Help deciding on color of deck.
mclifford2100
Hello All, we are in the process of adding a deck to our house. I would love your opinion on what color you think would be best. The posts will be white and the upper railing will match the deck color itself. These are the 3 colors we are considering, as well as the best picture I could find of the size of deck we are adding. Thanks!
Lyn Reeves
I would choose one of the two lighter colors. I think that the darker color will stand out as two dark lines running across the house at the deck level and the rail top level.
May 25, 2013 at 11:34am   
alisonheppell
The dark brown
May 25, 2013 at 11:34am     
adripatt
I think the dark color will lend a more modern aesthetic, and the medium golden brown a more natural/beachy feel with the stone and blue house color. I think the grey deck color will blend with the home. None are bad options, just depends on the look/feel you are going for. Personally, I think medium color will bring some nice warmth.
May 25, 2013 at 11:41am     
Genevieve
I like the dark brown reason been that when against the blue/grey siding it look great plus if you later on shop for a patio set it will look great .let me see if I can help you visualize it :) ...

May 25, 2013 at 11:41am   
Scott Design, Inc.
I like the light grey. It works well with your stone. It doesn't compete with the other materials. It will not get as hot to the touch as the other darker man made deck material.
May 25, 2013 at 11:46am     
weluvsadie
I think the light grey will unify the decking with the stone and make the whole picture easy on the eye.
May 25, 2013 at 11:49am     
Genevieve
Wood doesn't get hot concrete does.
May 25, 2013 at 11:51am   
Genevieve
Okay ,now picture chocolate brown and this .
May 25, 2013 at 11:58am   
bmarie2012
I like the dark I think it would make a great contrast to the colors that you currently have on the house
May 25, 2013 at 12:19pm   
rinqreation
If you want medium to dark wood or dark grey furniture on there (which most are), I'd pick the grey one. I agree with adripatt all three might look great depending on what look you want to achieve.
May 25, 2013 at 12:27pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
@Genevieve - I agree, wood does not get as hot as concrete. In looking at the three pieces of decking material, I see the grey one to be grey all the way through which leads me to believe all 3 pieces are man made composite materials.

Over the years my suppliers tell me that the top consumer complaint about composite decking is that it tends to get very hot in direct sunlight. Some surfaces that are exposed to direct sunlight all day may be too hot to walk on with bare feet. This will depend partly on the color of the material. Lighter colored decking will tend to reflect more of the heat, where darker colors will absorb the heat and tend to get hotter faster reaching higher temperatures.
May 25, 2013 at 1:09pm     
mclifford2100
This is a man made material. We are going with Trex decking and these are all samples from one of their lines. Thanks
May 25, 2013 at 1:32pm   
indianpatti
I vote for the dark color .... IMO, the "orange" brown would not look good.
May 25, 2013 at 1:40pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I vote for the darkest wood decking, it has a wonderful contrast that will make everything look richer.
May 25, 2013 at 2:03pm   
Suzanne DeTurris
Have you chosen the house trim and door colors yet?
I would wait to see those or any other stand out fixtures like gazebos or pergolas....try to match them all up.It looks like white so I would go with the lightest (not the orange, the grey) but you don't want to many wood stain colors...and the dark colors will heat up....wood or not.
May 25, 2013 at 2:08pm   
carolins
This doesn't help you, but I like the warmth of the medium colour.
May 25, 2013 at 11:42pm     
marxella
I would like with darkest because makes a cotrast, but if you want more soft I like the gray one it looks good.
May 25, 2013 at 11:50pm   
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Hands down, the light grey.
May 26, 2013 at 1:06am     
DOXA Home
The light grey works best, IMO.
May 26, 2013 at 2:01am     
sharon3986
I like the dark contrast and I think Genevieve's example shows it beautifully. Good luck choosing!
May 26, 2013 at 2:29am   
Ed
Hi Mclifford, either of the three would look nice. Roll a dice. :)
May 27, 2013 at 3:15am   
Brown Bros. Masonry
I'd pick the darker tone. You wouldn't want your stone to get "lost" in the deck. Contrast would help stone stand out more.
May 27, 2013 at 8:17am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Contrast is always your friend when you can't make up your mind. They all have advantages & disadvantages but go with what you loved from the start. They all will work.
May 27, 2013 at 8:25am   
mefor
Either very dark or very light, the middle one is too orange.I think that whatever furniture, cushions, accessories and plants and flowers you use should stand out beautifully on either of the two.
May 27, 2013 at 8:54am   
mefor
If you were worried about a dark line as you look at house from ground level, you could always outline with a white trim board on edge of deck to match trim on house
May 27, 2013 at 8:55am   
judet6
We have light blue house and
Chose harborstone Timbertech
and RDI railings. I think it goes
well
May 27, 2013 at 12:11pm     
Need help to decide on pool decking
Should we go with landscape architect's plan to surround...
Need help deciding what material to use to build a deck.
We are going to build a house in April and cannot decide...
Need help deciding design of deck.
Should it be entire length of house? House is on a...
Trying to decide on decking color
We are doing a new home construction and the porch...
having trouble deciding what color to stain my decks
I wrote once before but didn't have a pic to upload...
Large lounge room layout.
My lounge has a fire on one wall and the TV on the...
need help with choosing a colour to paint wardrobe in master bedroom
I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirored dressing...
Any downside to succulents on a verandah?
What has been your experience in planting succulents?...
Decorating Advise for Dinning Room.
I'd like to start a clean slate with my dining room....