Dark, scratched up trim
gigi62181
My house has dark (red oak) trim that wasn't stained very well when it was installed, and has also been scratched up by many large dogs over the years. I want to redo my kitchen entirely, and have my red oak hardwood floors refinished, but I don't know what to do with all the trim. There is way too much throughout the house to resand and restain it all. Oh, I also have functional wood beams across my 19' living room ceiling that are stained red oak and plan to leave them this way. Can I paint it darker? or should I paint it lighter? My house is in an adarondack style and white trim doesn't seem right.
Rockin' Fine Finish
Could you post a pic of the damaged wood some times if its not to damaged you can spray on a tinted lacquer to cover some uneven stain
May 24, 2013 at 7:55am     
Genevieve
Yes pictures would help a lot , thanks:)
May 24, 2013 at 8:15am   
bluezette
You might want to try touching up the scratches with Minwax Stain Markers. (www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-wood-finish-stain-marker ). It's quick and cheap, especially if you still have dogs, and don't want to refinish the entire house. It will make the scratches less noticeable and annoying until you're ready to paint or refinish.
May 24, 2013 at 8:43am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You indicate there is too much trim to sand and restain, but painting it would take far longer and cost more in order to properly prepare it and get a good quality paint job. You can freshen scratched up wood trim by sanding it slightly, wiping on stain lightly, then put on poly. It is not that difficult to do. We do it regularly when a client wants a room painted and they have stained trim. You can tackle it room by room and do it as you can. It makes a huge difference.
May 24, 2013 at 11:16am   
POLL: Front- or Side-Loading Garage?
Do you prefer a garage that's accessed from the front...
Calling Houzz Regulars/ Puzzle Lovers: Powder/Closet Layout
New Powder Room and Master walk in closet layout ideas...
Composite PVC for front porch?
We live in an urban rowhouse. Our contractor thinks...
Need help for my kitchen!
I'm doing a complete new kitchen renovation. I've attached...