Electrician coming in 2 days- still unsure

oojeanieMay 23, 2013
I removed the soffit above the island with the intention of opening up the kitchen. The globe light will be removed. The outer soffit recessed will stay. I had planned on adding 2-3 pendants over the island and 4 recessed in the ceiling around the island. I am afraid that I am defeating my purpose and the dangling pendants will break up the kitchen. I could add a semi-flush as attached which would match the white glass in the ceiling fan light over the table. Maybe this would be more open looking. It would also be cheaper. All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The semi-flush will not provide a lot of good task lighting. I would use recessed above the island and you could make them dimmable if you wished.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 11:40AM
oojeanie
I don't really do any work at the island, it just catches the mail, and I use the storage underneath.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 12:42PM
sstarr93
How about all recessed lighting, and a copper pot rack over the island?
portfolio · More Info
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:17PM
Chris Jones Home Improvements and Woodworking
That sounds like a winner!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:34PM
imhofan
I think you are right about three pendants being a bit much; especially since this is not used as a seating area. In addition to the recessed you have planned, I would install one larger hanging pendant over the work island... maybe a metal finish. A semi flush will hang too high and distract your eye up to the ceiling; a pot rack in my opinion is distracting also,unless you have a collection of fabulous copper pans to display. Do the rest recessed as you planned.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:39PM
Interior Analysis
I agree I would just put in recessed above the island and I would suggest you removing the large recessed in the soffit above the cabinets with 8 4" halogen lights will give you better lighting. Also what about using a piece of black glass behind the stove will give some pop and might also paint the island black.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:42PM
Sarah Bernardy Design
Sounds like you really want the kitchen to feel open and therefore the change. I would either do all recessed or for a more decorative touch add the semi flush fixture which also brings in another type of lighting for the various tasks you do in the kitchen, like eating and entertaining. A pot rack only looks good if you have fabulous pots and if you don't cook often can collect dust.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:42PM
oojeanie
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! The one thing I know I wouldn't put in is a pot rack--too bulky.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:35PM
oojeanie
What about this pendant for a single one? Is it too big? It would match the schoolhouse light on the ceiling fan. It can be hung with or without the cord.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:48PM
oojeanie
Or what about this mini chandelier? Since it doesn't shine down, wioll it light the whole kitchen?
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:53PM
tennisanyone
I would just do all recessed lights. I would also paint your island black to tie in with the rest of the appliances. I would also do a great looking chandalier in the eating area instead of the fan. Those simple change will make a big difference.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:55PM
oojeanie
This has 6 lights that shine up. Would this work? It is a different color glass than my ceiling fan light, does that matter?? I think it is pretty.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 3:56PM
oojeanie
How many recessed would I use if I did 6 inch? 4 in a square? 6? 9? (I think 9 would be too many swiss cheese holes)
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:08PM
tennisanyone
I had just recessed lights installed in my kitchen and the electrician decided for me.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:12PM
imhofan
I love your last image... the six light. Beautiful and will cast a nice warm light option when you don't want all the recessed on. Put the chandelier on a dimmer too for just a little glow option, evening etc. Let your electrician advise you on the position and number of recessed lights.... 3-4 ft between each can...
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 7:25PM
Merry Christmoozz!! Still trending... lol... at my houzz:)
I thought I would get a leg up on my Christmoozz decorating....
OLLD 2/2
Happy Groundhog Day! I think I heard that spring is...
mpoulsom
Are rustic ladders still cool?
Trying to decide if i should get one of these ladders...
misshayley
Do you have a formal dining room? Is it still a dining room?
Does your home has a formal dining room? If so, are...
Unsure about the stain we chose :(
The guy did a great job, and I like the color. But...
dasha81
steam shower
Want to put a steam shower in the master bathroom and...
emaltman
Please Help with Door Hardware
We are replacing all of the doors/trim/moulding throughout...
sllevy1031
Main Living Room
Hello, All, I'm still tweaking this room. It's my main...
leestep
Need Help choosing right paint color for Dormers and siding
First and foremost, I don't like the brick color. ...
andeo19sper
wood floor help
We're in the process of starting to build a house,...
rika99