Furniture placement in multipurpose, open concept room with lots of traffic
golfisa4letterword
Hello. I have a fair sized multipurpose room, kitchen, family dining, cocktail area that is difficult to place furniture in. Reasonable high use of the french doors, a fireplace between 2 main entrances to formal dining room and the tv room. The seated area under consideration is really only used when we have company - otherwise we go into the tv room right next door. Would like to actually use this part of the room more!!! I would like to have more seating for parties that does not close off the room to the tv room - people wander back and forth all the time - especially on route to the kitchen. Willing to buy new furniture. The fireplace is not the focal point - it is the view out the french door and onto the deck and to the valley, plus into the kitchen. I want it to be all of one room with the kitchen so I can cook and listen to conversation while finishing dinner details. Upholstered stools?? Arm chairs?? Where to place tables?? Thanks very much!!
tennisanyone
Beautiful space. I would turn the couch towards the fireplace and put the big chair on the left of the fireplace facing the couch. More of a conversation area. I would get an area rug to anchor the space too. I would also take those pictures by the stairs and not stagger them. I would hang them three on top of each other OR a big piece of artwork. I think the kitchen table is too small and would get a larger rectangle one. It was hard to tell from the pictures what what is the corner by the chair. Can you take another picture?
May 22, 2013 at 6:09PM   
golfisa4letterword
There is only a plant behind in the corner and a picture as well as and a small table and lamp to the left of the large chair - which is actually a love seat. So, it is a larger piece that would block the entrance to the the family/tv room. Note the large entry ways on either side of the fire place. ..other photos. How to create a conversation area without blocking the 2 entrances? it is a cadumdrum!!
May 22, 2013 at 6:23PM   
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
I am intrigued with the number of rooms. if the kitchen is beside this room, I am curious why the dining room is so far away?

Do you have an eating area in the kitchen or is the table pictured the only place? Is it used often?

Could you post a photo of your kitchen, dining room & tv room.

Love the staircase. Is that leading down to the front door?

With the french doors leading out to a lovely scene & a fireplace, I am thinking this room would be a lovely dining room. Just brainstorming now, from visualizations in my head.....

If the front door opens into this room, I would recommend using screens to provide some privacy when front door opens.

The placement of the dining room table could take advantage of the view and the fireplace. Placed on a large rug, would be a lovely spacious room.

If the idea of switching rooms around has some appeal, then send me the pix of other rooms and I will follow my idea thru with more suggestions.

