What colors can be used for an accent wall in a house that has natural oak trim and balanced beige walls?
qh801
In my home everything is extremely neutral and I am looking to add some color into it. I need some suggestions
PH Interiors, LLC
From your picture, I don't see a logical place for an accent wall. I recommend some large colorful artwork and add some interest with window treatments such as simple roman shades in a colorful pattern.
May 23, 2013 at 10:59AM     
qh801
Not a good idea to paint the wall with the fireplace on it?
May 23, 2013 at 11:04AM   
qh801
The living room is L shaped so its hard to get a great image of the room
May 23, 2013 at 11:05AM   
I prefer accent walls be small and unpierced by windows or doors. I don't mind a FP wall if the FP is the only thing on it. If you find a suitable wall, a green might work with your furnishings. Check at homedecorators.com for an area rug, You can shop by color, so check out what they have in green. Consider indoor/outdoor since you have kids, it seems.
May 23, 2013 at 11:06AM     
qh801
Thank you and yes I have 2 boys that keep things busy :)
May 23, 2013 at 11:10AM   
bluenan
I absolutely agree with PH, no accent wall...
May 23, 2013 at 11:15AM   
PH Interiors, LLC
Yes, the wall with the FP is too large and spans too much of the room to be treated like an accent wall. Think of an accent wall like jewelry or handbags - just a touch. And I agree with Deco that a colorful area rug would also make a huge difference.
May 23, 2013 at 11:15AM   
clafata
paint the trim. natural oak is so dated. whit trim is very versatile
May 23, 2013 at 11:17AM   
clafata
and paint the fireplace
May 23, 2013 at 11:18AM   
thinkwhite
Some ideas: Place your sofa facing your fireplace and a chair on each side of the fireplace facing the sofa at an angle or facing each other. You picked neutral colors, your smart girl! This allows you to pick any color you want to accent your room and bring it into a fun space.

Add: A low table in front of the sofa (once you move it) would give your family to place to play games, etc. Just find one and paint it a cute color from a garage sale. I once found a cute square table and cut the legs off so it was about 17 inches high, and painted it an aqua color. Use spray paint, it's fun and quick!

I would pick a FUN COLORFUL canvas art piece to put above the fireplace. It looks like you need a horizontal shape, not a square one. However, you may need to bring home a couple of sizes and shapes to see what you like. Just be generous with the size, as your fireplace is pretty big. Measure your fireplace before you pick out your canvas.

Remove the small pictures on your mantle and place them with the other large picture above your mantle on another wall. If you want them to have more impact, paint all the frames the same color, or place the smaller pictures in larger frames (all the same color) in a grouping.

If you decide to do an accent color for your wall behind the fireplace, pick it from your canvas. I could see a medium or darker aqua color in your room. Target has some great canvas art to look at for ideas.

Pick pillows to add punch, but not solids as your sofa is a solid color. I prefer two large pillows instead of many small ones that just end up on the floor anyway. Again, Target is a great place to find a canvas and pillows. Pick them out the same day. If your canvas is colorful, your pillows can still be very colorful. Be creative!

Roman shades would look fine on your windows. I would pick a color that does not blend in with your window frame color. Maybe pick a darker brown, or a lighter tan with with a slight texture or pattern. Lower them about a third of the length of your windows or maybe a little less and leave them there. You have great windows!

The wall back by your TV looks big and expansive. If you choose a canvas for your fireplace, you could add a piece of metal art in that space. Just make sure it is big enough and doesn't just blend in with your accent color. If your leave your walls the color they are, any metal art piece would look great! Once again, Target has some fun ones.

Remember, start with your canvas and two large pillows. Bigger is better when it comes to picking out a canvas, pillows, a table to put in front of your sofa, or a metal art piece.

You really don't need to go and pick many things. We all tend to pick many small things, spend more money than we need to, and don't know how to group them anyway. Be brave with your canvas and pillows! You want to walk into your room and smile at your brave and creative choices!

