Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlycook

Ideas for window treatments please

curlycook
10 years ago
These are my west facing great room windows which have window film installed. The coffered ceiling is 13 ft high and the space between the sets of windows is 2 feet. I have 15 inches of room to stack on each side and 12 inches between windows.. I would greatly appreciate ideas for window treatments to reduce light and glare. Thank you!

Comments (18)

• Brenda
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    The Alumont · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Kiawah Vacation Home · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Hospital Home Lottery 2012 - Great Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Texas Hill Study · More Info
    ]
  • curlycook
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Brenda! I like a couple of those. I saw this one in an idea book, but not sure if it's a stellar option.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    do you need to cover the upper windows for light control, or just the lower ones?
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    Curtain panels installed between each set of windows to the top would look beautiful, but will do nothing to stop glare. I like the Kiawah room option. You have film on the windows and still have glare? Faux wrought iron in the top windows could filter light/glare.
  • sharon3986
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of a single drop light sheer for these windows (which are beautiful!). You could put a block out behind them for privacy at night if you need it. It will keep the room looking light and airy and will look visually balanced. The previous pics posted provide a couple of great options. Good luck!
  • curlycook
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Brenda, I mostly need to cover the bottom when the teens are watching television in this room. I thought I wanted the bare window look, but I've changed my mind and think window treatments add to the look of a room.

JMittman, The room stays cool with the films, but it is still so bright it causes a glare on the tv. I really like the woven blind picture, too.

Sharon, I am guessing the single drop light sheer is like the Alumont picture? Or does that mean covering the lower windows only? How does the block out attach for night privacy? I am intrigued! The decorator I hired wanted to put formal heavy silk panels between each window with a tassel detail about 2/3's up. I hesitated and I am glad I asked the Houzzers!

Thank you!
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    I give up. I have been trying to attach file/photo for a Hunter Douglas Vignette Collection of top down bottom up blinds. The pictures are fabulous and will give you an idea of what you can do with your room. Do a search here on houzz. You can install these blinds also with remote for instance and keep the tops shut all the way or halfway and then do what you like with the bottom that is conducive to the light and time of day and what's going on in the room. Most important with television glare is that you can do away with the glare! Your teenagers will be so happy you will have them in your home in this room forever or at least until they have children of their own! Good luck!
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    Frankly I think curtain panels look nice in these photos but their upkeep would be a horror. I like to think I'm being realistic but in truth I might just be getting lazy instead of wiser as I age.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Madeline, I think your idea is great so I found these pix on line. They are not Hunter Douglas tho...

curlycook -- If you drape the windows, you could install curtains in the upper windows that are on rods at the top and bottom. These uppers could match the lower draperies. Sheer fabric would let some light in but would cut most of the glare. These would be stationary.

You could also have stained glass windows made, using the usual technique, but using frosted or patterned glass[s] that would diffuse the light. Or, simply frame some frosted or patterned glass in matching wood to your woodwork and install. Glass also comes clear with a pattern that would look nice too and do the job. You can combine frosted & clear in a design that would look nice.

If you use colored glass, the colored light coming through the window will change colors in your room.
  • PRO
    Urban Decors
    10 years ago
    you can try motorized drapes floor to ceiling, it will help with light and heat control 365 days a year. It will not only be stylish and VERY convenient but it will also help you save money on your energy bill. In the long run it should pay for itself...
  • sharon3986
    10 years ago
    Curlycook, I am thinking along the lines of the Josh McHugh design in the first lot of pics. Same style as the single white drop (in whatever colour suits you, of course!). I'm no curtain expert, but there are dozens of options for tracks around and a sheer with a block out behind it would hang on two separate tracks so that they can be opened or closed independent of each other. If necessary, the tracks can be mounted on the roof and the curtains drop from there. You will obviously need professional advice on that, but I will try and upload some pics for you so you can get an idea.
  • sharon3986
    10 years ago
    Here are some more ideas for you re how the tracking might look.
  • nancy22032
    10 years ago
    I have used blinds like the Hunter-Douglas honeycomb type for years in several houses. The advantages are that they admit light but not glare, individual blinds would allow you to have some windows covered but not all , and they definitely have an insulating factor.
  • denisepeng
    10 years ago
    More picture for you. Hope it will help and give you some ideas. You can visit www.cheerycurtains.com for more curtains choice.
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    @Sandy. Thank you for your comments and ALSO a million times thank you for the photo of the Vignette shades. That was the photo I attempted to attach to my comments. I think the photo captures the beauty of the shades and their usefulness (being to down, bottom up). Sheer curtains (or any white curtains) do look beautiful but I don't know how they would contain the glare involved when one wishes to watch television during the afternoon. We had a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean for years but when college football came on, the view went away! My husband a native Los Angeleno and a Bruin Class of 1965 would have it no other way. (Glare does not seem to matter since we've been stuck living in a small beach town in N.E. Florida. I don't usually watch television and when my husband is lucky enough to get a Bruin game, it'll mostly be at ten o'clock at night).
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    - madeline - - we simply cannot have you giving up! I just decided to give it a go and got lucky, that's all. I hope you are enjoying the Florida weather!

- curlycook, the shades that madeline suggested are the ticket - I have used them but they were not controlled by a remote. That would have been great. . I do like the clear/frosted glass inserts too. Have used them also as sidelights btw. dinette and sunroom and beside front doors.
  • PRO
    Pleotint LLC
    9 years ago
    Have you found a solution to reduce your glare problem?
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio