Grout - Colored or not?
ginainsb
My husband and I are in agreement with white subway tile backsplash for our white kitchen design (off white cabinets and London grey quartz counters). To break up the white I suggested a light grey grout? Is this an outdated look? Is white grout more classic? Which would appeal to more in terms of resale? Thank you.
Scott Design, Inc.
I like the light grey grout. If the subway tile is machine made, then a thin grout joint is typical. An effective backsplash provides a smooth transition between countertop and cabinets A grey grout would emphasize the classic look of subway tile without overwhelming contrast and coordinate well with the grey counter. As long as your kitchen is done well, the color of your grout will not be a deal breaker.
May 24, 2013 at 7:33pm      Thanked by ginainsb
soberg
Light gray grout will look very nice. I can't imagine that any sale decision will turn on a simple stylistic choice like grout color. If someone takes unreasonable exception to the grout, they can always buy a jar of that grout pigment/paint and spend a happy hour covering it up.
May 25, 2013 at 6:09am      Thanked by ginainsb
We have off-white cabinets and off-white subway tile (with darker soapstone counters) and chose a grout that is just one shade darker than the tiles ("alabaster"). It is entirely a personal preference, but I don't like too much contrast with the grout highlighting of the shape of the subway tile. It ends up looking busier than I like. So the subtle effect of a just slightly darker grout seemed to do the trick. In your case, with gray counters, I would make the gray grout very, very pale--just a hint of silvery-gray.
May 25, 2013 at 6:28am      Thanked by ginainsb
tmcinnes
This is off-topic but I am about to do my kitchen Reno and have chosen white cabinets and backsplash and London grey quartz countertops. My husband thinks this will look too washed out and pale. Would you be willing to post some photos of your kitchen to help us visualize this combination? For what it's worth, I would go with a light grey car out (I know someone who did this in a white kitchen and it makes the tiles pop and gives texture to an overall plain palette. Good luck!
May 25, 2013 at 7:53am      Thanked by ginainsb
tmcinnes
Sorry, that should have read light grey grout! (Darn autocorrect!)
May 25, 2013 at 7:54am      Thanked by ginainsb
ginainsb
Unfortunately, we are just in planning & design phase. Our kitchen has oak cabinets and white tile counters still.
May 27, 2013 at 9:41pm   
ginainsb
There are some great pics on houzz which I have saved in my idea book. Hope this helps. Btw. We saw Frosty Carrina and fell in love. We are thinking this with white subway and white grout. (Our kitchen does not have much light and thinking the London Grey and grey grout will be too dull). Good luck.
June 4, 2013 at 2:15pm   
bidsix
my personal preference would be white grout
June 4, 2013 at 2:17pm      Thanked by ginainsb
0825sam
Here's an ideabook on this subject. You can make a statement or do something more subtle and still have a little contrast.

June 4, 2013 at 2:18pm      Thanked by ginainsb
bidsix
You are smart putting in the subway tiles
June 4, 2013 at 2:20pm      Thanked by ginainsb
bidsix
grey grout above makes it too busy.
June 4, 2013 at 2:21pm      Thanked by ginainsb
tmcinnes
Agree that the grey above is too dark, but a very light grey can be nicer than stark white.
June 4, 2013 at 2:50pm      Thanked by ginainsb