I could see your accent wall a rich aqua color with a fun canvas that is a bit abstract, and pillows that are colorful and fun! Did I mention to not pick small pillows? HA HA Good Luck!
May 23, 2013 at 12:11PM   
sheryl N
First you need to remove all those pictures from the mantel and the wall above the fireplace. Go to a store and look at their pillow choices, choose 2 or 3 accent colors that you like, eggplant purple, green and bamboo, for example. Then buy 3 pillows in those colors/designs and some candles and tall candle holders in silver or gold and maybe a vase or 2, one tall, one round but small. Put white sheers on the windows, simple but elegant, and maybe an accent color draping across the top, sth like dusty grey or purple, put the tall candleholders/sticks on the left and the vases on the right side of the mantel. Then buy a beautiful print with whatever colors you've chosen above the fireplace, this should be long and narrow, not short like you have now. Then arrange your furniture, sofa opposite the fireplace and 2 chairs to the right of the sofa with a square coffee table in the middle, you might also look for a sofa to sit opposite these two chairs, dividing the fireplace area and the tv area which you have to the left if you have enough space to have 2 areas, one for sitting, one for watching tv, if not, just put the sofa in front of the fp and the chairs to the right with a table inthe center. You could also put a long consol table behind the sofa. Put some greenery or large pottery on the floor to the left of the fireplace and something tall on the right, such as a fireplace set,(sorry, I forgot what we call this in English) but it has all the tools necessary for cleaning/caring for the fp.:-) This will make the room cozy. Put your family pics in colored frames and hang them on the wall as artwork.
May 23, 2013 at 12:32PM   
qh801
These pics are views of the room from different angles. I have no decorating skills and we like a rustic cowboyish style. I am trying to make the house more of a home and bring in some style and color. I appreciate the input.
May 23, 2013 at 12:46PM   
qh801
Another view
May 23, 2013 at 12:47PM   
sheryl N
If you want rustic, stain your fireplace dark walnut and your window frames too. Put curtains all along the back wall where your tv is now, use bronze and gold or dark brown and taupe/ cappucino colors with cream sheers, make the 2 windows seem as 1, then put the 2 chairs at angles infront of the windows. Next, put your sofas in an L-shape in front of the fireplace and to the left of the fireplace with a square coffee table inthe center. Also, put a small table between the 2 chairs. You can put your tv above the fireplace, but i suggest you change your furniture to an Lshaped sofa and put the tv in the center of the two windows with some greenery on each side. it would be a suitable alternative and look at my suggestions above about decorating your fireplace. On the back wall where you have hung the deer's head you could put a small antique desk and hang the other head there as well.
May 23, 2013 at 1:16PM     
The deer head wall would be the one I'd use an accent on if you still want it. Agree with the "L" for the sofas if workable in your square footage.
May 24, 2013 at 8:06AM   
thinkwhite
put the deer heads out in the garage
May 24, 2013 at 9:23AM     
Committed Photography, Inc.
Try these art recommendations below. You can have them printed on canvas, or paper and to the specific size that you need. Enjoy!
http://committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/4400 http://committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/4392 http://committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/4404 http://committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/4396
May 24, 2013 at 10:21AM     
Unique Homes Construction
I suggest to get ready of all that oak trim and mantel...
May 24, 2013 at 10:32AM   
qh801
Hunting is a huge part of our family and the garage is not a place for our trophies. I understand that the oak may be "outdated" however I do not want to paint and have to deal with the up keep of the chipping of paint etc.
May 27, 2013 at 10:58AM   
KShoa
oops forgot to attach images...
May 27, 2013 at 1:11PM   
Opinions! Antique coffered ceiling
Hi! My husband and I recently moved into our home...
Any ideas on renovating to improve this entrance-way??
Low roof line and so close to the ground....what could...
Need Help Deciding on Kitchen Backsplash
I need help deciding on a backsplash for my kitchen....
Wrought iron or wooden double door
What type front door would look best on a stone house?...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...