Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thelodge1897

Need ideas for front of lodge style house to create a warm and welcome entryway

We have just purchased a great house and we have some ideas to update the exterior entryway to make it more warm and inviting. We are thinking of taking down the lower railing, updating the upper railing, adding a walkway from the front entrance to the side driveway, adding landscaping, and walkway lighting. I also think adding a lighter colored stackstone material from the ground to just under window height would brighten the look and add textural interest. Very interested to hear others ideas and responses to what we are thinking. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Bravehart Interiors
    10 years ago
    It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture- but the railing looks more manufactured than 'rustic'. With a house style like this, I would keep the railings (otherwise will be unbalanced with only top railing). I would change out the railings into something like big twigs, or rough-sawn boards, or something that looks more like an old lodge.
    You would have to experiment as the railings could look too busy or too 'hunky' if done incorrectly.
    Perhaps use the Adirondack style lodges as an inspiration. Often they had hand made 'twig' furniture on the porch and inside the house as well.
    That is where I would start with this transformation!
  • PRO
    Great Divide Builders
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home! I think a stacked stone around the lower perimeter of the house would look great, and I would suggest to remove the lattice under the deck and add more stacked stone under that as well. Consider possibly switching up the wood deck and patio balusters with something metal and re-staining the wood on the deck and patio posts and beams to make it stand out a little more. For landscaping I would focus on getting flowering shrubs and bushes that would add color.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Beautiful house in a beautiful spot. Congratulations!

I really like the idea of removing the lower balustrade, but safety may be an issue?
  • Joseph Mastroserio Jr.
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. To describe our goals more clearly, we are looking for the house to be more "modern rustic" (Less "lodgey"). The house is in a suburban southern city with other custom built (traditional) homes on 2 acre+ lots. For the railing, our initial thoughts were modern cabling, or cast iron with simple lines. Also, would lightening the trim color around windows and doors add or detract? Any ideas for a walkway (paver styles, examples, etc)?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would keep the landscape very natural to compliment the style and setting of your home. Get rid of the grass and plant lilyturf and other shade-loving groundcovers. Azaleas, dogwood and redbud would thrive in a woodland garden. I think you're right about removing the lower section of railing. Here's an idea from Houzz :
    Crosby Residence · More Info
    A flagstone or bluestone paver path with low growing ground covers planted in between would look good.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    What is the siding? There is a process called cob blasting that can take old dull finish off of log homes. Can't really if yours is log, just faux log, or other.
  • cutehouses
    10 years ago
    If you're interested in removing the railing I think something like this would be beautiful:
    Apple Farm · More Info
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    TL 1897-Neat home. Here are a couple ideas, taking out the rail and adding a stone base, suggested by GDB. I just added it around the deck, but more is fine, too. I didn't go all out changing the facade, in order to update the look beyond what materials that have been readily used on rustic structures like this for some time. I believe river rock may look appropriate for this, as often, that would have been one of the most readily available material for cladding. I like stack stone, too, but given the hue of the building, it may not look like a good marriage if , per deco, the finish can't easily be rejuvenated. It is a starting point to look from which to spring forward. Good luck.
  • valeriegroom
    10 years ago
    This is a contemporary looking railing available through http://www.porch-store.com/
  • cohoek
    9 years ago
    You could take out the whole bottom railing and make the steps as wide as the whole porch., maybe go around the corners too? This would look very inviting. I think the railing is much to busy, your eyes should be drawn to the house and the beams instead of to the railing.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Old post.