durning
August 23, 2011 in Photo Questions
We are debating between a granite vs. concrete countertop for a traditional lake house kitchen. What are the pros and cons of concrete?
Niki Papadopoulos
Both are very durable but I will say that you will get better stain resistance with Granite over Concrete. Concrete is more porous so you will always see condensation from a glass but that will dry. Where it is a problem is with oils or spills that have color (like red wine) they can be difficult to get out, if at all. While Granite should also be sealed properly and is not impervious to staining, it is absolutely more resistant. I love both and have used both. I always tell clients to think about how they interact with their kitchen and let that be a big driving force. For example, do you leave food on your counters when cooking, say a cut lemon, or do you roll out cookie dough on the counter, those are things to think about because if the answer is yes, concrete is probably not for you.

Otherwise, both are beautiful, both are strong, you can get a great custom look out of both. Concrete can have a really lovely consistent look where Granite can be a bit busy. Concrete will most likely be a bit more expensive since it has to be poured to the dimensions of your kitchen, it will also take longer to fabricate. I don't want this to sound like I am raining on your concrete parade because I do love it, but you have to be a little bit more aware when you are working on a concrete kitchen.

Perhaps if you like the look of concrete but need the durability of granite, you should consider a quartz product like Caesarstone. I hope this was helpful, good luck!
5 Likes   August 23, 2011 at 9:46AM
0 Likes   August 23, 2011 at 10:49AM
durning
Thank you so much! Your reply and link were very helpful.
0 Likes   August 23, 2011 at 3:06PM
grandmato2
Caesar stone in Devon
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
Living Room / Den HELP Needed
Hello fellow Houzzers! I welcome your thoughts, suggestions,...
feh9bc
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Family Room
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows....
jschlemm
Kitchen counter help
We are planning on painting the cupboards white, installing...
raybran
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc