Need help for Exterior color
logopedakcorre
I have no idea what to do with the outside of my house, but the lack of "pop" and overall blandness is making me crazy! I think i just want to choose colors for the siding and the door and the trim... Help?
olldroo
I'm thinking a dark green. Once the lawn recovers from winter it will blend the house with the garden and the addition of some colourful annuals will take all the blandness away.
May 24, 2013 at 9:00PM   
sstarr
My eye is drawn to the blank space over your tall entry. Could you put a round window there? Like this:
May 24, 2013 at 9:02PM     
sstarr
Here I also removed your shutters...and added trim around the windows.
May 24, 2013 at 9:37PM   
sfuentes08
I think the garage door would be pretty the color of the shutters. Keep the trim around the garage door the same as other trim color.
May 24, 2013 at 9:54PM   
sfuentes08
Oh and a bright red front door! I like Behr Cherry Cobbler.
May 24, 2013 at 9:56PM   
You could use an exterior classic bronze outdoor element in a circular style instead of expense and trouble of a window to fill in the blank area.
May 24, 2013 at 9:58PM     
suzanne_m
If it is possible, I would add a window above the front entrance like starr93 suggested but I think I would prefer to be it square instead of round.
It is still missing some color but I don't know which color and where to put it.
May 24, 2013 at 10:08PM   
dsimber
I like the colors you have. If anything, paint the front door. I like idea of attaching something such as libradesigneye suggested, rather than installing a window. I can't see your light fixtures, house numbers or mailbox, but switching these out can make a huge difference if done tastefully. Beyond that, add interest with more landscaping. You can pay a designer for one hour and get all the help you need. You might add tall, substantial containers on either side of your garage and/or on either side of your front door. For continuity, choose three identical containers similar in design to the "outdoor element" you add above the door. Add lots of colorful blooming plants, grasses and vines (such as green and black sweet potato vines) that flow over the edges of your containers.Then water them regularly....every day when it is hot. Seriously consider adding a couple more ornamental trees...just not too close to the house. The most common mistake in placing a tree is forgetting to take into consideration its size when full-grown, but most ornamentals don't grow as large as other trees. Depending on your zone, you might consider redbuds or crape myrtles. Also, enlarge the area around your existing tree, making the bed an asymmetrical shape (for example, bean-shaped) and add a few shrubs, perennials and annuals in odd numbers. Keep a nice, crisp edge by spading around the edge of your beds every spring to keep the grass from growing into the bed. Add shredded hardwood mulch to help the plants retain moisture and give it a great finished look.
May 24, 2013 at 10:19PM     
Leo Dowell Interiors
The biggest problem with this house is the lack of architectural detail. You could add a stone carving above arch that would make it more authenic and fill inthe space above it. The garage doors should look like carriage doors , that is look like they would open from the center and swing open. This can be doon with a paint to duplicating boards, faux hinges and handles. A wrought iron flower box under the upper window on the left would complete the transformation. Also you need a large hanging lantern in the arch. Any more, and I'll have to charge you, this is how I make a living.
Good luck.
May 24, 2013 at 10:37PM     
nancy22032
I would paint the garage door, shutters and entry door a soft blue-green like Sherwin Williams Tranquil Aqua or Peacock Plume. It will make your home stand out from the color of the one next door and enliven the beige you are tired of. If you want to paint the siding you could use a lighter shade of the same color family. The aqua and teal colors are very trendy now.
May 24, 2013 at 10:49PM     
visionaire1
I would paint the house a rich caramel cream color and paint the garage door, front door and trim charcoal or black
May 24, 2013 at 11:07PM   
visionaire1
Or better idea, change your garage door to a wood tilt up door and do the inside of your dutch gable in wood slats as well like the house in the image below.
May 24, 2013 at 11:12PM   
logopedakcorre
Thanks so much for the help! Dsimmer all of your ideas are great and Leo Dowell Interiors, your idea for the carriage door effect with paint is awesome, of course :).

But where do I start on my own? And how can I hang something like the lantern in the arch?
May 26, 2013 at 4:21PM   
Help!! Need help w/ exterior paint & trim colors...strange brick color
We are replacing our press board siding with cement...
Need help picking exterior paint color - need to replace the yellow
We would like to update the exterior color of our house,...
I need help for exterior color help fast!
My new construction house is all Hardie Plank. The...
Need Help Selecting Exterior Colors for House. Please Help!
Need new color scheme. Something more contemporary...
Help! I need help with picking an exterior paint color
And about 50 other projects!! (Seriously). Inherited...
Wanting dark floors but not sure about this contrast
This is a corner of my kitchen cabinets with the flooring...
Kitchen question
My kitchen was updated about 10 years ago by previous...
my family room is too dark we receny
fly added light to the beams but oit is still dark....
What color to use for book shelves next to fireplace? White or wood co
I will paint my fireplace in white and put book shelving...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests won't notice?
I envy the people who's homes are perfect and guest-ready...