How would you dress this kitchen window?
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
This is a side kitchen window. It faces a quiet street, but nighttime privacy is important to me. The plank walls are BM Revere Pewter and there is a sizeable pantry/cabinet directly to the right.

I like the idea of a matchstick roman shade, but would it be best to have floor length curtains flanking the sides? Maybe a California shutter? I'm really digging the clean lines right now and am having a difficult time figuring out the next best step. Whatever I choose for this window will be what I do with the large windows above the sink on the other side of the kitchen. Help, y'all!
I think cotton roman shades would look nice. Clean lines and privacy and not fussy.

May 27, 2013 at 3:09pm     
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I think Roman shades, patterned or solid.
May 27, 2013 at 3:47pm   
LB Interiors
I like roman shades. Mount them high. I would get them long enough, to not block the light during the day.
May 27, 2013 at 3:53pm     
Cat Rowe
Lined bamboo roman style shade from Smith Noble. Then add your floor lenght 1/2 panels. I dont believe there is room for full panels. I woud also panel the ceiling with white washed 3 inch pine. Install it going towards the window. Remove light fixture and put 2-3 3inch pot lights over the breakfast bar.
May 27, 2013 at 3:54pm     
studio10001
Burlap Romans, if you prefer the rustic over the soft effect. Or maybe just paint a thin grey trim line, and enjoy the view.
May 27, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Wendi Brotherton Design
roman shade best... your cabinet looks very close to window on the right side.. so simple flat shade best.... and the room needs some softness that fabric can provide
May 27, 2013 at 4:46pm     
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
Wow! Overwhelming Roman lovers in the house! Cat, the room is right smack dab in the middle of reno-Ville and my plan is to do a coffered ceiling. Was going to do a plank ceiling (way easier), but was worried that the kitchen would look too plank-world-ish. Thoughts?
May 27, 2013 at 4:53pm   
Eagledzines
Yes.
May 27, 2013 at 5:04pm   
LB Interiors
My vote is for a coffered ceiling.
May 27, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
definitely roman shades, keeps the simple clean lines & you can add pattern or just colour. Coffered ceiling would dress it up. Nice
May 27, 2013 at 5:25pm   
Genevieve
You will need something that you can pull up so that the cat wont pull on it and rip ,I find that I have to keep the blind half way up so that the cat can look outside .

]
May 27, 2013 at 5:33pm   
studio10001
I just played Where's Waldo with the photo before the bulb went off - Genevieve, Cat is a responding poster! LOL
May 27, 2013 at 6:08pm     
Genevieve
HaHAHA!! its a paint can :)) I tought that it was a cat bowl,need to wear my glasses .
May 27, 2013 at 6:17pm   
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
Ha! I was thinking...'Am I giving off a really strong 'cat' vibe? I've got two little boys, I suppose they're kinda like cats...'
May 27, 2013 at 6:25pm   
Shutters could be ideal for your windows. They have space to fold back against the cabinet on one side and the wall on the other, in the kitchen. I like to open the whole shutter and not just the louvers in the daytime, or adjust them to control the amount of light or direct sun coming into the room. I would not put draperies in a kitchen.
May 27, 2013 at 6:25pm     
Genevieve
Cheery Curtains do you also sell valances from the same fabric?
May 27, 2013 at 6:47pm   
Cheery Curtains
@Genevieve, yes, valances with the same fabrics are available.

You just tell me the valance style and size you want and we will make the custom valance for you, at very good prices.

If you have no idea about the valance style now, you can also send me a photo of your windows and I will give you suggestions.
May 27, 2013 at 6:52pm   
shortped
Roman shades or plantation shutters.
May 27, 2013 at 6:54pm   
marylgregory
Carol, I agree with Carolyn, but would expand her thought to exclude ANY fabric treatments in kitchen.

What about white (off-white?) plantation shutters? This would blend well with your bar stool(s.) And I would hang a great, colorful picture at the left of the window.
May 27, 2013 at 6:58pm   
Yes, the shutters should match the window trim.
May 27, 2013 at 7:00pm   
studio10001
(I like it best with nothing on....)
May 27, 2013 at 7:01pm   
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
Studio, I agree with you. But at night, you can see clearly through the kitchen and dining room, etc.... My perpetually naked family needs shielding. Maybe I can get them to start being more decent around here by not putting anything up?

I should also mention that this is a north-facing window, so not a ton of light. If I were to price out plantation shutters, any recommendations?
May 27, 2013 at 7:29pm   
studio10001
Why ever- aren't they cute? :)))
May 27, 2013 at 8:29pm   
Carol @ Elephant Buffet
Super-cute. :)
May 28, 2013 at 4:33am     
JMittman Designs
I have had great experience with Norman shutters. --Long lead time though--
May 28, 2013 at 6:41am   
Mirrored Powder Room
The previous owner put floor to ceiling mirror in the...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
Furniture layout
I need to find a way to put more seating in my living...
Sunbleached buttercup yellow has to go!
We're looking for new paint colors and any suggestions...
Need Help to Liven Up The Red Brick Ranch
OK, I need to repaint the front door and shutters....