Flooring/back stairway dilemma
jibemeister
Need advice.. have light natural coloured maple hardwood on main floor and medium brown laminate flooring in basement. We are re-doing the landing by the back door (approx 5 X 8 ft) and the 3 stairs that go up to the main floor and the 8 stairs going down to the basement. Reluctant to do wood as its too many different shades of wood. Suggestions for flooring options that could connect the two? Tile could work but it rather hard on the feet. Thinking about new lino (although still have a bias against it from the old tacky lino from the 70 and 80's).. would like something that could look more contemporary and dont mind a bold color either. Ideas???
Brenda
can you share a photo of the space you are talking about?
May 28, 2013 at 2:55AM   
jibemeister
You bet. Here is a pic of the awful "before" look. The maple floors on the main floor will be refinished to a light natural finish and the floors in the basement are a rustic wide planked medium toned laminate.
May 28, 2013 at 11:02AM   
What do you think about practical rubber flooring for this area? Don't know your general design style, or if anything that smacks of industrial appeals, but it is great for stairs, comes in any color you like, is very indestructible and would look great next to both woods. There are blends with some rubber in them as well. They will stand up to trouble a bit more than vinyl.
May 28, 2013 at 11:15AM   
jibemeister
Hmm.. interesting idea I never considered.. do you have any pictures/websites you'd recommend for this? I have been considering marmoleum as well. I have 3 kids (ages 10-15) and a dog and cat, so this stairway/backdoor does see a lot of traffic. Also it does periodically get wet esp i the winter time or when the kids come in from the hot tub in the backyard. Thanks for your idea! :)
May 28, 2013 at 11:43AM   
Ed
Hi jibemeister, after you re-finish the main floor to a light natural maple, it'll look very nice! Please post After photos.
May 28, 2013 at 2:08PM   
NK Woodworking
I would pick either of the two tones above or below to carry over the stairs, but a contrast dark wood could look cool
May 28, 2013 at 2:14PM   
marmoleum is good choice too - but a bit more slippery when wet. most flooring stores have rubber options they don't get asked about that often. comes in bright colors but gray with the circles would be classic and cost effective. look at google pros and cons of marmoleum.
May 29, 2013 at 11:29AM   
Which art piece?
Looking for art for over my sofa. Room is grays and...
Help! Small ugly Living Room being converted from piano room.
Any suggestions appreciated! Total makeover wanted....
add crown molding to "knock down" walls and ceilings.??
All walls and ceilings have been painted with "knock...
Paint color for dark room
My family room, breakfast room and kitchen face N N/W....