Need help for my family room

alafiuraMay 24, 2013
Photo attached. I don't like the dark wood and brick fireplace in this room. Any suggestions on ways to make the room more bright and modern. Should I paint the bookshelves and fireplace white?
Demogrl
It looks very cohesive as is but if you can't stand it... Maybe paint the brick on fireplace a white wash paint
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:04PM
sheryl N
are those windows being blocked by the fireplace shelves? The fireplace is beautiful, but remove the wood frame around it. You could put a nice dark mantle on it or you could brick up to the ceiling after removing those shelves. Also, you have a lot of brown/cream. The room is not too dark, the floor is beautiful. I think if you choose a color scheme, you have those beautiful grey/turquoise vases, why not choose a few pillows or a colorful throw for your sofa in another color that would go with the vases and greenery, like white and a bit of orange or go for grey, turquiose and white. You just need to add some accessories. The color of the rug is a bit boring, I woulld get rid of that and put a colorful persian carpet in creams, blues and maroon or green. What is opposite the fireplace? Furniture could be added as well for a cosier feeling.;-)
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:16PM
joffler
It does look very cohesive and that wall is actually very attractive. But I can see it may be bothersome because there isn't much of a color palette there -- a lot of reddish browns and greens, which is very nice and reminiscent of Arts & Crafts -- which suits me fine. But it's not my house. What I find a little unexciting is all the off-white/ light cream color on the walls. I know you want to keep things bright and airy and I think you've achieved that. But I think you need a little more visual interest for that wall. Yes, more, if you can believe it.. Perhaps some color to the wall above the fireplace/shelves that contrasts with the cream color of the other walls but works with the color palette to heighten the wall visually so the windows are highlighted a little more. And I think I'd lose the greenery over the fireplace and not obstruct the windows with vases. I don't know if you'll agree but with the vases, the height of the greenery and the mantle clock, you've got an almost horizontal line that obstructs the wall. It looks to me like it wants to "breathe" a little more. Other than that, it's a delicous looking room to me. I think I'd enjoy being in it very much.
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:21PM
Rococo llc
paint the room :-) the paint does not have personality
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:52PM
Beth Bourque
Rococo llc is absolutely right. That cold white is just too austere for the warmth of the wood. Look to the sofa pillows for a warmer gold on the walls, but not too deep a shade.
    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:31PM
handymam
Paint the walls a color and paint the back of the shelves one shade lighter or darker, your choice. The "things" on the shelves are kind of generic, I don't like the vases blacking the great windows you have either. Maybe a new screen for the fireplace of leaded glass would update the fireplace. Plow and hearth has some nice things in their catalog.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:45PM
Need help in my family room.
Having just bought this home, I am going to completely...
newtonsusan
need help with my family room
The majority of my first floor is Greenbriar beige....I...
edmic
I need help for my family room
I would to appreciate who can give what is the suitable...
pity30002000
Need help for my family room
I need advise/idea/suggestions to update the family...
Priya Skandaruban
Need help for my family room
I have a family room with a fire place on one wall,...
Luan Martin
Need help with stainless sink
Has anyone ever heard of Hazelton sinks? It's the only...
ljsouthwick
Need Help with New Patio Decor & Furniture, Help!
Need Help with New Patio Decor & Furniture, Help!...
aliya777
Need layout input!
We have a split level home, the entry level consists...
Michelle Fraedrich
3/4" marble on metal sink legs?
I purchased the 2 leg Palmer sink legs with rear risers...
saralines
Sponsored Products
D-Shaped Shower Curtain Rod
Signature Hardware
Fan Flower Tablecloth 70" x 144"
$170.00 | Horchow
Slamp | Gemmy Prisma Floor Lamp
$760.00 | YLighting
Gray Textured Silk 20" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Bristol Satin Nickel Two-Light Ceiling Mount
$46.95 | Bellacor
Kissing Convex Sconce by Stonegate Designs
$268.13 | Lumens
Chrome Adjustable Accent Table
$54.99 | zulily
Safavieh Hand-woven Chic Blue Shag Rug (6' Square)
Overstock.com