Exterior paint for 1920 Brown Brick in Urban Park/Lake Setting
almaautumn
This 1920 Colonial Revival will soon be our home, and it's crunch time to decide the exterior colors. The historic, landmarked house sits high on a ridge in a downtown park, overlooking a large, midwestern lake. The front door faces south. Tons of light most of the day. We are committed preservationists, but would like to give this home a fresh update, but not *too* fresh.

We are restoring the original windows and doors, paneled shutters, and building wood storms and screens, plus window boxes. The fence will remain, and we are adding a small deck and small addition facing the lake on back.

1)Trim (windows, wood storm and screens, facia, fence, downspout): white seems too stark, but it's definitely easier. We've thought of gold, grey, greens, cream, navy, and black. Should wood storms/screens be same color as everything, or should we acknowledge their presence with contrasting color?

2) Shutters--BM Hale Navy? Would that look dumb on brown brick? Or are we forced to go green with brown brick?

3)Door. Should it be the same as shutters, or too boring? Should it be its own color, a deep red (then we'd have a red, white, blue, house--no thanks), match possible Hale Navy Shutters, or Pittsburg Paints Dark Green Velvet. Is it too clownish to paint it all differently?

What about BM-Hale Navy Shutters, and PP-Dark Green Velvet, with white trim/fence etc. It encompasses the nautical and park setting, plus the white traditional aspect. Thanks in advance for your help!
Rockin' Fine Finish
A black gloss front door
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 7:33AM
Katie Miodonski
Your house is beautiful! And on a lake to boot!
I'm thinking nautical military colors: navy shutters with dark gold brass button color door, crisp white trim!
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 8:01AM
bluenan
With the south facing orientation and a lot of sun, the white trim, or off-white/cream if you prefer, will be easy to maintain with no obvious fading, and stands out nicely against the dark brick. Storms should match the window to downplay their presence. I'd pick a dark color from the brick, dark charcoal gloss for the shutters and a deep red door.
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 8:07AM
Urban setting, exterior walls
Please suggest siding or treatment for two very visible...
Exterior Paint Color Ideas...1920's Craftsman
In the middle of a remodel and still need to select...
Paint Color for a 1920's Cottage Exterior
We need to paint a small two-story rental cottage that...
Exterior painting of a Tudor home in floral park ny
We are looking for someone who specializes in exterior...
need help with my lounge and dining to take shape
i need paint,accesories and furniture advice to dress...
Which sink would you rather have in your kitchen?
My husband and I have different opinion about the kitchen...
Flooring ideas for a garage office
Hi, I am looking for some inexpensive flooring options...
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...
Elevation
Need help for front elevation