Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_skoien

Need help with designing home exterior!

Natalie Skoien
10 years ago
My father and I recently got together and purchased this house with the intent to flip it. It has been on the market for years now and the family that was building it was unable to finish it. It has been sitting vacant and unfinished. As you can see, the exterior is not quite finished. We like the stonework but are not too excited about the stucco. The stucco has to be re-done no matter what because it is patchy in places. Since we have to replace the stucco, we were thinking of going with something else to coordinate with the stone. Siding, different color stucco, extending the stonework all the way to the roof in some more places, cedar shakes, or anything really. Obviously we want the house to look its best for flipping. Any design suggestions on what we can do with the exterior to make it look beautiful without ripping off the stone? Color suggestions are helpful too. If it helps, this home was designed as a french provincial. It has very high ceilings inside and high doorways, etc. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• rinked
    10 years ago
    You could calm down the sharpness of the large garage gable by turning it into a hip roof. This way all attention goes to the entry.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    I like the oatmeal color stucco idea Brenda posted. A bit more limestone-dirty-ish would look great too. If you're getting a new coat of stucco, add large stone texture (grout lines), so it looks like the large limestone/concrete blocks they use in France. Cedar shingles on the barn. All doors in a brownred stain (or wood lookalike). A larger arched window on the left side of the entry or a round window above it, no awnings or shutters. And then landscaping; pea gravel and slate, rose bushes and hedges.
    French Country Style · More Info

Ponomareva residence · More Info

Portfolio · More Info

Garden House · More Info

Garden House · More Info

Normandy House · More Info
  • Natalie Skoien
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thank you Brenda and Rinqreation for your suggestion of Oatmeal stucco and especially for the pictures you provided. Perhaps if we go with Oatmeal stucco and change the trim from light to a dark brown? Like Brenda, I dislike how much garage there is as well, but at this point that isn't changing. Changing the garage into a hip roof is a great idea.
  • Natalie Skoien
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Rinqreation for all your great suggestions! Can you explain what you mean by "cedar shingles on the barn"?
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Give the building on the right a different look by putting up cedar (shingle) siding. A more barn feel.
  • Natalie Skoien
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, okay. Thank you! I have attached a different view of the house in the picture below. What do you think should be done in the gable? The same cedar shingles that are on the detached garage? As you can see, the garage also has these gables. Not sure what to do with them...
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    The gables look chopped off.. not sure what the builder had in mind. However, make your other improvements before you consider working on a new roof.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    I would use the same finish as the wall below. But cedar would look good too, maybe use horizontal planks instead of shingles? Above the front door is a similar space, you could use the same finish on.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Maybe you could remove the stone facings on the barn to use on the side of the house (looks unfinished right now) and do the whole barn in clapboard. Or buy some extra if still available of course.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!