Decorating a shelf above M/W where cabinet had to be removed
chien6noirMay 23, 2013
Renovating the kitchen and in order to have room for the new M/W above the stove the cabinet had to be removed and an outlet put on. How should I decorate to hide the outlet?
chien6noir
The shelf will be between the cabinets 12" high, they will install the M/W tomorow after the shelf is installed today.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:54AM
gogoellen
Is it a perfect place to keep your cookbooks????
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:55AM
chien6noir
I thought maybe painting the wall a buttery yellow and placing a small light and maybe some fake green plant or would that look dated and tacky? Since I dont cook much and have one cookbook that was a wedding present 44 yrs ago, I guess I could try to see how it looks there.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 11:02AM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- I'm not quite understanding. . . Will the MW be in the lower portion of this "cubby" and the shelf 12" above the bottom of the MW? And will you be using that outlet for the MW?
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 11:42AM
chien6noir
Yes, the M/W will be attached to be bottom of the shelf and will be plugged into the outlet that you can see.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:08PM
leelee
Place decorative bowls and pitchers on the shelf. No fake green plants, you're exactly right, they'll look tacky. That's funny (I'm not making fun of you) one cookbook in 44 years. Hey, I don't cook either...thank goodness my husband's a great cook.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:30PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- A great spot for cookbooks - that is only if they are in good shape! Mine are all covered with dried up cookie dough and smudges from who knows what . . .

Paint the shelf, the little wall, the outlet cover, the cord and plug that goes to the MW. The chocolate color that matches your cupboards would help disguise the oh-ohs on that wall and help it blend in as though nothing had been removed from there. Or a dark, saturated color that is a take-off on other colors you are using in the kitchen.

You could also use a fun color that would play off objects you put on the shelf. Place something tall in front of the cord and you will just forget that it is there!

Lean a piece of art over the cord/socket and add a small related piece of pottery on the shelf - maybe 2.

A colorful piece of sculpture or a statue on the shelf - like His Majesty, the rooster.

Shop flea markets, thrift shops,, antique shows for something out-of-this-world interesting. A vintage toaster, copper pots, etc. You can have a ton of fun designing this small cubby!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:10PM
pcmom1
Take it from me, you don't actually have to cook to collect cookbooks! I pick them up at thrift stores for display. I look like a great cook!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:16PM
onthefence
I don't think I'd put cookbooks up there. Regardless of how good the vent fan is, there is going to be some steam and cooking residue rising and books will end up looking cruddy. I'd go for something easily washable like brightly colored mixing bowls.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:40PM
onthefence
Maybe something like the photo below or find some vintage pyrex bowls if you can. Mouse over the photo below to see the top shelf. If you're lucky enough to have a bright Le Creuset that would be fun too!

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:42PM
chien6noir
Thanks for all the great ideas, it will be fun to get it looking just right and then post it here.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 7:49PM
leelee
I think you'll be able to hide the cord & plug with "stuff" but you could also have a fake wall that would slide in and go all the way back to the plug. Paint it the same color as the walls. Put a small quarter-round border on the edges so it'll look finished and 4 stopper blocks on the back corners so it'll stay squarely in it's place.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 5:19AM
Sandy G. ltd.
leelee's idea is a total 10+! Wish I would have thought of it!
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:10AM
chien6noir
Here is the finished shelf, what do you think?
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:45PM
leelee
Now you need a chicken picture or a rooster for the hen house. Cute!!! Reminds me of a Nativity scene. Love it.
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:27PM
chien6noir
Very happy. The only problem is now I want to do another project so it looks like resurfacing the counters will be it. Thank you to everyone who posted and for the great ideas and suggestions. Love Houzz!
    Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:08AM
chien6noir
It is finished, what do you think? Thanks to all the good ideas.
    Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:10PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Nicely done, chien6noir! It looks fantastic and no one would ever guess what it used to look like!
    Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:21PM
leelee
The chickens would look better without the tiles behind them...not in keeping with the chickens. Do a plain background.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 7:24AM
chien6noir
Thanks Leelee, what would you recommend, please give me some ideas.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:49AM
chien6noir
The reason for the tile is to hide the electrical plug that is powering the M/W. If not chicks, what would look good in front of the tile?
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:54AM
leelee
See my "solution" two entries above the first pic you posted of the chickens. Then your chickens go in front of the fake wall.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:39AM
pcmom1
I agree that the chickens would look better with a simple background.

I would go to Michael's and pick up a few cork tiles (dark would blend with cabinets, but lighter would show off chickens more). These could be attached to any stiff backing, that is cut to fit into your shelf, such as heavy cardboard or thin plywood.

You could also cover the plywood in a simple burlap or other plain rustic material.

I love the chickens and also display a few!
    Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 11:10AM
What should I put on this shelf?
My husband put this shelf over our sliding glass doors...
dlillwitz
How to decorate my mantle w a 14ft ceiling?!
We have tall ceilings in our new house. I'm totally...
jimmypaige
Unusual stone fireplace surround w/ sloped wall above
We just bought a house and I am NOT a fan of the stone...
sessaly
Need help in kitchen / family room w drop ceiling removal - storage etc. ideas...
1) Drop ceiling in kitchen that we would like to remove...
kimjdenny
prep sinks
Planning a kitchen remodel and we're going to put a...
stosh55
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
We need to stage our home to list it? Suggestions?
A few rooms have no furniture, one small room is used...
jmurzinski