1969 Kitchen needs help
woodfarm
I'm thinking new flooring, new countertops and backsplash. I am leaning towards a whie painted finish on the cabinets with stainless hinges and round knobs. There's a peninsula that I'd like to remove, and make an island with counter hang over for stools.....colors, floor finishes, any groovy ideas are much appreciated-thanks in advance
Are you keeping the cabinets and going to paint them? Are they real wood to paint or a laminate?
May 27, 2013 at 7:55pm   
woodfarm
Forgot to mention the screens and hanging pendant in the foyer,essential elements to maintain the integrity of the house and carry over to the kitchen, bit of a challenge.
May 27, 2013 at 7:57pm   
houssaon
Sounds like your are on the right track. Your kitchen has a great layout and an island will open the kitchen to the adjacent room. Looking at the pictures you just posted, maybe you should keep the wood tone and jazz up the counter top, back-splash and wall color. I can't see all that wood is painted white.
May 27, 2013 at 7:57pm   
woodfarm
Cabinets are particle board
May 27, 2013 at 8:34pm   
Your space(s) reminds me a bit like mid century modern. I like your thought process and I'd keep the wood cabinets and play it up. Instead of the island, I'd make a pennisula (remove the upper cabinets) and add cool pendants and a sputnick chandelier in the dining space. For the flooring, a large scale vinyl "tile" flooring and a laminate counter that looks a bit retro. So, mid century, updated retro space. Your stainless steel appliances will work beautifully.
May 27, 2013 at 9:42pm   
Here is a mid-century style kitchen with a peninsula and retro light fixtures for ideas...

May 27, 2013 at 9:47pm     
studio10001
I agree w the above, but maybe we are missing something -in what way were you hoping that an island would improve functionality? The space already looks open and light filled?
May 27, 2013 at 10:00pm   
woodfarm
In terms of functionality, I thought of bringing the peninsula out a bit as an island into the breakfast nook area seen thru the wood screen that is in the foyer. I really appreciate your responses! Now re-considering painting the cabinets white.....yes very much leaning to mid century, love idea of mixing some contemporary with a heavy nod to MCM. See the tall cabinet at turn in the peninsula? It's a tall cabinet that has good storage, can I keep that there if I bump out the island? So much to consider : )
May 28, 2013 at 3:34am   
lbelmona
I suggest a green backsplash with geometric detail extending above the wall cabinets. White countertops. And oh, don't paint the cabinets, I love the brown of the wood against the modern of the white. The 3rd pic attached is an example of what you can do with the peninsula if you wanted a dining area but don't wanna go to the island option
May 28, 2013 at 4:39am   
KARKELA CONSTRUCTION
I would also remove the penninsula and the upper cabinet , add a island with a overhang for seating, this would open up the kitchen and then upgrade the counter tops to a solid surface product with a ceramic backsplash and under counter lighting. This would give you a updated look. Leave the cabinets as they are.
May 28, 2013 at 8:50am   
Granite Transformations
I'd agree with the above comments- keep the wood look. Especially if the cabinets are particle board, I'd forgoe painting and keep the look. That will save you money for new counters, appliances and backsplash. I'd go with stainless steel for the appliances.

I think a light colored countertop would be the right choice. I think our King Ivory granite would look great in your kitchen. We can install without demolition too. See here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

For backsplash, I'd go with a glass subway tile. The modern/retro feel would work really well in your kitchen.

I like your idea of replacing the peninsula with an island too. Hope all goes well with the remodel!
May 28, 2013 at 9:18am   
Clever Storage by Kesseböhmer
I really like Darzy's idea of the cabinets over the peninsula. Some new hardware like in ibelmona's picture would look great on the cabinets as well.

Have you thought of anything for the backsplash?
May 28, 2013 at 10:06am   
woodfarm
Thanks everyone!
I'm in a holding pattern right now with the renovation-hope to be back on track soon.
May 29, 2013 at 2:35pm   
woodfarm
Is this lampshade wrong for this Plasto lamp?
June 26, 2013 at 5:12pm   
1969 Architects Home/ Kitchen Remodel
We were reluctant to take a wall down to open up the...
Kitchen renovation: 1969 colonial to Today's standard
Renovated 1969 colonial. Previous first floor was compartmentalized;...
SAY GOODBYE TO 1969 KITCHEN
These are the before pics..the kitchen was very tiny,...
We bought a house that was built in 1969 and needs updating!!!
The cost is key for our family. We definitely need...
Need a remodel of a 1969 bathroom, especially cabinetry and mirrors.
The main bathroom in my home is original to the house...
Help need advice for crown molding not butting up to kitchen cabinets
Hi I just had some crown molding installed and my contractor...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Does anyone have a sink facing a wall?
Planning a new build. Don't want anything on my island...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...