for winter and summer...another appealing solution. So I'm fickle! I love them all. And, BTW, I like your floor tile and think it works well with the wicker, garden look. What is more natural than terra cotta.

I'd be tempted to paint the walls a pale yellow, like a ray of sunshine. The yellow sunroom in the first photo below has hardwood flooring, but the floor color isn't that far removed from that of terra cotta. The second photo shows a lovely combination of yellow patterned draperies with blue and white striped upholstery.
Hammond-Stallworth Residence Living Spaces
May 22, 2013 at 6:15PM     
kctherriault
Thanks for responding and yes, you're right I do plan on keeping the floor and furniture, we've very recently renovated the rest of the house and I wanted to freshen the sunroom with paint, I typically lean towards very neutral colors but was hoping to add a little color to this room since the rest of my house is very safe neutrals, I'm not against the all white but would like to explore a little, should I stay with the white???
May 22, 2013 at 6:16PM     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
What a beautiful room! Colour-wise, going all white is the simplest & cleanest look. You can even go with different whites & finishes to give room some texture.

Then, have fun finding some replacement cushions in FAB bright Sunbrella, or similar sun resistant fabric to really make the room POP! As per images posted by Trish.

Not sure which area you live in, whether you have 4 seasons or not? If yes, then you want fabric which can work in all seasons or cushion covers which can be removed & replaced with another colour/pattern as seasons change.

Wicker is ideal for a sunroom. I love wicker baskets, furniture, etc. & it is very easy to change with spray paint. I have had fun spray painting white wicker or brown wicker glossy black, white, red, lime green.......personal choice. It is another way for you to make the room POP.
May 22, 2013 at 6:18PM   
I also like the green walls shown in the sunroom below. There are a lot more pictures on houzz of white sunrooms than of those with colored walls, so I encourage you to change those odds. Be different, speak up in color!

May 22, 2013 at 6:21PM     
Need help choosing paint color for walls and ceiling living room
This is a empty rectangualar room at a 1950s beach...
Need help choosing a paint color for my living room
I am currently installing white oak wood panels with...
need help choosing a paint color for my living room.
I have cherry stained crown molding and base boards...
Need help choosing a baby room paint color
We are incorporating white, beige, orange and blue...
Need help choosing a dining room paint color!
My dining room will be finished in a week (coffered...
Bathroom, can I make this work??
I have these pieces, cabinet - sink - and faucet. Our...
Rug over carpet
Is it ever ok to lay a hand knotted oriental rug over...
Need help looking for kitchen backsplash.
Help need finding the right kitchen backsplash with...
Toning Down Crazy Tile
We are moving into our new home soon and trying to...