Decorating suggestions
den135
Any suggestions on how to complete this look. Throw pillow colour? Accent pieces? Plants? Picture ideas?
You have good bones here and I would leverage the carpet to bring the colours in. I see a lovely deep purple/aubergine set of pillows to break up the (one per side) - perhaps add three purple pillows and mix it p a bit on both sofas.
Of course you need some wall art above the sofa against the wall - perhaps something abstract but avoid a repeat of the ombre stripes as it will be too much.
I would love to see a bigger coffee table as well
May 24, 2013 at 11:37AM     
Keitha
I agree with ASV... Maybe a big square coffee table. Also possibly replace the lamps to a more updated style.
May 24, 2013 at 7:14PM     
vickishaub
I love the rug. I agree with ASV but I can also see teal pillows as accents.
May 25, 2013 at 4:06PM     
den135
What do you think of the update?
May 25, 2013 at 6:58PM     
Much better. Can you hang the pictures about 5" above the sofa back?
May 25, 2013 at 7:32PM     
kaywil01
Pictures definitely need to be hung higher.
May 25, 2013 at 7:37PM     
donnasd
Better! Did you make any changes to the window wall?
May 25, 2013 at 8:20PM   
Beverly Vosko Interiors and Remodeling
The pictures are supposed to be hung and eye level, so I think they need to be hung at least a foot higher than they currently are hung now. I suggest a slightly larger square glass coffee table. It will be useable from both sofas, be less visible and will enable you to see the rug better. If yo want more color, why not paint the walls a soft version of one of the colors in the rug, maybe a soft grey...
May 25, 2013 at 9:04PM     
kaylers
Bring out a blue and green or blue and purple or green and purple. Not all three though.
May 25, 2013 at 9:09PM   
den135
Ok, here is a better shot in the daylight. I put the pictures higher.
May 26, 2013 at 1:53PM     
shelleyuk
Definitely shows how artwork brings the room together
May 26, 2013 at 2:06PM     
donnasd
It's much nicer, now. It's kind of hard to tell, but are the walls a light teal? If not, you might want the paint color to be a very, very pale teal. I think the shade needs to be in the same color family as the throw pillows and the teal in the rug.
May 26, 2013 at 2:35PM     
imargiti
the improvement is significant...lovely room
May 26, 2013 at 2:59PM     
Ann
Beautiful - fantastic job updating your room!!!!
May 26, 2013 at 3:12PM   
Brooke Strong
Great! Just a tiny change and what an impact. I agree that I would choose a larger but glass coffee table if you have the option. It will open the room up more.
May 26, 2013 at 3:28PM     
Great improvement!
May 27, 2013 at 6:14AM   
donnasd
It is a wonderful space and one that you'll love to coming home to. And one that your company will enjoy as well.
May 27, 2013 at 7:31AM   
sharon1
Gone from 'furnished apartment for rent ' to very inviting living space. The blue pillows, fabulous! Just biggie up that coffee table like everyone is saying and your done. Maybe square bevel glass type as Brooke Strong says to not cover up too much of that beautiful rug.
You really were ready to move on this, you took the recommendations and ran with them.
May 27, 2013 at 9:46AM     
kaywil01
Everything looks very nice..
May 2, 2014 at 12:02PM   
Ginny Lizotte
Would you consider laying the carpet with the stripes going in other direction?
May 2, 2014 at 12:14PM     
Valentina Tassini
I would try a lighter carpet on the floor...the one you have definitely kills your coffee table, while a white or cream carpet would make it pop...
May 6, 2014 at 8:42AM   
Nicole Smith
It looks good I would suggest changing the coffee table, something really different so it i not so matchy, matchy!
May 6, 2014 at 8:45AM   
Korroong Time Jeeartit
Everythings here are brown, I mean the overall look of this room is too brown. I would suggest to re-painting the wall with the bright colour, change the coffee table to be white, using the white curtain and differently change the rug pleases.
May 6, 2014 at 8:55AM     
5450
Please change direction of carpet
May 6, 2014 at 9:12AM   
mom2samlibby
LOVE IT!!!
May 6, 2014 at 9:53AM   
boogaloo38
Couches re-covered and a huge painting above back sofa
May 6, 2014 at 10:30AM   
Muriel Geny-Triffaut
Agreed Virginia Lizotte. The sofas and rug are so beautiful, it is a great combination. However, I would also get a bigger, more substantial coffee table. That one looks scrawny and diminutive. I would also change the curtains. Something beige with a very light hint of grey would lift the entire room and make it look more substantial and dreamy.
