Kitchen Countertop height
doanhome
What are the negatives of building a slightly higher kitchen counter: Like 39" high vs. the standard 36" high
Benhardt Construction & Remodeling
Future Marketability would be my first thought. Is this for you personally or a client? How does the person plan on residing at the location?
May 24, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Lewis / Schoeplein architects
It is great if you are tall, as it makes it easier to work in the kitchen. The main problem you will face is that appliances are designed to fit 36" high counters. Dishwashers have feet that are somewhat adjustable, but you might have a gap at the top under the counter. The range is a bigger issue. You may need to prop it up on feet so that it is the same height as the counter (we have done this before, very very carefully!). Alternately, it may be easier to install a cooktop and wall ovens so you avoid this altogether.

Real estate people will tell you to consider resale, but we always say it is best to design for yourself. If you love it, someone else will too. :)
May 24, 2013 at 12:08pm   
onthefence
I've known of two homes that did non-standard height counters. One was lower, one was taller. When the houses sold, the group of people interested in each was narrowed - but the final purchasers were both very happy to have kitchens that were comfortable for them to work in!

I've also heard of situations where only a part of the kitchen counter was raised. That way, the tall person had a comfortable workspace but others who weren't as tall had workspaces comfortable for them as well.
May 24, 2013 at 12:09pm   
onthefence
@ Lewis/Schoeplein - I've seen photos of quite a few raised dishwashers. For people with back issues, I think this is a great idea. I'd do this in my own kitchen if we had a different layout!

You make a good point about the range though. As you've said - a cooktop and wall oven would be the best option.

Kitchen remodel, Washington DC
Showplace Cabinets - Kitchen
May 24, 2013 at 12:14pm     
kustombuilt
You may run into issues with electrical and plumbing also. If your building new make sure plumbers and electricians know about this.
May 24, 2013 at 9:43pm   
Is Houzz a bit snobby about less expensive renovating options?
Not everyone can afford or wants to go with the most...
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...