Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleesmith

Need help with dining room table placement

jleesmith
10 years ago
I can't figure where to put a dining room table . I got this one at a garage sale as a trial . It has a leaf to extend it but that doesn't seem to be working either .

Comments (35)

• dbh
    10 years ago
    It looks like if you pulled it out some, where the table is centered under that ceiling light-- that would work. If it's not square (and I can't tell), place it so that the more narrow ends allow you to walk around it easily (so it's not so close to that large cabinetry, if possible).
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    I agree with the previous comment: turn the table 90 degrees and place it under the light. You may want to consider a different light fixture and perhaps a rug underneath. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    10 years ago
    See how this looks: swap the position of the hutch to the interior wall where you have 3 hanging pieces. I also agree with the previous comments, center the table under the light, and perhaps change that fan light to a chandelier of pendant hung just above the table to create a visual division of space.

Good luck!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Can we see what the rest of the room looks like? Is your TV in the armoire? The armoire may be in the wrong spot. Can you move it more toward the living area and then try the table as others have suggested either turned and centered or just centered under the light? Love the armoire, btw.
  • jleesmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a shot of it with the table the long way under neath the light . I'm going to swap out the hutch as suggested and see how that goes . Thanks for the help!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with 'dianahb', move the table under the light. Lower the light to about 36" from the table top.
    I would maybe move the cabinet to the left of the entry to that room, lower left of the photo. Allows lots of movement around the dining table.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Oh, I think that looks much better. And I see the perspective better now, too; the table/chairs are not nearly as close to the hutch as I envisioned, from the original picture. Thanks. That looks great. I do like the idea of getting another ceiling light, or chandelier, and hanging it a bit lower, too, so that it looks of a piece-- more suggestive of "the dining area."
  • jleesmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's one huge living / dining area .
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like it under the light. Upon seeing the new photo posted, the cabinet may be fine where it is. Looks like you have space to move around it.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm thinking that the TV might work well on the right side of the fireplace in place of the chair, and two chairs on the right wall.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    How about adding a fireplace mantle and surround. Some large arwork on both sides or ..
    Maybe some built in bookcases on each side of the fireplace.
    Built Ins · More Info
    Mary Trantow · More Info
  • jleesmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We took the mantle down to paint it (And it's still in the garage ) we were trying to see if we would like the tv above fire place . I regret the sectional as I don't like the unbalanced look to the living room . Thank you for the advice .
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Would the TV fit in the armoire? If so, put it on the large wall where the TV is now. Perfect spot for viewing and leaving the fireplace as the focal point.
  • jleesmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No the tv is 60 and that cabinet only holds 32. We combined households . I did repurpose it to contain all doggie items and games so its not a waste . So disappointed that the dining room is not working out .
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Too bad, that's one lucky doggie.
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    install the tv next to the fireplace, breaking up all that brick with some white built ins. do float the sectional with the longest side facing the fireplace as suggested above. the fireplace wall is too dark; it sucks all the energy to that side. lighten it up with the built ins. the rug under the table is optional given food issues as far as I am concerned. put the money into the built ins on the fireplace wall.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Ramona, above, offered a great idea about breaking up all the brick with some built-ins. I completely agree. I would also paint the brick. And within the built-ins, you could make a space for the TV. No one could pay me enough money to put a TV above the mantel. Honestly-- I couldn't be paid enough money to do that. In fact, one other option, in addition to the built-ins, is to find another armoire that will both fit and hide the TV. I would also break up the sectional and pull the pieces away from the walls/windows to balance things out. Another armoire, or built-in bookcases along one wall would help to balance things as well. Lots of options, but get rid of the TV before putting it above the mantel. ;) Seriously.
  • donnasd
    10 years ago
    I have the tv on the opposite room from the fireplace. But, I'm wondering, dianahb, what's the problem with having the tv above the fp?
  • donnasd
    10 years ago
    sorry; I meant to say opposite 'wall'.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    As I mentioned above, if you decide on bookcases on each side of the fireplace, you would have an option to place the TV above the fireplace or use one of the bookcase shelf areas for a TV. Then, you would not be using any floor space for an armoire or TV stand. It will free up the room for the sectional and chairs or ottomans.
    Cottage details make the difference · More Info
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    donnasd, My feeling is that if you're fortunate enough to have a fireplace in a room, it should be a focal point. There's so much you can do with a mantel and fireplace. I certainly own a TV, but let's face it-- physically, they are nothing more than large rectangular flat black shiny boxes with wires coming out of them. So you're gonna now take this black box eyesore, and put it front and center of your room's focal point. There's so much more you could do (artwork; mirror; a collection of beautiful large hand-made pottery or glass vases, etc)-- so much more that would offer beauty and interest, and work to further enhance that focal point. That black box with wires does nothing. I realize people look at TV, but find some spot for it that is accessible when wanting to watch it, but hidden--- or, at least, unobtrusive when not. That's my thought.

I'll also just add that your TV is 60"-- that's seriously big. I mean, I'm only 64" tall. So even a built-in bookcase-- I don't think you could find room for it. A TV that big will never be unobtrusive, because it will take something equally big to hide it. That's a serious presence that I'd probably eliminate altogether. ;) Really. I would. We have a TV, but it's only 19". Honestly, I think TV's are becoming a thing of the past. I really do. Don't most people watch TV on their laptops or iPads or . . . ??
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with 'dianahb' about the fireplace wall being the most attractive wall in the room. I personally, prefer not to have the TV as a focal point in any room. However, some of us have hubbies that have differences of opinions. Some of us do not have many options in a room either. Houzzers have given 'jleesmith' the different options to consider. That's what it's all about. Many times design is neither right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preference.
  • donnasd
    10 years ago
    I have seen some tvs that are above the mantel but are disguised by a sliding panel, artwork, etc. Some of us, tho, have homes without any other spaces to put the tv. True, some are blessed with a man cave, separate den and l.r., rec. room, keeping room, etc. But others might not have a choice. The put-your-feet-up &- relax -room is the same place where you entertain your company. Not that you would do these things at the same time.
    And many of us have husbands whose happiness we care about ( as LB interiors has pointed out) at least as much as our own.
    So, the ideal isn't always the same as the reality. And most of the world's people live in simple/basic/ deplorable housing. Hopefully, the rest of us count our blessings & live within the parameters of what we've been given & do the best we can with it.

In my house, we have a sofa and 2 big comfy chairs facing it, with a coffee table in between the sofa and the chairs. We also have an attractive fireplace and mantel with a lovely mirror above. The chairs are traditional & they swivel, rock & recline; they came from Norwalk. From the sofa AND the chairs, you can easily shift your focus from the (I think it's a 32") tv to the fireplace on the opposite wall. And all these items have to co-exist in the same room (CO-EXISTENCE: its not just for politics anymore). And that seems to work for us. I'm just saying...And we also make room for beautiful art, as well as a collection of pottery & other meaningful objects that continue to remind us that life is not all about the t.v.
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    placing the tv above the fireplace is not ideal because of the angle of viewing and the proportions, but there are beautiful ways to place it to the side.

take this idea for camouflauging the tv by surrounding it with dark but place it off to the side of the fireplace

[houzz=
    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    ]
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    "Some of us, tho, have homes without any other spaces to put the t.v." Seriously? No other place, other than over the mantelpiece? My suspicion is that if you have a fireplace and mantel -- and a 60" TV for which you need to find a spot-- you probably have "other spaces." Just a suspicion on my part. And, really, if you live in a home "without any other spaces to put the t.v.," my thought is that you should probably rid yourself of the t.v. (at least a 5' one).

And every single time I have ever mentioned on this site that someone should forgo the idea of putting the TV over the mantel (which seems to be tantamount to a sin), it always (100% of the time) comes back to the adoring husband. I don't get it. If I lived with someone who needed to have an enormous TV over the mantel, or placed at some other equally inappropriate location, I would . . . oh, never mind. I wouldn't be living with someone like that. And if I did (which I wouldn't), I'd find other ways to make him happy without giving up or suffocating my own sense of design.
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    @dianaahb really, do you have to be so judgmental? I actually had no other place as my living room had only two walls and the tv wasn't going to go opposite the fireplace. that just wasn't going to work in my space.

one wall is open to the dining room; the other to the sun room.

but next time, the tv will go to the side if it is at all possible.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    "Some" architects, builders and contractors overlook the value of furniture placement in their design plans. Sometimes not sufficient wall space.
  • donnasd
    10 years ago
    Excuse me, dianahb; I NEVER said that I have a 60" t.v. Go back & read my post. I have a t.v. that is closer to a

32" which is what I said in my 2nd post here. You seem to be pretty quick to criticize. Pray tell, just where am I

keeping this 60" t.v. ? And where in my post did I say that I had one? I'd really like to know.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    donnasd: And if you bothered to read my post at all carefully, you will see that I never said you had a 60" TV. Your quote, that "some of us have no other place to put a TV," I found unbelievable. My point is that if you have a mantel and fireplace, and if you own a TV (60" or 32"-- it doesn't matter)-- you probably have some other wall space that will hold a TV, whether on a wall or in a cabinet or in a bookcase. Above a mantel/fireplace being the "only" place you have to put a big TV is simply not to be believed. That was my point.

And, of course, I'm critical. Absolutely. I think this site is incredible, and incredibly worthwhile, but anyone who cares to post is offering his or her own judgment and criticism. Whether that person is a 'professional' or not makes no difference. It's all criticism and judgment, some of it comes from formal training-- so it has a proven record-- but it's still criticism.

And anyone who will tell you that a big old flat black box, with wires hanging out of it, will look just fine over your fireplace-- is simply not being honest. I think anyone can do what he or she wants with their surroundings-- but if you're going to post here, I think you should at least be honest. To tell this OP, or anyone, that a big old TV over top of the mantel would look just fine and is aesthetically pleasing is simply not being honest or helpful.

I'll add once again that I think big old TV's are a thing of the past. They are beginning to look quite old-fashioned and almost quaint. Once again, that's my opinion/judgment/criticism.
  • lazy_lurker
    10 years ago
    If you ever want to work out to a video on your TV, having it high on the wall will make it difficult (sore neck!). I like the idea of built-ins around your fireplace, and the TV to one side (preferably camouflaged).
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    for the record, our tvs are going to become wall sized; they will be printed on something less than an inch thick and will be hung like glass and/or recessed into the wall. they are getting bigger, not smaller. thank you very much.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Possibly, but I personally know no one under the age of 40 who owns a big TV-- or, who even owns a TV. Not that they're not watching TV, they just watch with iPads, etc. Interesting article here on TV viewing habits of young (and old) people-- and where they are seeing their TV shows. As the older folks, with their big old TV's die, young people-- as they age-- will most likely continue to watch TV in the way that they're accustomed (and that's not via a big screen TV). http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/business/media/young-people-are-watching-but-less-often-on-tv.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So, for me, whenever I see one of those big TV screens, I just think old people (read: old-fashioned). And I'm over 40, so it's okay for me to say that. ;)
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    i am just absolutely sure that you have your pulse on the future.
  • donnasd
    10 years ago
    "I'll also just add that your TV is 60" -- that's seriously big. I mean, I'm only 64" tall." Houzz must not have read the memo about TVs over the fp. You might google 'tvs over fireplace' to see the THOUSANDS of photos of gorgeous homes with TVs located right over the fp. Hmmm,,,I 'm wondering now about why in the world you would even WANT to exercise your superior "opinion/judgment/criticism" on a such a quaint & obviously inferior site. A site that has the audacity to post pics of a "big black eyesore" so many times & in so many (breathtaking) rooms. To display these tacky photos as examples! I hope this doesn't suffocate anyone's sense of design.

You know, we all hopefully develop the art of compromise. Most people learn it. So whether it's our children's toys or parents' old recliner, or an "adoring" husband's electronics, we learn how to give and take. That reminds me. Do you recall the TV show, 'Frazier'? Guess not, since you never watch TV. Okay, I'll explain it to you. Right in the middle of Frazier's beautiful, tasteful and ONLY living space, his dad (WHO LIVED THERE, TOO) had put his patched up, ugly, ancient recliner. AND, the TV was in the same room! It was such a shame because the fireplace was just incredible! Oh, & how his dad's walking stick REALLY cluttered up the place! The nerve of his dad! And that Frazier allowed these assaults on his home is shocking! He should have banished his dad to his bedroom along with his recliner, cane & TV. Or maybe just have banned his dad & his things from his home, entirely.

The point is this: When OTHER PEOPLE share our homes with us, we might have to actually do what is completely unacceptable in the dianahb ABSOLUTE Book of Interior Design.