1969 Kitchen needs help

woodfarmMay 27, 2013
I'm thinking new flooring, new countertops and backsplash. I am leaning towards a whie painted finish on the cabinets with stainless hinges and round knobs. There's a peninsula that I'd like to remove, and make an island with counter hang over for stools.....colors, floor finishes, any groovy ideas are much appreciated-thanks in advance
Are you keeping the cabinets and going to paint them? Are they real wood to paint or a laminate?
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 7:55PM
woodfarm
Forgot to mention the screens and hanging pendant in the foyer,essential elements to maintain the integrity of the house and carry over to the kitchen, bit of a challenge.
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 7:57PM
houssaon
Sounds like your are on the right track. Your kitchen has a great layout and an island will open the kitchen to the adjacent room. Looking at the pictures you just posted, maybe you should keep the wood tone and jazz up the counter top, back-splash and wall color. I can't see all that wood is painted white.
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 7:57PM
woodfarm
Cabinets are particle board
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:34PM
Your space(s) reminds me a bit like mid century modern. I like your thought process and I'd keep the wood cabinets and play it up. Instead of the island, I'd make a pennisula (remove the upper cabinets) and add cool pendants and a sputnick chandelier in the dining space. For the flooring, a large scale vinyl "tile" flooring and a laminate counter that looks a bit retro. So, mid century, updated retro space. Your stainless steel appliances will work beautifully.
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:42PM
Here is a mid-century style kitchen with a peninsula and retro light fixtures for ideas...
Mid Century Modern Kitchen · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:47PM
studio10001
I agree w the above, but maybe we are missing something -in what way were you hoping that an island would improve functionality? The space already looks open and light filled?
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:00PM
woodfarm
In terms of functionality, I thought of bringing the peninsula out a bit as an island into the breakfast nook area seen thru the wood screen that is in the foyer. I really appreciate your responses! Now re-considering painting the cabinets white.....yes very much leaning to mid century, love idea of mixing some contemporary with a heavy nod to MCM. See the tall cabinet at turn in the peninsula? It's a tall cabinet that has good storage, can I keep that there if I bump out the island? So much to consider : )
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 3:34AM
lbelmona
I suggest a green backsplash with geometric detail extending above the wall cabinets. White countertops. And oh, don't paint the cabinets, I love the brown of the wood against the modern of the white. The 3rd pic attached is an example of what you can do with the peninsula if you wanted a dining area but don't wanna go to the island option
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 4:39AM
KARKELA CONSTRUCTION
I would also remove the penninsula and the upper cabinet , add a island with a overhang for seating, this would open up the kitchen and then upgrade the counter tops to a solid surface product with a ceramic backsplash and under counter lighting. This would give you a updated look. Leave the cabinets as they are.
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 8:50AM
Granite Transformations
I'd agree with the above comments- keep the wood look. Especially if the cabinets are particle board, I'd forgoe painting and keep the look. That will save you money for new counters, appliances and backsplash. I'd go with stainless steel for the appliances.

I think a light colored countertop would be the right choice. I think our King Ivory granite would look great in your kitchen. We can install without demolition too. See here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

For backsplash, I'd go with a glass subway tile. The modern/retro feel would work really well in your kitchen.

I like your idea of replacing the peninsula with an island too. Hope all goes well with the remodel!
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 9:18AM
Clever Storage by Kesseböhmer
I really like Darzy's idea of the cabinets over the peninsula. Some new hardware like in ibelmona's picture would look great on the cabinets as well.

Have you thought of anything for the backsplash?
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 10:06AM
woodfarm
Thanks everyone!
I'm in a holding pattern right now with the renovation-hope to be back on track soon.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:35PM
woodfarm
Is this lampshade wrong for this Plasto lamp?
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:12PM
How would you design this space?? Need help mixing old and new decor!
I have recently moved and am looking to give my new...
knightchick87
Need help with kitchen hood color in pure white kitchen
We are going to order a kitchen hood from CKS in Seattle...
wakefield52
Need help with kitchen cabinets and kitchen
My husband wants to paint the cabinets. What color...
nebs
Need help with kitchen design around a kitchen beam
I am remodeling a lake cottage and want to have matching...
jvcrobin
Need help with kitchen! A lot of wood colors in this kitchen, too much.
My kitchen is a nice kitchen with an excellent layout....
sherriss
Need ideas or links for TV in corner....
Due to the configuration of my 2nd floor landing, the...
Diane G.
Arborite counter, I need help.
I want to install an undermount silgranit II sink in...
Madeleine Renee
need help for my patio
We have a space on patio covered with dirt. We would...
Cathy Stanley Stewart
Need help to finish the 3 sided fireplace....
Well we removed the half wall and installed this gas...
Denise
Need design help for Backyard Patio
Hi! With summer just around the corner, we are trying...
lizky