May 6, 2014 at 10:57AM   
Zanna Russell
I love the last photo, the the art hung at eye level. This would be a very warm and relaxing place to hang out. The colors are soothing and the patterns interesting without one overwhelming another. I absolutely adore the rug! I did I miss the notation of where you got it or who makes it?
May 6, 2014 at 11:59AM     
Zanna Russell
I second the comments about pulling colors for the pillows from the rug.
May 6, 2014 at 12:00PM   
Perfectly You - A Decorating Service
Great job!!
May 6, 2014 at 1:02PM   
Jeannette White
Update lamps and put a large picture above the couch. Something that pulls in the colors of the rug.
May 6, 2014 at 2:30PM   
rfitzger06250
I would change the carpet to something lighter, bring pops of colors (aqua and peach/salmon) through pillows, lamps & a garden stool. I would get a white or cream table. Lighten the wall to a lighter shade of aqua or cream color.
May 6, 2014 at 2:42PM   
bumbles12
Your room is looking so much nicer, although I think I would remove or change your drapes as they are too dark and heavy looking. Good luck.
May 6, 2014 at 3:28PM   
editorial
With the drapes, I would get a patterned (lattice-type) fabric incorporating your colours and extend the rod so the drapes hang straight on both sides with a blind for privacy (maybe in a delicate woven wood)... Then get a larger, square basket or two to put under the coffee table for maybe a throw. Put a couple of interesting books on the table too. :-)
May 6, 2014 at 3:41PM   
Louise
I think it needs a large bright picture on the wall, replace those cushions & add a floor lamp.
May 6, 2014 at 5:01PM   
gracey999
I like the lamps Keitha showed. I like the pics but I like mirrors, I would rather the chair be in the other empty corner and I would move the love seat up...more cozy and maybe a glass coffee table...not all glass but something with glass :) It's still pretty though.
May 6, 2014 at 5:39PM   
wubbie
Your room looks very nice. The only change I would make is the table. I would add a round table or a large colored ottoman. It would add a beautiful pop of color, Good Luck!
May 6, 2014 at 5:51PM   
Pacific Coastal Home Staging
Get rid of the rug, and get something more plain. Design on rug draws the eye to the floor instead of up to the room. Update lamps, pictures are fine and at the right height.
May 6, 2014 at 7:56PM     
jjandhk
wow--I think you've done a beautiful job!
May 6, 2014 at 8:09PM   
coopercj
Very nice - but notice you have two side by side paintings in living room, two similar concept in the dining room and two other similar shape shelves side by side in between on the same wall....maybe switch the shelves to another spot and add something circular, there.....a mirror? Just to add a little contrast?
May 6, 2014 at 8:09PM     
HomeScapes San Diego
It looks better all the time - it's a beautiful room, you're doing a great job - if you decide to change the coffee table for something lighter maybe a glass one or rustic?
May 6, 2014 at 11:16PM   
Sheila Adams
Green plant, accent pillows, pivotal art piece: painting
May 7, 2014 at 3:56AM     
Natalie
Hi---nice space. A mural would look amazing. :) http://www.muralsyourway.com/rainforest-designs-mural/#
May 7, 2014 at 7:29AM     
Rugs Done Right
The rug looks awesome - Orian truly has some great offerings - here is a link to the rug if anyone else is interested in it! https://www.rugsdoneright.com/ProductDetail.asp?SKU_ID=53954&ImageName=1624-Orian-Rainbow-n_a-Rectangular.gif
Also, we are currently offering coupon HZ20 for an additional 20% savings for our Houzz community members!!
May 8, 2014 at 1:10PM   
GSI Studios
Good qualit original Art (large) & books - lots of books!
May 16, 2014 at 10:21PM     
Need help with decor and color Suggestion
I'm redoing my room and my color scheme is brown and...
Suggestions on accent pieces and colors to compliment this decor
Hello Michael. This is a stunning room. I am looking...
Wall decor suggestions?
We moved into this house 3 months ago and I'm still...
Suggestion about decoration and lighting ideas!
I have moved to new house recently and I am still working...
Help with this drum shade please!!
I bought a drum shade to cover up the chandelier in...
Need help decorating my kitchen.
I just finished hand painting my cabinets and plan...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...