The fun part of design, nothing is carved in stone.
May 22, 2013 at 8:20PM     
tennisanyone
Now that I see it in the pictures, I see that it is a love seat. I would still turn the couch to face the fireplace and now put the love seat where the couch is. I also think it is the placement of the light in the kitchen area that is throwing things off. Maybe center that to the slider door and put a huge table with eight to ten chairs since you need so much seating.
May 22, 2013 at 8:25PM   
studio10001
If I had my druthers, I'd place back to back straightbacked sofas at the left of fireplace, and establish two seating areas. As that is a bespoke idea, I'll also suggest floating your sofa, and angling it more sharply, so it is parallel with the loveseat. You can then add chairs on either side, a larger coffee table, and an upholstered bench opposite.This will keep both the walkway and the view open, and allow conversation with the kitchen.
On a secondary note, a thicker drapery rod is needed.
May 22, 2013 at 8:49PM   
coastalcutie
I agree with tennisanyone. Its exactly what I was thinking before I read their comments. In the corner I would buy a smaller statement chair or put a larger plant there.
May 22, 2013 at 10:11PM     
golfisa4letterword
Studio10001 I am not sure what "floating" means - Not placed against a wall, I think. And the thicker drapery rod is brilliant!! Every time I look at the drapes I know something is off, but not what. I will add photos of the dining room and tv room as per Sharon's request. As we use formal dining only 30 times a year on average, it is not a big part of our life style. The kitchen table seats 6 easily, we are a family of 4 so just use the extra chairs when the kids bring a buddy in for dinner. When clients are here, I don't like to feed them dinner beside the kitchen. Below is what you see when you are standing at the front door. The front garden outside provides lots of privacy as well. The stairs are a double sided design. One from the front door and one side from the "main room".
May 23, 2013 at 5:43AM   
golfisa4letterword
Here are the dining room and tv room. When we have more friends then seating, we use the dining chairs to turn around and watch DVD's. Otherwise there is a large tv viewing room downstairs.... kids use it more. This is a renovated bungalow... several owners and we have all done our own renos, Almost all but weight bearing have been removed from this main floor. I REALLY appreciate everyone's interest and advice!!
May 23, 2013 at 5:54AM   
tennisanyone
I would still try the leather couch facing the fireplace (floating) means, not against a wall and the love seat where the couch is. Have you ever tried moving the tv room furniture into your great room by the fireplace? I would still move the light int he kitchen center to the door and get a huge table with 8-10 chairs.
May 23, 2013 at 6:17AM   
studio10001
Good morning, and yes- into the room a bit! The idea is to keep your seating group on the diagonal and out of pathways. It may be that your current sofa is too large to accomplish this; the loveseat could replace it, or a straight armed alternate.
May 23, 2013 at 7:05AM   
Before buying new furniture, I'd suggest you try your sectional,without the chaise if it is detachable, at the FP and your leather pieces in the TV room. Place the chaise where the loveseat is now. I think the square coffee table would look better with the leather and the round one with the sectional. In the dining/TV space, put the longer sofa on the wall and "float" the love perpendicular as now arranged. Pull the leather chair with its back partially in the entry to the room. Have you tried turning the dining table the other direction? If not crowded by the buffet, I would do that and install a more up to date drum chandy at 36" or less above the table top. Are you interested in area rugs? I think one under the dining table would be good looking - perhaps pick up the colors in your art pieces. It should be 4' wider and longer than the table yet not run into walls or other furniture. Would also suggest generous-sized rugs for the other two spaces. homedecorators.com has great rugs, a wide range of prices, and I've had good success ordering them online for clients. I would prefer a more substantial dining table by the kitchen, just for visual balance sake. Would be inclined to try a drum fixture there too.
May 23, 2013 at 7:16AM     
Thanks for pix. So your dining room & tv room open to each other behind the fireplace? What an interesting layout. I like your house & your furniture & style.

I wish I was there with you. I can see switching pieces around & making these rooms work better & flow better.

If you are not in a rush, slow the pace down & think about your lifestyle & which rooms get the most use. From what I can see, not sure you need any more furniture, just different placement.

I am leaning towards decoenthusiaste's suggestions which I will review looking at pix. Charming home! I will return.
May 23, 2013 at 8:25AM     
golfisa4letterword
Just wanted to show you all how it looks with the furniture switched. I quite like it. Family does not.. Mostly because the comfy/ squishy movie watching couch is now in the other room.
May 24, 2013 at 6:27AM     
golfisa4letterword
Here is the TV room. I still don't love it. Further suggestions to help this room out?? Tables and lamps?? I prefer to not have rugs due to pets and all their fur getting embedded. In the winter, I would not mind one in the TV room, but struggle with getting the right size without spending a fortune on a rug that I will take up in the summer months. Plus a view of what I see when sitting in the tv room.
May 24, 2013 at 6:44AM   
imhofan
What an interesting space; you have beautiful artwork in TV/dining room... I would suggest swapping one of the dining room pieces for the spot over your fireplace. The current mirror is fun, but does not have enough weight to balance the room/furniture. Also move the plant to left of staircase, it is blocking your artwork. I would switch your dining room to the open space in front of the doors to pool. Place a bench on one side; swap the light fixtures and center over doors. Move the current dinette and light to your current dining room and use as a study/homework area. Move the big favorite leather chair to window in DR for reading and place one of your throws over the back with the same silver floor lamp.
May 24, 2013 at 7:58AM   
I'm liking the sectional move, and understand the family not appreciating it. You have the option of moving it back to the TV room and getting a new sectional for the more public space. For now, though, try moving the leather love forward so there are 18" between it and the coffee table and the same distance with the large sofa. That is the space you'll want to fill with an area rug. Lay out the shape with blue painter's tape. The front feet of both sofas should sit on it with an extension past the outside ends of both sofas of about 6-10". That should give you a visual idea that you can lay a tape measure on. Sisal could work year round. Pull the leather chair around so about 1/3 of its back can be seen through the entry. spiceclan05 has an interesting idea about switching the TV and dining spaces. The buffet would not be so crowded on the longer wall and you'd have room for a beautiful rug under the dining table. What kind of ceiling fixture is in the TV room that could switch out with the chandy? Do you think moving TV connections is worth it? You might try the flip and see what you think. It would make your two spaces for social occasions more of a unit, and would tuck the family TV room into a more intimate space. An apartment sized sectional might fit that area. You could wall mount the TV left of the window on a swing arm to make it more adjustable for viewing. I imaging the brown leather chair is someone's favorite TV seat, so angle it between the double doors and window facing the TV corner.
May 24, 2013 at 8:32AM   
tennisanyone
I like the new arrangement. Try living with it for a few days and see if your family adjusts to the change. I'm actually thinking that your tv room is actually your living room and you reversed them. Here where I live, the LR/DR are together and the big great room/kitchen are more casual areas. Did you reverse the rooms? OR do you have another separate formal living room? Would you ever think about putting the TV in the now family/kitchen room with the comfy couch and making that room in the back a living room?
May 24, 2013 at 1:18PM   
Now that I re-read spiceclan05's comment, I think they were limiting ideas to the larger open space, except for switching tables. However, that did stimulate my thinking about flipping the two smaller spaces. I don't think you want to block the view of the pool with a leggy dining set, but in the smaller room, the view outside would be an asset to dining. Anxious to hear your feedback on switching dining and TV spaces. Maybe the family will get used to the leather furniture over the long weekend if you're staying home.
May 24, 2013 at 1:49PM   
thinkwhite
I love your house! I see your cat is happy!
May 24, 2013 at 1:50PM   
golfisa4letterword
Thank you everyone for your ideas. Decoenthusiaste: We have a wall mounted TV - a fair sized one - in the kitchen/great room area. It gets a fair bit of viewing as well. I seriously thought about switching the dining and TV rooms around - after people here suggested it. I measured and moved a few small things to try to get an idea of how that would work and then realised that I have a surround sound system in the walls and in the floor of the existing TV room. My husband would kill me if I changed the function of the room now!! So that idea is a wash. As for tennis's question, no we do not have another formal area. I think what I need to do now is buy some new furniture for the TV room as the style of the sofas and the existing chair don't work together. Put the leather furniture somewhere else... maybe for a second conversation area in the rec room. That will make the family happier as well. I have a great abstract in the library - just leaning against a wall - that I could try over the fireplace - good proportions.... someone mentioned that. I originally went with the mirror as I have so much colorful artwork on all the walls that I did not want them to compete with each other. I will take another look at it. And I will get new curtain rods - that is brillant as well.
May 24, 2013 at 3:40PM   
tennisanyone
My husband would kill me too if I had surround sound in the floors and ceiling and then changed my mind about the rooms. It is easier to buy new furniture then go through a divorce over this LOL. Good luck and post when you are done.
May 24, 2013 at 4:16PM   
Well, it was a good thought. If the system ever goes on the fritz, maybe you can do the switch. Did he not extend the sound system into the dining space as well? They seem to really be the same room, except you did say lots of conversions have gone on. Maybe he installed it before that wall came down? I agree, new for the TV room and the leather elsewhere. I think you're original dilemma is solved. Please post pics when all is arranged. You have lots of lovely art to select from, so I'm sure you'll find the right piece for the FP.
May 24, 2013 at 5:18PM   
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....
Help blocking sound from traveling down a basement staircase
Hi everyone, I'm looking to install something (not...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...
Need help with furniture placement
I need help again. I have two sofas, one wing chair,...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...