Different hardwood types on different floors of house

Shannon CostellaMay 25, 2013
Our house has oak flooring all through the main floor, with carpet up the stairs and on the second floor. We are going to put hardwood on the stairs and all throughout th second floor, but when we look at wood samples we are continually drawn to maple. I'm thinking about doing maple on the stair treads (with the risers painted our trim colour... some kind of white) and upstairs, leaving the main floor and the banister in oak.

I've been looking at a lot of examples of stairways with banisters and see that it is quite common to have the banister and the stairs in different colours, or different wood. Usually the banister is the darker colour.

I'm just wondering if that sounds like an acceptable mix, or will it look sloppy?

TIA.

Shannon
Brenda
Do you have a photo of the staircase the way it is now that you can share?

Are you going with a natural stain on your maple floors, or a dark stain? My initial reaction (without seeing anything) is that it won't look right/cohesive.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:31PM
Well, our house from the 1920s has white oak floors throughout, but for some reason the staircase is maple with white painted risers. And the bannister, like all the doors in the house, is dark mahogany. The spindles, like all the trim in the house, is white. It all looks fine together. Older houses often used different hardwoods for different rooms and purposes. (Our last house, from 1918, had wide plank pine upstairs and both white oak and ash downstairs). While I usually like consistency of flooring in modern houses, there is plenty of precedent for mixing woods.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 4:44PM
Thoughts on using two different hard wood floors in different parts of the house
We found a beautiful walnut hand scraped floor that...
abbe3
Different type of hardwood in livingroom flanked on both sides by oak?
Our foyer/kitchen/dining/stairs have thin plank oak...
pisachi
different color wood floors for different rooms
I'm redoing my kitchen, and I would love to do the...
jglassberg
How many different types of tile in different rooms is too much
I love all types of tile and if I could I would have...
debbiedio
Different carpets in different rooms?
I need to select carpeting for my upstairs that includes...
keciamarsh
Help me finish the wall
The plant stand and urn flanking our new electric fireplace...
janbonan
Living room help
I truly need help to fill this living room with rug...
Leena Shah
Kitchen blue? Is it too much?
This blue I chose when the kitchen was enclosed by...
Josie Bohling
CONFUSED WITH COLORS
I have 3 rooms that flow into each other. The sun room...
pensbaby123