Need help with transom windows light control
nodeerhere
I recently had blinds installed on the bedroom windows but so far I can't decide what to do about light control on the upper windows. Should it be blinds with long strings? Is it right to put in a different type of window covering on the upper windows?
Brenda
if you didn't need the light control, I would say leave them as is.

Since you do need the light control, use the same blinds as are on the lower windows. Alternatively, you could just add room darkening drapery panels to the ceiling that you would pull closed.
May 28, 2013 at 2:05am   
nodeerhere
I'd like to use the same blinds but I'd need very long cords. Do you think that would look ok?
May 28, 2013 at 7:19am   
Significant Buildings and Construction
I think the same blinds would look best. I don't think a long cord will be bad.
May 28, 2013 at 7:44am   
nodeerhere
Thank you for commenting. I'm beginning to think the long cords are the best idea. Once that's done, what does everyone think about curtain height? Can I use panels just on the lower windows or do I need to start at the top of the transom?
May 28, 2013 at 9:34am   
I'd run your curtains from above the transoms, and since you are using curtains I'd skip putting blinds on the transoms. Just close the curtains when you need light control at the transom level.
May 28, 2013 at 9:37am     
nodeerhere
So you are suggesting a traverse rod, right? Is there anyplace that has curtains of this length (about 11 feet) or is custom the only route?
May 28, 2013 at 9:39am   
felixgrantham
Do a faux fabric shade over the top section w/ coordinating panel drapes on the sides. There's a good example in the Houzz Liberace article, but I couldn't figure out how to copy the picture.
May 28, 2013 at 9:51am   
bluenan
Agree with feeny, skip the transom blinds, it would look odd and you'd have all of those cords hanging down. Drapery hung above the transoms and closed when needed is the way to go. It would also help to finish off your windows because they have no moulding. I can see your style isn't minimalist and modern, so the drapes will add softness and detail to the room, yet when open, the transom will allow lots of light and the unobstructed view of palm trees into the room.
May 28, 2013 at 10:03am   
nodeerhere
@felixgrantham That is a great photo...but aren't those shades stationary, meaning the shades would always be down?
May 28, 2013 at 10:08am   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
I would consider a remote control honeycomb shade in a coordinating color. They are very discreet when up and extremely functional when down. Matching is important but these are probably just used when you need them then you return to an open window... correct? You could also consider doing them as cordless and using a wand to put them up and down. This picture shows them as coming down from the top but I don't think that is a necessary feature but the picture was somewhat relevant - Chrissy
May 28, 2013 at 10:10am   
nodeerhere
Chrissy, yes, this would be closed at night and opened in the morning. Since it would only be down in the overnight hours, I should not consider matching. Downside is the cost though.
May 28, 2013 at 10:15am   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
That is what I am thinking. I agree the faux woods that match would be less but I would ask you how long you plan on living there...? The difference in cost might be worth it. Sleep is good!!! The applause shades in cordless would be less than power... or you could just do a standard cord pull. With this type of shade at least you would not have 3 sets of cords/pulls like you do with the blinds. Also when you pull up the blinds they have a large stack and you will lose 30% of the height of the window. I hope I haven't confused you. - Chrissy
May 28, 2013 at 10:22am   
nodeerhere
Chrissy, I was unaware of cordless shades that use a wand or cord. I see that with these there would only be one cord or wand. Not sure what applause shades look like.
May 28, 2013 at 11:51am   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
An applause shade is a brand by Hunter Douglas. It is an affordable honeycomb option. They make them cordless then we usually create a simple rod or dowel rod with a simple hook in it for them to grab the handle with. The handle on them has a hole in it that they hook and pull down.
May 28, 2013 at 12:01pm   
nodeerhere
I will look into that.
May 28, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
Good Luck. Look for a Hunter Douglas Dealer in your area. They are usually the most helpful dealers in the industry. Here's to sleeping better! - Chrissy
May 28, 2013 at 12:13pm   
They have small blinds for those upper windows no cords. Or you could run rod across top of small windows. Add panels in a dark fabric. Put wood rings on top of panels to fit onto rod. Have wide enough to close and still look full. I think 2 on each end should work. Choose clor close to wall color. Open during day. Would give windows a finish look.
May 28, 2013 at 12:13pm   
Ck bed and bath for ong length. You don't really need traverse rod see my other post. As no blind on upper windows if using panels.
May 28, 2013 at 12:16pm   
nodeerhere
Chrissy, I spoke to a HD dealer recommended to me by neighbors. They are pushing the motorized honeycomb shade, saying they don't like the idea of putting a dowel on the bottom of the shade. If I want this, I have to find someone else.
May 28, 2013 at 1:33pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
Not really. You can just go to the hardware store and create one for about $3.... It's a master bedroom and It's not like you are going to yank on them. :) The battery powered feature only adds typically $115.00 to each shade. I know that's a bit of money but I thought you should have all the information. They are battery powered. I would look for a Gallery dealer... They might be more helpful? What region or zip are you in? I have friends in the business everywhere. - Chrissy
May 28, 2013 at 1:36pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
You would only be attaching the dowel with hook when you are pulling them down fyi... it's unconventional but saves $250 or so...
May 28, 2013 at 1:37pm   
nodeerhere
I was quoted $990 for the motorized shades. So the shades alone are about $760? If that's true, I didn't realize this, so thank you for the info. I guess I don't understand the dowel and hook. Doesn't this have to be on the shade to pull down or push up?
May 28, 2013 at 1:43pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
If I had to guess the standard shades with a pull cord are about $650 or so and the cordless feature is about $110 and to upgrade to the powerrise feature would add about $250 with 1 remote to control both, so that probably is about right depending on the market. There is a small handle on each shade on cordless. It has a hole in it. Depending on your age and eyesight :) it would not be too difficult to operate. Not as convenient as hitting a button though. If you don't end up getting good service let us know and we can price and order them for you. Are you having fun yet? - Chrissy
May 28, 2013 at 1:50pm   
nodeerhere
Chuckle....I've told friends that outfitting a new home is not fun. It's a lot of work! Thanks for your guidance on this! I'm in 33473. Not sure I can get up to those windows to measure perfectly. Yes, I do remember seeing a handle like that on the cordless shades somewhere.
May 28, 2013 at 1:58pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
I would try this company. They are a gallery and typically have the best deals. I don't know any of them in this particular area. With those high ceilings another added benefit is you are going to control more heat coming in and cold air going out with this particular shade. Good Luck to you - Tell them another Gallery Dealer recommended you from out of town - Let me know how it turns out!
May 28, 2013 at 2:07pm   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
What did you end up doing??? Any updates? Have a good day! - Chrissy
June 12, 2013 at 6:41am   
nodeerhere
Thank you for checking in .... I have been waylaid with some other decisions. Stay tuned.
June 12, 2013 at 8:11am   
Skyline Window Coverings & Design
Ok. Just curious.
June 12, 2013 at 12:31pm   
Cheery Curtains
June 15, 2013 at 12:38am   
nodeerhere
Not sure how curtains would look on a window that is 12 feet up. How can it be opened and closed?
June 15, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Nancy Walton
Sears and Penneys both have Made-to-Measure departments in their drapery departments. Similar to custom, only a limited selection of fabrics, less money than custom. Traverse rods are the way to go, with blackout lining in the drapes.
June 15, 2013 at 2:46pm   
Need help with window covering for light control.
We have a newly remodeled kitchen with a west facing...
Need help with transom windows
I have a lot of window issues in my new home. The first...
Help ASAP! Need some advice on transom windows
I am finishing up the design of my first home this...
Need help with window treatments. Above or below transoms?
Need to keep blinds for privacy on lower windows only....
Need help to block light coming in transoms
Night lights, I.e. neighbors flood lights on porches,...
How do I cover the window IN my shower!!
Can I put vinyl mini blinds over the window in my shower,...
Need Help in Bathroom - Can't decide what colour towels I should buy.
Hey guys, I can't redo my guest bathroom at this stage,...
Decorating around saltillo tile
Hi Houzzies! I have a design dilemma (one of many to...
Reaching top shelves in kitchen! Any ideas?
We are moving into a house where the ceiling in the...
Desperately needs help..reposting again because none helped me
Needs full decor for the living room painted recently.......