Painting Old Wooden Floor 'red'
J Barrow
Here are some photos of the additional 'duct' issue...
Rockin' Fine Finish
what's your dilemma
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:02PM
mefor
Hello J Barrow, is this where you were directing me? What did you want to do with this vent ? Was there mention of this in the floor painting post that I've missed?
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:19PM
LB Interiors
On the left of vent column, continue and do a build of open white shelves and two door cabinet below. The vent will tend to disappear. Is this the dilemma along with the red floor? Do you want to repaint the floor?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:25PM
mefor
I think that reclaimed wood in small strips would look pretty good there, or old, painted, worn, vintage beadboard
( even from different batches if in the same profile) but sealed with a flat poly to lock in lead paint. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you. Are you still unsure about the red floor?
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:26PM
J Barrow
Hello! Yes... I just saw this place where it said you 'follow' me but I don't know what to do with that part of the site. So I think the contractor did a nice enough job covering the vent and its been painted nicely all all but it still looks cheap. I would have liked to have had a nice built in bookshelf with built in drawers/cabinets, a can light... but these are finer choices than our budget allows. It IS a large improvement. First, what do you think of strong wood floor color... we are beginning to like it and I read somewhere on Houzz that seagrass floor covering is inexpensive so if red becomes too much, a nice natural floor covering will soften. In any case I like the red... can you see the other photo of just floor (and computer that I posted earlier??). The vent.. well.. We put an old Amoir in the space at first, but it didn't look right. So now maybe shelves.. but still... would love to go a bit more interesting... divide the space in various dimensions? cover the bead board with eclectic items?? Argh. thanks for replying in any way..
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:26PM
mefor
Hi LB Interiors, I think they want to reclad the white beadboard box around ductwork
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:27PM
mefor
I do like the floor, though I might have liked it a little better if it was a bit darker, but that's just me. For all I know, it may have been one of my "billions" of paint color suggestions, lol :)
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:29PM
J Barrow
LB Interiors, thanks so much for posting.. I'm still kinda new at this. Yes... a dozen posts back from this one you'll see a picture of red floor painted. I like it more and more! what do you think? Too much??? my husband I think would prefer a grey floor but would like to support me so I am really open to others input. OUr furnishings are eclectic, hand-me-downs, reclaimed old alley finds, etc. I like the spareness in photo and the graphic nature of red/clean white line and brick... but our furniture collection tends towards oak and reddish stained middle hues (vs. modern and deep dark) so perhaps we are heading for clashes???)
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:30PM
J Barrow
mforr it WAS one of your 'billions' of color choices. btw- that was interesting I went directly to Sherwin Williams after your post with your 'list' and they had only three or four of examples with names that you provided... but the names did not match the numbers given and only half of the numbers existed... INteresting as I would think that all numbers would be available.. In any case, they were very busy and so I chose what I thought was the deeper red. I have had 5 shades painted on the floor.. each time fooled to thinking that it was darker than what I thought (I know a lot about color and simultaneous contrast so was befuddled). I too would like a deeper red but have had a tough time finding... without going black/eggplant or what my husband refers to as 'just too brown' : )
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:34PM
studio10001
I like mforr's idea, and you may be able to find materials at a local salvage for little or nothing. The floor will eventually tone down a bit - faster if you haven't yet put poly on it-a dramatic choice, though! Well done!
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:34PM
J Barrow
Studio10001 - thanks SO much for mentioning that it will tone down, really? I find that fascinating to know. The painter is coming back on Monday, it could have a glaze put on to deepen it?? What do you think about my furniture descriptions and whether these hues would begin to clash?
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:38PM
mefor
Here's a few, the first two are what I had originally meant, but may be too patchwork for you. The next two are just vintage stained beadboard, whichever would be better for you. Either way, you can install them vertically or horizontally
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:45PM
mefor
I thought about a lamp black glaze
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:45PM
mefor
For floor, not beadboard
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:46PM
J Barrow
mforr. Suddenly (and gratefully) my posts are right next to each other... if you did that, thanks! I happen to have an acrylic Black glaze in my studio (I'm a painter/artist). Its a decent brand name and probably a quart.. do you think this would work on latex? Also the wood is fairly rough so this would heighten...but the painter I have coming in is superb (she's also an artist, running a painting - faux business)... Thanks so much for all of this.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:49PM
J Barrow
Like the idea of antiquing bead board... maybe not many pieces but layering paint on top of the white, and layering other colors and then sanding or stripping.... nice long term ease into it project...???
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:51PM
mefor
Not too sure about the acrylic. You might have her try it on an inconspicuous spot that will be hidden by furniture. I'm surprised that you had trouble finding paints, I have an up to date color deck, how strange. How do you feel about the beadboard suggestions? Too funky? I kind of think it will blend beautifully with brick and floor.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:54PM
mefor
Whoops, crossed posts, I see your beadboard project now, great idea!!' Did your carpenter use real beadboard or that panelling stuff? If its real, you could do it right on that.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:55PM
J Barrow
Its real wood though one piece and not the older (deeper grooved) bead 'boards' - it is not the prefab stuff thank goodness and so I think this will work. Thank you very much. I'm heading off to dinner. Not sure how to post you again other than general post - but I will update with before after in weeks to come. thx again.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:58PM
mefor
The posts are together because I posted to both of them in a row. They will only stay that way if somebody posts at relatively the same time. If you wanted to talk to me about a post, just add it to one of these posts ( that I have participated in) and I will get email from houzz telling me that someone has posted something in one of the dilemmas I commented on. Whew, run on sentence!!!
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:59PM
studio10001
You'll have to steer me; I'm not finding a furniture description? As to the glaze,I think it could look well. Has your painter presented sample boards for you? I'd aim towards brown, and then a little black washed over that to see which I like best (if practical -I have no idea what kind of time frame you have). Left alone, the paint will loose it's sheen, which takes a bit of the intensity with it, leaving a slightly faded effect, and the spaces between the boards will lose the paint altogether, which will give it a slightly aged effect, as well....so I don't think there is a way to go wrong, no matter what you choose to do.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:00PM
mefor
Good night!! I'll look for your updates, good luck
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:00PM
LB Interiors
What about a golden glaze on the floor? Works with oak.

Or a large area rug as a sisal. handpaint some white or red and white border stripes on it. Or create a random design of your own. Just tape off and use fabric paint.
You might like the dry brush method. Here's how
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:05PM
LB Interiors
If I understand your brick wall, I would have two identical bookcase cabinet units built in. On the right cabinet repeat a look-alike vent on the left of that bookcase. It would be the reverse of the left cabinet and uniform.
    Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
Need help decorating around old, wooden armoires!
Hi there, I'm decorating a new apartment that has...
kamacky
Is it wrong to have different wooden flooring upstairs from downstairs?
The first floor is the usual mid colored oak, with...
carolmckee
What shade to use with white wooden floors other than white!
I have a black and white decor in my living room, with...
suchy
Help for my laundry room and to display old wooden hangers
I just got a new washer/dryer and new flooring in my...
coffeeladyccc
Old wooden floors to be painted. What color?
1875 rowhouse with upstairs wooden floor that was previously...
J Barrow
Cellular shades
My wife and I are thinking about doing cellular shades...
bandit5001
What should I add?
What color should the sofas be? Red? Cream/ivory? The...
lguzmanmd
Do we have to have a tub in our bathroom?
My husband and I want to renovate our master bathroom....
skoneil7
wire floor heating system. do you have ? do you like ?
I installed a wire heating system under this powder...
DS Tile And Marble
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie