Need help in painting an organizing a guest room to be used as air BNB
sagefarms
I have an old farmhouse ( eyebrow colonial) on 5 acres. I would like to turn the smaller guest room into a place I can rent. Although the back of my house faces a beautiful mountain ridge- there is one tiny window in the hall that allows you to see it. This room is long and narrow with one window. I would like to give it a fun color - add a headboard and a comfy reading chair. The rest if the house is eclectic- any suggestions on how best to brighten and organize the space or any other items that would lend to make it sweet for guests.
lbelmona
Plz take pictures of all the walls around.
May 23, 2013 at 6:07AM     
carolins
I love the colours in your room already. The thing that comes to mind is that if there's only one window, it would be lovely if you could look out of it without having to climb on the bed. So if there's another spot for the bed, you could create a little seating area near the window.

Do you have more photos of the space?

And here's an interesting link for you: http://interiordec.about.com/od/guestroom2/a/invitingguestrm.htm
May 23, 2013 at 6:08AM     
360degrees of photos would help. Post them on this same thread by commenting and using the Attach Images button.
May 23, 2013 at 6:09AM     
carolins

(follow the link under the picture for some inspiration)
May 23, 2013 at 6:09AM     
sagefarms
Here is the view from the bed - the space hasn't been cleared yet). The room is long and narrow- so not really any other options for the bed. I was going to remove the latge dresser and put in something smaller- as to not overwhelm the limited space. Thanks for all the input!
May 23, 2013 at 6:45AM   
apple_pie_order
If you want to rent it out, check what local laws say about fire safety and egress. Also check if short and long term rental is legal where you live.

You'll need to move the bed away from the wall so that it is possible to walk around. There should be two lights and two nightstands, ideally. For a rental, bedding should be new and washable. Delicate heirloom bedding can be displayed on the wall, but not used where it will get damaged from suitcases and spilled coffee. There are good books on how to run bed and breakfast places that cover the nuts and bolts.
May 23, 2013 at 6:46AM   
I suggest a Murphy bed with storage. I reading chair and a good floor lamp.

Also speak to a tax advisor. Possibly you will have some write-offs.
May 23, 2013 at 6:54AM   
lbelmona
Is it possible to turn the bed and place it between the window and the left wall. Give us dimensions of the bed and the room plz
May 23, 2013 at 7:06AM   
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Judy, your room is charming. I luv staying at B 'n Bs & the important thing for me is inviting warm space. You are close to that now.

remove the dresser, as planned & in that space place a small chaise with a throw for guest to relax on & read & look out window. Add a simple roman blind to window for privacy & keeping sun out so guest can sleep in. If space allows, add a small circular table.

I like the other wall furniture layout with mirror & lamp. Keep clear otherwise so guest can place their things there.

Good spot to place fresh towel, soap & face cloth.

What is at foot of bed? I would add European pillows (large squares) with colour shams to make the appearance of bed more inviting. Ensure there is an extra blanket in room for guests who like the weight, or need it for warmth.

Side table looks marred, so you can sand & re-stain or paint, or place a runner on top. Used is not offensive to guests as long as clean & neat.

Instead of table lamp, I would go for a wall mounted light in black metal that has folding arm/swivel. If two guests, they can both read by it, or one can move to chaise. Add floor lamp or wall mounted lamp over chaise.

Good idea to have a few recent magazines & pocket books for guest to read.

Can add art on wall - keep it simple, no frame & colourful to blend in with room

Stay away from scents as finding more & more people are sensitive to scents and can be real turn off.

Is there an adjoining bath? If yes, add pix.
May 23, 2013 at 7:15AM     
nikitasmom
One idea would be to move the bed against the wall with a low headboard facing the window wall, place a bookcase or dresser in front to hide the back of the headboard which can be used in lieu of nightstands. Leave the window area free for a console table with stools. Blackout blinds to block morning sun if needed and for privacy. And another image for furniture layout ideas from Houzz.
May 23, 2013 at 8:31AM   
carolins
A couple of ideas:
- leave the bed against the short wall, but with the headboard on the opposite side to make it easier to look out of the window
- or turn the bed around 1/4, facing the window, move it further down the room and put a wardrobe against the headboard, thus creating a "walk-in closet" , bednook, and seating area near the window.
- if you leave the bed against the short wall, you could hang curtains with tie backs in front of the bed, creating a romantic bednook
- if you turn the bed and place it more towards the middle of the room, you could do a window seat from wall to wall, lots of pillows and add another chair
May 23, 2013 at 9:06AM   
Need help in using this space as an office/guest room.
I have two beds in this room now and am ready to remove...
Need help, how to make my room look more organized
I really want to know how to get my room more organized....
Flooring Transition in Open Floor Plan
We are in the early stages of remodeling part of a...
Mirror for Bedroom or other wall- suggestions for paint color
this mirror is wood - hand carved. it was given to...
What the nook!?
Hello all! Not sure what to do with the little nook...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...