Different hardwood types on different floors of house

Shannon CostellaMay 25, 2013
Our house has oak flooring all through the main floor, with carpet up the stairs and on the second floor. We are going to put hardwood on the stairs and all throughout th second floor, but when we look at wood samples we are continually drawn to maple. I'm thinking about doing maple on the stair treads (with the risers painted our trim colour... some kind of white) and upstairs, leaving the main floor and the banister in oak.

I've been looking at a lot of examples of stairways with banisters and see that it is quite common to have the banister and the stairs in different colours, or different wood. Usually the banister is the darker colour.

I'm just wondering if that sounds like an acceptable mix, or will it look sloppy?

TIA.

Shannon
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brenda
Do you have a photo of the staircase the way it is now that you can share?

Are you going with a natural stain on your maple floors, or a dark stain? My initial reaction (without seeing anything) is that it won't look right/cohesive.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
Well, our house from the 1920s has white oak floors throughout, but for some reason the staircase is maple with white painted risers. And the bannister, like all the doors in the house, is dark mahogany. The spindles, like all the trim in the house, is white. It all looks fine together. Older houses often used different hardwoods for different rooms and purposes. (Our last house, from 1918, had wide plank pine upstairs and both white oak and ash downstairs). While I usually like consistency of flooring in modern houses, there is plenty of precedent for mixing woods.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:44PM