Buttery yellow cabinets make way for cool grey or white?
Kathleen Hilmer-Kendall
Hey design experts! I need some assistance with new cabinet paint color (or colors?) for my kitchen. I painted these about 9 years ago and they are in need of some new coats and an update. We are currently looking for a new house – so need something that is “buyer friendly” (i.e. suits most tastes) but we can still enjoy while we try to find our dream home.

Kitchen is a galley type style with all appliances along one wall and then a peninsula with open shelves above that creates the other wall. There is darker cherry color wood paneling against the back wall and on the non-cabinet side of the peninsula. Grey and white vinyl floor tiles and square ceramic gray and white backsplash. White appliances and black laminate counters. Not planning on replacing any of those things. Well, could be convinced to change out counter but it would be another laminate. Our house and neighborhood can’t really support anything higher end as far as resale.

My thoughts have been either white or a light dove gray (to tie in the floor and wall tile). I actually really like the cheery yellow and wonder if white will be too stark? Going to add door and drawer handles also. The hinges are a burnished brass color. May spray paint the hinges to match new pulls or buy pulls that match (haven’t decided).

Two questions:
* What color do you like for the cabinets?
* For the open shelves above the peninsula, perhaps those could painted a dark brown wood tone to match the paneling? Or paint them the same color as the cabinets?
S Squared Design
Hello there! I think a light cool grey would look great. Some suggestions would be, Sherwin Williams 7015 Repose Gray, 7064 Passive or 7071 Gray Screen. Since it is hard to tell on a computer what the gray is on the floor, I say go to the store and grab these samples to see which one looks better. Also, don't try to match the wood paneling with a brown paint, it will most likely look slightly off and noticeable. I would stick with the same color you select for the rest of the cabinets. White has been done and with your style of cabinets, it will look generic. Since you are planning to paint them make they slightly different, gray is still a great neutral color. Hope this helps!
May 23, 2013 at 10:56am     
Rockin' Fine Finish
Look at at rock gray or delay gray from Benjamin Moore
May 23, 2013 at 2:23pm   
redheadedwmn
Agree with above - Grey. That should tie everything together nicely. And paint the shelves the same as the cabinets.

I also suggest if you are going to keep the hinges to paint them to blend with the cabinets. And get new brushed nickel or stainless drawer/cabinet pulls. I think the brass would take away from the overall look.
May 23, 2013 at 2:41pm   
Kathleen Hilmer-Kendall
We went with Repose Grey. Brushed nickel hardware and spray painted the hinges to match. Have gotten a ton of compliments. Including a staging decorator! Thanks everyone :)
July 15, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Make something out of nothing
We're purchasing a gone from a builder that won't allow...
Need help with kitchen breakfast table, stools & lighting
Hello all!! I am looking to make some small changes...
Would appreciate any advice on making my ugly house less ugly!
Here is our house. It will need a new roof and I definitely...
Decor ideas living/dining space
I just moved in to my new apartment few weeks ago....