Dining room decor!
taptoesena
Painted my dining room red today and love it! I have a dark wood table and no chairs yet... Decor tips? My boyfriend doesn't want mirrors, which was my first idea.
taptoesena
Also HATE the chandelier
May 25, 2013 at 7:01PM   
Nancy McFalls
I did something that covered a large expanse of my kitchen wall, and brought in some texture. You could choose virtually any color combo (there are a million beautiful, funky, tasteful, whatever-you-like fabrics out there).

What I did was grab some cloth napkins from World Market with different patterns/scales, within a similar color scheme. Then I got some frames from ikea and - voila - this covers a 6' stretch of wall.

At any time I can pull these down and swap out the fabric. Or if you don't care for the results, you can abandon ship and use the supplies elsewhere in your house.
May 25, 2013 at 7:18PM     
taptoesena
Love that idea nancy!
May 25, 2013 at 7:20PM     
Get a knock out chandy to hang just 36" or less above your dining table.
May 25, 2013 at 7:22PM     
taptoesena
Still need to
Do second coat but its dark outside now...definitely need a chandelier that will exude tons of light. Any ideas?
May 25, 2013 at 7:41PM   
Genevieve
Same as my dining room it took 5 coats for mine :) I really like this colour with the red , also gold framed art will make your dining room look luxurious
[

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Painting-of-Mr-and-Mrs-Lewis-Priestman-With-the-Braes-of-Derwent-Hunt-by-John-Charlton-Posters_i8666733_.htm

I will find it for you
May 26, 2013 at 4:00PM     
0825sam
What is your style? (For chandelier ideas)
May 26, 2013 at 4:06PM   
Genevieve
its a Williamsburg in brass like this one but way way less priced :))

I have the one with 12 lights
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Williamsburg-6-Light-Polished-Brass-Chandelier-C872BB06/202184532#.UaKa20BJ5yE
May 26, 2013 at 4:12PM     
0825sam
This could be completely off from your style but I like the white chairs with the dark table against the red walls - and the white light fixture as well. There are a lot of options out there for white modern chairs to pair with a wood table.

