Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnpad

Desperately need help with living room/dining room/front door entrance in small space

Leslie Quinn
10 years ago
We have been renovating this 1950s ranch home for the last 6 years and I am finally gung ho to put some life and personality into the space. I have been trying to do this for the last several years but just cannot find a color scheme and/or décor to give the space the right feel and “functional” “small” living space. I am a minimalist when it comes to off-wall décor but right now I also have a 26-month old and an 8-month old so extra floor/table décor in the space is more no-no than ever before. We do live across the street from a large inland lake in MI so I have always been interested in a lakeside feel without going totally “beach theme”. I tend to have a very eclectic taste but don’t want to overwhelm the space either and always have a difficult time coordinating colors & decor tastefully. The walls are a slightly pastel/neutral green, and we have hardwood oak floors and dark brown furniture. I really need help putting color and coordinating the living/dining room shared space. It is challenging even more so because it is all walk-through space and in between the kitchen and the three back bedrooms, as well as the “formal” front-door entrance. I have a very small budget so while an area rug, pillows and wall décor are planned expenses, I am not really looking to buy new furniture; however, I do want to put in a chair or two to help frame the sitting area. Besides this, I have tried and tried and just cannot make the space/color schemes work for us. My husband just keeps saying, everything is brown! I really do not have the ability/time to paint the room right now either. Any help or suggestions would be wonderful and even specific product citing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Houzzers!!!!

Comments (12)

• nolam
    10 years ago
    I think changing the window treatments from vertical blinds would really help. Also, painting the trim to get rid of some of the brown.
  • Leslie Quinn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your input! I do not have an Ikea nearby. I shop Kohls, Pier 1, World Market and just tend to Google furniture pieces or look for used on non-upholstered items. (I am a cleaner and do my best to keep the house in tip-top shape, especially as we will be putting the house for sale in the next few years.) I had originally thought console table but then got practical and thought a place to put coats would be nice as well. Thank you for your advice. Any suggestions for table decor other than lamps? We do not use them (have ceiling can lighting on dimmers), and I really hate buying impracticle pieces or items "just for show". I can do faux flower arrangements but am not a huge fan of "fake flowers" either. So...any other practicle decor suggestions?

Rugs are the thing I have STRUGGLED with the most; do you have any specific suggestions? I have recently found a BRIGHT yellow/white patterned 8x10 rug on o.co that I have been thinking about buying but afraid it will make a "clown's face" of the room.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I' not fond of yellow with brown and think that cream would be a better choice for a rug. Other possibilities are blue, turquoise or lime green.
  • PRO
    Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
    10 years ago
    At this stage in your life, checking out estate sales for a low squared (travel) chest or coffee table and possibly some end tables with interesting lines/legs would be something to look for.....and then paint them out in a neutral/white, distress the paint and apply a clear furniture wax for a sealant. A larger flat weave, sisal ( wool if possible, but costs more, for softness ) would ground the area at the sofas and in front of the fireplace...you wouldn't desperately need one in the dining area. Or, if you want to go more mid century, consider a soft shag in a neutral off white. You may find 2 more squared, less 80's wall sconces for the fireplace wall, something with no shiny metal at a local home improvement store. Maybe a simple iron and stained/opaque glass fixture, keep the straight lines of the fireplace and house in general in mind. The wall color is fine if you want a more natural/beach feel, but to add color, when you can find a big poster, framed, it would add a big splash of color and would look nice on the wall that has the bench/hat rack right now. A long, skinny table with a shelf below the poster for keys/mail. That would be a softer look than the current bench. To declutter, remove the pieces that are on either side of the dining room buffet and replace the tall flower vase with a shorter, wide roundish vase or bowl, no flowers....more pottery piece...something you may find at estate sales,,,fun to look for.
  • cctuttle
    9 years ago
    Love the wood floors. Would change the wall color to mid to light gray if you ever decide to paint. Agree with changing the window treatments. A charcoal gray drapery panel from floor to ceiling would be nice. Extend the rods at least 12" beyond the actual window opening so the drapery panel can barely overlap the window. If you need privacy install a roman shade. Agree with changing the entry bench. Consider a bench that opens up for storage. Love the idea of the red mirror above which would work well with a wicker trunk/bench. Before painting the woodwork I would paint the exterior doors a deep teal blue and the interior doors off white. The gray and white chevron rug is from Pier 1 and would look very cheery in your space. Wouldn't advise putting a rug under the table especially with small children. Agree with removing the items beside the buffet - hard to tell what they actually are from the picture but things look too crowded. A tall palm type plant in a brightly colored - maybe red/red orange - ceramic pot would be perfect to the left of the buffet. Replace the ceiling fan with something more clean lined. The ones posted are from Lamps Plus. I have dealt with this company and like them.
  • vickicz
    9 years ago
    OLD POST
  • PRO
    Michele G
    9 years ago
    How is your room coming along?
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    OLD POST, she has moved on.
  • judithstern
    9 years ago
    Great. Love to see what you have done so far.
  • Nicole Mehelich
    9 years ago

Where are you in MI? There's an Ikea in Canton, at Ford Rd and I-275. Maybe worth a day trip? It's only about 20 mins from where I live.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

Quinnpac has literally moved on--she no longer lives in this house! Check the posting dates on old posts, please!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022