Need help with finishing off this kitchen
cordovag
Just purchased this home and love the size of the kitchen but not sure if the no uppers are working for me. Also in the works in replacing the counters with white granite and eventually changing the color of the cabinets but from a budget I would change counter before cabinets as the white will work.

Any recommendations? Im trying to stick with a modern look

Thank you
Ed
Hi cordovag, your current cabinets look very nice, sleek and modern. What's the material of your current counter top?
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:01AM
tennisanyone
I would replace the open shelves with cabinets. You can even do frosted glass of something textured to keep with the modern feel. I'm not a fan of open shelves in a kitchen just looks like clutter. Nice kitchen.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 10:04AM
cordovag
Well exactly the open shelf are making the kitchen look a bit cluttered and just wanted to clean it up a bit, I think adding the uppers should do that.

Thanks for the comments
2 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:21AM
I love the kitchen. But add cabinets in same wood. Counter tops to boring. Replace with a black granite with silver. Do glass tile long not square backsplash. In black, white, gray & stainless. Remove ceiling fans. Either replace with stainless modern. Or pendant lights.
4 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:22AM
Leave shelves on wall by refrig. Just add by stove, put glass in doors with light. Take backsplash all the way up wall.replace window covering to a black with a silver print contemporary.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
Change pulls to same brush nickel, but make on drawers long pulls running length of drawer. On cabinet shorter, run on side length of cab.
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:28AM
cordovag
Hello travisinterious, you would do black instead of the white counter?
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:28AM
Mirror the handle on micro wave.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 10:29AM
cordovag
Great ideas !
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:29AM
Yes black, not white boring. Leave cabinets color they are very nice.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 10:31AM
cordovag
You're right ! i just found a photo of a kitchen that looks exactly like you are describing and looks great !!
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 10:37AM
Jabelone
For an modern update on the counters, quartz would be a good choice. If you want dark, maybe Caesarstone Raven - a dark gray. Black granite with wood shaker cabinets can sometimes look a bit "bachelor pad" (guilty of it myself in the past). How about stainless upper cabs to replace the open shelving?

]
3 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 11:38AM
cordovag
Liking the stainless look for the cabinets also !
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 11:49AM
McCabe DeSign & Interiors
Lovely kitchen! A few ideas might be to remove shelves on fridge wall and install uppers that are lineal (ie 15-20" h and length being from fridge to wall).Stainless and frosted glass would be a good option. Either leave the shelves on stove wall or remove them and add tile to the whole wall and then underneath uppers on fridge wall. I don't think uppers will work on stove wall with the ceiling beam. Love the thought of white counters and replacing the ceiling fans with pendants. Maybe consider alternate more modern stools and remove stool near fridge. Finally, adding the same baskets as are above the fridge to above the pantry will create better balance and symmetry.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 12:14PM
aussiegirl
I would keep the current tops but paint the cabinets black!
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 12:32PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
White cabinets and white granite? Be careful! It could look too sterile and feel like a hospital. You might consider having more contrast.

In terms of painting cabinets white, I would think about keeping the existing granite counter tops. It will be a big expensive to change out the counter tops. They really look find to me, unless you don't like the color? By keeping them you can still achieve a more look modern by changing out other things, like the back splash and accessories. *** Notice the photos have granite with movement in them, like your granite.

Another idea for a more modern look, replace the upper shelving with cabinets that flip up or lift up doors with decorative glass in them. Here are a couple of examples of what I have done on two client projects. They can be a different color wood, two toned or matching existing cabinets.

I like the idea of pulls that match the appliances also, but then you have the existing knob holes to deal with? Unless you are thinking about changing out the doors and drawers with new. If you are painting the cabinets, you could fill them will wood or water putty. Make sure they are filled and sanded properly or the will see them.
4 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 1:28PM
cordovag
Any ideas on what pendant lights to swap out those fans? And didn't realize the beam for the uppers over the stove. Do you think since the uppers will be just bellow the beam it will look odd?
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 1:52PM
cordovag
This kitchen seems to match the look of the black counter nicely

1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 1:55PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
If you keep the uppers cabinets the same height as the pantry cabinet, it should clear the beam just fine. First photo shows a beam and cabinets dilemma that were creatively mastered the issue.

Lighting- Tech Lighting has some interesting pendants. The last three photos show Tech Lighting fixtures that you can snake around the room on a monorail system or have them just drop down above island area.
2 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 2:03PM
Eagledzines
I would keep the shelves idea but change them to stainless steel and white subway tile on the splash all the way up to the ceiling.

5 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 3:46PM
0825sam
Cordovag - love the last pic you posted. Definitely agree with the others - current cabinets are great and black counter would be my choice as well. Stainless and frosted glass cabinets is a nice way to add interest and avoid matching wood. I'm just repeating others now - positive reinforcement :)
3 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 4:23PM
0825sam
Idea for pendants - this light is pretty big http://m.cb2.com/noir-pendant-lamp/s441603
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 4:32PM
0825sam
Another lighting idea

1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 4:35PM
ginale
I sure hope you do not paint those cabinets! They look great, especially if you go with black counter tops! Live with this kitchen for a few months before you make any big changes. :)
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
cordovag
I saw those large lights at Ikea even though not always pleased with the quality of their product they are pretty nice to test out. Also I agree with living in the kitchen for a month or so to see what actually works before any major changes. The only thing right off the bat is the uppers, I think I am better with them then without them.
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 6:03PM
cordovag
Should the uppers be horizontal or vertical? Also should the backsplash go half-way or all the way up to ceiling?
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 7:24PM
cordovag
Sam075 - what colour wood do you recommend if I'm doing black granite? Lighter or darker then bottom cabinets?
0 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 7:26PM
OnePlan
Hi - I know it's nearly finished - but would you consider replacing the two drawers under each oven with stainless steel drawer fronts that are the correct size - or wooden ones that are the correct size ?! These are just too deep and it's throwing it all out for me ?!?
3 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 12:42AM
OnePlan
Otherwise it's beautiful, by the way !! :-)
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 12:44AM
0825sam
Do you mean wood for floor or cabinets? I like the current combination.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 4:38AM
cordovag
Sam075 - I misread your post - I thought you meant different colour wood for uppers - but you were referring to stainless steel. The matching wood uppers are $700 each vs $200 each if we go with a different cabinet make...but then the wood won't match exactly. Where can we buy stainless steel uppers...are they costly? Thanks again for all your feedback.
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 5:16AM
0825sam
Do you know the brand of your cabinets? I am thinking they probably make a stainless cabinet. When we did out kitchen the cabinet line carried a few options for metal cabinets (stainless, aluminum) with different options for glass (frosted, clear).
0 Likes   June 8, 2013 at 7:43AM
bubblyjock
You've got tons of counter space, so I might be inclined to add upper cabinets from the counters upwards, between the fridges and the corner, in a straight run. That'll give you a ton of accessible storage without closing in the room at all. You could do them with glass doors with white, cream or stainless frames. See the first big image in this Ikea page for an example:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

I like open shelves where I prep and cook, so I'd leave the open shelves flanking the cooktop, although I might lower them by 6" so they're more accessible.

Great kitchen! Did you consider soapstone vs granite? If you get Canadian soapstone, and don't oil it, it's a lovely soft-feeling medium greeny-grey colour. I'm not a fan of granite one little bit, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt!
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 7:59AM
bubblyjock
@ OnePlan - just wanted to mention that I love your idea of putting stainless steel fronts on drawers below a built-in oven! It's a much cleaner more integrated look than having drawer fronts there that match the rest of the cabinetry imo, and I'll be incorporating it in my design, all credit to you. :)
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 8:05AM
cordovag
Fantastic ideas everyone, I actually already ordered the absolute black granite and am now searching for cabinets. Love the idea of stainless below the ovens as those drawers throw me right off. Kitchen cabinets are made by thomasville.
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 1:25PM
OnePlan
Glad to have helped a little ! Can't wait to see the 'After' pics !!
:-)
Kind regards,
Karen at OnePlan
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 1:37PM
cordovag
Here is a quick update on my progress of your suggestions. Looking much better. What do we think of the sample backsplash which contains black, gray.
7 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 3:09PM
0825sam
I love your progress! I hope I do not offend but I don't care for the backsplash choice. I think your kitchen is so clean and modern and the backsplash is very busy and seems very common lately. I would do something more sleek like, for example, the large format subway tiles in the attached photo.

2 Likes   Thanked by cordovag    July 30, 2013 at 4:40PM
SawHorse Design + Build
I think glass would look nice as an option for the backsplash since you are trending modern already.
2 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 4:48PM
Unravel Design
Great to see your up grades. The mosaic glass tile has been used so often, I would love to see you do something different. Maybe continue with the stainless steel throughout or even a mirror back splash.

Also if you have enough space you could try shallow shelves.