May 26, 2013 at 4:16PM     
lynnnic62
I know it is night, but your dining room looks to be dark anyway. Why not keep the colours deep and rich. A chandelier or stained glass hanging light over the table with small spot lights on rich art on the walls. This could be Thai silk covered canvases to large oil paintings. Your look may be antique or modern depending on taste, just keep the same theme so that it flows from room to room.
May 26, 2013 at 4:35PM     
lynnnic62
I think sage green with your dark timber and antique look furniture go well. Would recommend you don't have too much furniture in this space as it could look too heavy and cluttered. But hey that's just my opinion
May 26, 2013 at 5:32PM     
taptoesena
Sam I'm actually wanting white chairs. Ideas? Thought about white chairs and one side a bench but fear it will look too crowded. Will add white crown molding too
May 26, 2013 at 9:33PM   
Genevieve
With mine I had a traditional English decor in mind because of my furniture . You don't really specify what sort of style you like on here ,could you please tell us ,what it is that you are trying to accomplish ,I read about the white chairs but that doesn't give me much to go on it.
here is one with white chairs
Maximized legroom with the base choice
8' Contemporary Farmhouse Table
Urban Seating Tufted White Leatherette Parsons Chairs - Set of 2
May 27, 2013 at 3:57AM   
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Do you have a buffet ? Or will you find one for this room to coordinate with your table? A long interesting buffet would the place for a wide important mirror with beveled edges and a wide, mirror for this room...the red is so strong that you need to keep the visual weight of the furnishings and accessories strong too. ...don't wimp out on everything else...the red is dramatic so use it. .......buffet lamps or sconces will add lighting too. I see wide blinds, wood or semi sheer fabric at the window with full drapery panels , no heavy valance ( that would be the thing that would start making the room look too 1970), at the window with a wide drapery rod and rings see Restoration Hardware, installed high on the wall to accentuate the room height....good rich looking fabric in a pattern with a bit of the red....like a berry....but other colors too,,,,golds, browns, some green, navy...organic in nature, not a stripe,,,.and a creamy white base so the room isn't completely dark.....also chair fabric too coordinate.....interesting chairs.... Looks like you have enough space for both a buffet with mirror over it,,,as well as a china cabinet....and I don't think the pieces have to be a set....they could look like you acquired them over time in the similar finish.....Host and Hostess chairs, upholstered with arms......coordinating dining chairs, no arms. Bring everything up,,,keep the visual height going.
May 27, 2013 at 4:50AM     
Genevieve
May 27, 2013 at 5:47AM   
0825sam
I am also wondering if a crown molding is appropriate with the slanted ceiling. I don't think it looks unfinished without.
The style of white chair depends on your style. I like modern furniture in an old home so I don't think you're limited by your architecture, but there are a lot of options for white chairs out there.
May 27, 2013 at 5:51AM     
Genevieve
Sam0705 I think that a crown molding wouldi be the way to go when there is a slanted ceiling ,therefore if it was my choice I would omit it and replace the baseboards instead . I read an article a while back ,somewhere, that we are suppose to decorate our homes according to the year that it was built ,it made sense to me .
May 27, 2013 at 8:43AM     
taptoesena
I'm not sure what my style is. We live in New Mexico so I made this room red to bring out the beauty in our sunsets. I want it to feel cozy but fun and a place you can't wait to spend all night in with friends. Here are other pics of our house. Still kinda new to the house
May 27, 2013 at 2:45PM   
taptoesena
Looking in DR
May 27, 2013 at 2:45PM   
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
Based on the design of the rest of the house and the exterior I would not install crown molding, that is a traditional colonial detail typically. In fact, my comments above could pretty much hold true for the house except I may use a hammered bronze metal wide frame for a big mirror, and similar metal or wood drapery hardware.....and if you could use an eclectic mix of antique carved pieces in the dining room along contemporary seating.......for fabric, long panels hung straight feels better, in an organic fabric with a bold pattern possibly, at least consider that. I see the look is less castle and more adobe. I would also consider a more hand wrought chandelier, maybe with a more earthy rock crystal or something less cut glass in nature.... crystal is for the most part,,,too traditional for this house.
May 27, 2013 at 4:08PM     
0825sam
I think something like this chair from pier one would go with the other furniture choices you've made as well as the dark table and red walls. It's a modern take on a classic chair so best of both worlds :) http://www.pier1.com/Bal-Harbor-Dining-Chair---Ivory/2595808,default,pd.html
May 27, 2013 at 4:15PM     
taptoesena
Sam love those!!!
May 27, 2013 at 5:00PM   
ncreature
Yes to echo Schreoder Designs this red is a very difficult color to work with especially in these proportions even for the pros. You're going to have a number of issues. Any neutral will run the risk of pulling toward green in this environment (simultaneous contrast). That being said, any green is really going to pop, but I don't know if I'd go toward sage but maybe more toward the lime variety. You need something strong to contrast that red. It's going to be a loud room, but that's sort of the bed you made. I'd probably keep the room graphic and have all of my furnishings be in some sort of really light neutral, maybe even white. Anything you can do to contrast that red will make the room really snappy. Mirrors would actually help a lot because they open up the space, and maybe look to chrome frames instead of black. Also think about adding some patterns too especially in drapes. This is one of the few places you could get away something bold like a zig-zag or Greek key.

Large pictures, especially black and whites, or sepia with a really thick light border around the image will be nice. Again its about contrast. In a dining room, the table is the focal point not the walls, so it will take some work to find harmony and balance. If you search red+dining room on Houzz what you'll find is a lot of contrast. Red with white chairs, for example. Two color schemes (red+white, or red+warm grey or red+beige, etc). That being said, if your walls are loud and you try to balance that with bolder colors like lime or pattern, then something needs to balance all that energy with quiet and calm. I'd keep the chairs and table really simple, maybe a parsons table with simple chairs (Saarinen or Arne Jacobsen would amazing in that room if you're into modern).
May 27, 2013 at 5:12PM   
taptoesena
Finished just need chairs and decor
July 18, 2013 at 4:02PM   
cluedin
My chairs are linen with nail head trim. A very transitional look. I love them. Chandelier is grey organza - very see through. Modern looking like your rooms.
July 18, 2013 at 5:15PM     
Infinity Wall Art
How about lovely white wall decal along that wall? It would definitely liven up the room! http://www.infinitywallart.com/tree-wall-stickers-1/stylish-vines-birds-wall-stickers-pd347.html
July 19, 2013 at 4:43AM   
Help decorate sitting room between living room and dining room.
I have this space I don't know what to do with. It...
Need more idea to decored the living room and dining room
I don know what and how to make these room looks beautiful...
help decorating living room dining room
Hello, We are moving from a condo to accommodate our...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Help with living room
Large open wall in living room, would like to use it....
Master bedroom flooring
Is tile that looks like wood planks ok for a master...
Create modern exterior
Hi there, we are planning a major remodel of our 1930's...