Need help with Curb Appeal
verybusyterri
Have already purchased black wall mounted Carriage Lights to replace all the rusted out Brass fixtures on House and Garage. Need ideas for dressing up landscape, dealing with red paving stones and what color to paint the door and trim. Detail over garage doors? Add more brick to unify garage and front of home or switch to stacked stone...? Or just leave it??? Ideas please1
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I would budget for a pergola to unite the recessed entrance of your home with the garage which is way too prominent. Here's an example, except in reverse.
There's way too much white for my taste. Is it possible to paint the siding a blue-gray that would compliment the brick entrance ? If budget allows I would have brick veneer applied to the facade to match the existing. Can you make a shot of your house that shows the sides more ? Is it a very large property with mostly lawn ? How far are you from the curb/street?
May 23, 2013 at 8:21am     
Worthington Millwork, LLC
Just tinkering around a little... by all means not perfect but i think it gives you an idea.. i think an entrance system around your from porch and possibly even some square columns, a louver over your garage and some bushes/ greenery would be all very inexpensive but would look great!
May 23, 2013 at 8:32am     
Worthington Millwork, LLC
The idea of a pergola is very good! also!
May 23, 2013 at 8:33am   
DMH DESIGN
Terri, I have a few suggestions for the elevation, and certainly, landscaping should also be part of your grand scheme. Given the thin wall returns on the sides of the garage, any brick or stone cladding may appear contrived. Stone works best when it is worked into the original design when the width of the walls you are cladding are at least 24" wide, otherwise you are fighting the scale of the material, unless it were to be used on the entire face. I wouldn't recommend this, and I believe there are ways to work around this. I would suggest painting the trim to match the roof, similar to the garage and side doors. I wish there were a way to easily increase the width of the entry steps, but that would require raising the side door into your garage. Is this the primary door into the garage, or is there one in the home. for now, we'll assume it is your primary access. The wainscoting idea is about having a chance to introduce a "grounding" color, perhaps the trim color? to add both detail and color. Here is a sketch of one means of addressing your issues. I hope that it helps you visualize these suggestions effectively.
May 23, 2013 at 9:35am     
verybusyterri
Gary - its a 1/3 acre lot with the house spanning the middle... very narrow walkway beside the garage and about 10 feet to the left of living room double windows which needs to be kept clear for boat access. House is positioned about 90 feet from the road. Lot is (facing from street) highest on left rear and lowest on right front. View across the street is a low rise house and beyond is the lake.
May 23, 2013 at 9:54am   
verybusyterri
Worthington... I like the greenery and the detail over the door/garage. Ideas for painting the doors?
May 23, 2013 at 10:02am   
verybusyterri
DMH - wow.... you just whipped that up! I am wondering what you had in mind for the wainscoting in terms of material? Also, yes that door is the ONLY door into the garage... and I am intrigued by the trellis over the garage doors.... this is Wine Country/Semi Arid Desert and so I could grow almost anything over top of that... Love the bricked in planter idea... would have to extend steps on left... but that wouldn't be a big deal. Can't do much on right. The wainscoting allows me to add detail around garage doors where its so narrow... I can't tell from the drawing what you've done with the front doors?
May 23, 2013 at 10:05am   
DMH DESIGN
Thanks VBT--I used the photo as a basis for the drawing. As the roof line is based off of the plate height of the house, which is three steps above the garage, you appear to have 18" above the garage doors where a trellis could go. The support braces would need to be a bit lower than the trellis, but that shouldn't interfere with the walk into the house if the trellis were shallow, say 16" out from the wall, using a pair of cedar or p.t. 2X8's for the main cross members--it wouldn't be that heavy, and you can pressure block it back into the wall in locations between the bracing. Just enough to break up the facade. As for the wainscot, likely Hardie panel with base with strips of same cut to length and applied over to create the shadow boxes, with a continuous piece of chamfered redi-trim above to provide a landing spot for the flashing that would go up underneath the existing siding. I understand, these are ideas, pick and choose which ones you like. If I had to '86' one, it would be the trellis.
May 23, 2013 at 10:25am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Since you're so far from the road the first thing I would do is create an interesting island of trees/shrubs, ornamental grasses, perennials near the road , like this one below .
May 23, 2013 at 10:28am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Then if you add an overhead pergola you could add trees, shrubs and flowers around that area .
May 23, 2013 at 10:47am   
Need help with color of house & trim, need CURB APPEAL!
Front door has been changed to dark walnut woodgrain...
Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our...
Do I need 2 Coffee tables in my living room?
I have a glass square one ...nice but doesn't work...
Need help with my living room
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still...
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
Bathroom floorplan
I just don't like the way the builder has this bathroom...