Kitchen renovation project in Palo Alto

Sophisticated Kitchen Design - Remodeling Project in San Francisco
1 Like   July 30, 2013 at 5:43PM
jeristaley
I like the shelf idea for easy access; make the shelves appear thicker with a taller facia piece and find more contemporary brackets. Also, make sure you have some task lighting over there and the facia gives you a place to hide it. On the tall upright cabinet to the right I would replace the middle panels on the doors and replace with frosted or white rice paper-backed glass. Would look less monolithic that way. Nothing too expensive is necessary.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 6:19PM
cordovag
No offense at all sam0705 that's what this forum is about. I like the subway idea also. I am actually going to paint where the backsplash is supposed to go with the same Chelsey gray that is ontop of the cabinets as my painter left it bare as he knew i was putting a backsplash. Painting will probably give me a better idea on what a clean look is going to be like.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 6:30PM
sstarr
Don't install uppers; they are not modern, and will make your kitchen look like a typical shaker-cabinet job. Yes paint these shaker cabs a dark color, and use steel shelving if you need wall storage.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 6:32PM
sstarr
And subway tile is a dying trend.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 6:33PM
cordovag
Well too late on the uppers...lol and plus i actually like them they are practical compared to the shelves which made it look cluttered.
0 Likes   July 30, 2013 at 6:35PM
OnePlan
It's looking good !!! :-). Thanks for updating !!! Always nice to see how Houzzers are getting along !!!
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 12:27AM
0825sam
I think painting first is a good idea. Live with it and see if it feels unfinished. As much as I love the chance to add some beautiful tile or something like back painted glass for a clean look, you may not need a backsplash here. If you search houzz I noticed several modern kitchens with light wood cabinets and no backsplash.
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 6:09AM
0 Likes   July 31, 2013 at 6:11AM
cordovag
Yes a clean look is starting to look better. I am going to try a sample of a 4x12 subway tile in gray to see how it looks and will post
1 Like   July 31, 2013 at 6:20AM
cordovag
Here is one in gray.
1 Like   August 7, 2013 at 3:01PM
cordovag
What does everyone think of these pendants to replace the fans?
http://img4.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/4825/2338983/1/Landmark-Lighting-Chadwick-1-Light-Pendant.jpg
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 3:23PM
cordovag
This one
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 3:23PM
cordovag
I figured I would end off this posting with a final pictures and a thanks to all for suggestions.
9 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 10:34AM
McCabe DeSign & Interiors
Great job and fabulous transformation!
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
ginale
Gorgeous!!! You did a wonderful job!!!!!
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 6:00PM
tennisanyone
WOW Beautiful.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:12PM
Mercedes Stenberg
So impressed. Very, very nice job.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 7:21PM
lucyhomedecor
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:39PM
Brendett Miles
Gorgeous fabulous transformation!
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 8:57AM
Clever Storage by Kesseböhmer
Nice work!!
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:06AM
lisard
looks fab! question....i have a kitchen similar to your 'before' - I want to replace the knobs/doorpulls as you have done. For your drawers, I notice that you've gone with small horizontal bars. Do they have one hole or two? If one...where did you get them :) (If two, did you bother filling the central hole that would have been left by the old pull?) Thanks!
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:20AM
mark rojberg
Nice Kitchen!!!! Where is the Refrigerator ? the one which is in right corner?
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:31AM
Susan Soto
Wow!!! Awesome. Can you talk about your budget and who makes granite and the uppers you selected? And where you got the backsplash and granite etc
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:32AM
Annalee Stallman
kitchen size is gorgeous!!! and most of the kitchen looks very functional...but it doesn't have a lot of dimension to it as far as color depth and so on.....you could go a dark color for counters as its a big space and wont make it feel smaller..I'd add some cabinets instead of the shelving personally I think shelving is a waste of space I'd probably do them in a contrasting color instead of doing the same honey colored stain. I'd also add a tile back splash probably in a glass tile contemporary is my style too good luck! Congrats on your new home!! I would get rid of the ceiling fans also and put some stylish contemporary lights up!
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:34AM
0825sam
Everything came out great! I love it
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 9:38AM
cordovag
The knobs were hard to find as I went from a single center hole to a two hole setup but the nice thing about these knobs is that its solid in between so it covers the old center hole. I made a wood template for drilling. Here are the knobs
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/21335.26134-26_4.jpg
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:16AM
cordovag
The fridge is on the left hand side on the AFTER pic
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 10:18AM
lisard
Thanks! And from a fellow Canuck too so for once I will be able to buy them ;)
0 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 2:26PM
cordovag
Hello Susan, my budget was under 10k. The uppers are actually from Home Depot and ran me $1300, the granite a local shop for $5100, backsplash $600, sinks and faucets $1800.
2 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 4:39PM
Ruth Felice
I would leave the cabinets and move the micros up and use shelves to hold them,they look odd below.the counters and backsplash will make the kitchen go modern
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 9:44AM
cordovag
Hello Ruth, they are not micros they are AEG ovens
0 Likes   February 4, 2014 at 4:58AM
need help finishing off guest room please
Hi, spare room very small and I don't like a lot of...
I need a little help finishing off this room..
I have my new couch, and my Isabella mirror on the...
Need help to finish off my retro themed living area
Hi there - I need advice on how to finish off my retro...
Need help finishing off my spare bedroom.
I like the room but think it is bland and not very...
Need help finishing off the room.
Just bought a new house and have painted the family...
How to brighten my log home....thinking of painting the logs inside!
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/11487077/list/My-Houzz--A-Surprisingly-Light-Lakeside-Log-Cabin I...
need ideas for my blue bathroom
my blue bathroom is small its for the guest ,but it...
Crazy Cramped Kitchen
Our kitchen is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. The...
Should I consider painting my kitchen cabinets?
We have a galley kitchen. The previous owners installed...
Panel width
I am deciding between 12" and 8" paneling for my bathroom....