Bedroom Floor - design dilemma
trendimom
Hi Smart people
I am attaching a pdf file of the design my architect drew up for a renovation of our 2nd Floor (bedroom floor). The back of the house is at the top of the screen and there are views over the city. Take a look and give me comments PLEASE!! I have some real problems with this such as small alcoves, the placement of closets, blocking of light etc. The Bedroom2 design is closer to the one I drew up with the master in the back. Any thoughts?

Thanks a million in advance
printesa
out of the two, I would try to work with the second plan. However, I don't see the entrance for the master bathroom. Also, I am not sure about the small closet from the master bath. The idea of having two sinks for the other two bedrooms seems ok
May 29, 2013 at 2:17pm   
trendimom
Thanks. The entrance is the door on the right as you go up the stairs, so as you enter the bathroom door (which he does not show) is on the right into the New Master Bath, Then you walk through to the bedroom. I had originally put the master bath where the architect has without the closet, and then the W/D and small closet became a walk in closet.
May 29, 2013 at 2:30pm   
OnePlan
I've tweaked plans 2
1. Take out the extra closet and simply use the one previously for master to make room feel bigger and gain better light from window.
2. Make laundry cupboard as small as is needed .
3. Enlarge closet in master bath
4. Add row of closet space in new master bed - float bed forward to gain great views.
Will attaché a sketch
May 29, 2013 at 2:46pm     
OnePlan
Oh ! And add a door into the master en suite ! Tee hee !
May 29, 2013 at 2:46pm   
trendimom
Thanks! So helpful. (much better too). What do you think of the idea of creating a hall from the stairs forward. Moving the bathroom down so that it is next to the bottom bedroom (and has a big window out) so that the bathroom is accessible from the hallway for both bedrooms instead of being a jack n jill? Then move the closet down to lower level of the middle bedroom opening up the top of the bedroom?
May 29, 2013 at 8:09pm   
OnePlan
IMO the space that's currently being used for J&J bathroom is big enough , if you take it right down to the bottom wall with window, to have two proper ensuites with a loo shower and basin , ie one each ! It means one will have a window and one won't ! But would be a better solution for who ever is using those bathrooms ( ie if they are children now - they won't be for long - so as this is a long term investment - this would be a better use of space)
May 30, 2013 at 12:05am   
trendimom
I have redone the floor plan but wondered if it is too claustrophobic / tight fitting? I am envisaging the master bed at the back with the master bedroom in hallway as you move up to master and the walk-in closet on the right as you enter the master bedroom space. With the other bedrooms, there are two slightly different options; one with two bathrooms and one with a bathroom and more storage space for w/d etc. What do you think?

June 10, 2013 at 4:02pm   
trendimom
Anyone have any comments?
June 12, 2013 at 9:38am   
OnePlan
Hi ! I'd envisaged the master bed floating forward of the wardrobe area - rather than butted up against it ... Think the two en suites work better like this first revision - what happened to all the lovely windows in the master bedroom ?!?!
June 12, 2013 at 11:59am   
trendimom
thanks - I'm leaning towards the two bathrooms as well. I think they work better than the architect's plans above but since this was my original idea and he revised them as above I guess he is thinking there is something wrong with my plans and that they don't work. I added the wardrobes per your idea - he hasn't seen that. Oneplan - I feel that floating the bed forward too much will seem like the bed is in the middle of the floor. But then how to access the wardrobe space if I don't? something I need to think about

The windows in the master will stay, four on the back and two on the side!

Thanks for contributing
June 12, 2013 at 1:07pm   
OnePlan
There's nothing wrong with a bed in the middle of a room - with a Pony wall behind - but if you really don't like it - then have sliding wardrobes so you have access to most of the storage more easily !
June 12, 2013 at 1:27pm   
trendimom
OnePLan - thanks for your comments. I just saw your Website. Wow! Beautiful work, very much my style. I'm from London UK so will look you up if we renovate our place there. (currently in US). Hate to harp on, but do you think my lay-out works better than the architects two original plans? Any drawbacks that you can see? Do you think it might feel claustrophobic (am intending to add some skylights in areas where too dark, should help)
June 13, 2013 at 2:32pm   
OnePlan
thank you !! sorry for slow response - been a hectic week - not much time to Houzz ! I think swapping the jack and Jill for two separate bathrooms is much better - I like the way you changed the second bedroom so it feels bigger ! I think if you put the master bed on the top wall - this will allow you to loose the 'bed in the middle if the room ' feeling that you aren't sold on ! the images are coming up quite small - so I'm not exactly sure what the space in the second bathroom is ?! WM and TD stack maybe ?!? if just more wardrobe space - I'd link it with the other wardrobe and keep it out if the bathroom ?!
June 14, 2013 at 6:45am   
OnePlan
Oh - the door situation - the bathroom door need to open the opposite hinging and inwards so it doesn't clash with the third bedroom ! And theat bedroom door needs to be opposite hinge and inwards too !
June 14, 2013 at 7:09am   
OnePlan
Uh - scratch that - the door needs to go from the bedroom Into the ensuite not the hallway ! I've got another meeting now - so haven't got time to sketch it - but knock through the wardrobe space in the bathroom bit - so access is only between bedroom and ensuite - not hallway ! Then WM & TD stack can go in thin cupboard next to master ensuite !
June 14, 2013 at 7:12am   
OnePlan
Client running late - so had time to scribble !!! - will be tied up for a bit now - but will check back later ! Kind regards, Karen at OnePlan
June 14, 2013 at 7:39am   
trendimom
Brill! Flow is great. I think after much deliberation I have got what I want with no funky closets getting in the way! I was thinking of putting in a door in the master bathroom leading to the closet behind for extra master bedroom storage. Maybe too much? I just visited a house yesterday that had the walk-in off of the bathroom and I had considered this before but thought it wouldn't work. Having seen it, it's not a bad idea.
June 14, 2013 at 1:41pm   
OnePlan
Well if you move WM & TD to the font of that cupboard - then the rest of the cupboard can be accessed from inside the ensuite ! Cool !
June 14, 2013 at 2:14pm   
OnePlan
Think it might be an idea to split the laundry cupboard into a linen cupboard opening on the landing - then an area for hanging things and accessing the WM and TD through the ensuite !
June 16, 2013 at 1:30pm   
Master bedroom & bath design dilemma
We are remodeling our master bedroom and bath. Should...
Bedroom design dilemma
Hi, I could really use some design suggestions for...
Master Bedroom and Ensuite Bathroom Design Dilemma!
The space I am going to convert is a second living...
Master Bedroom Design and Niche Dilemma
NOTE: This attached pics are the previous homeowners...
Master bedroom Design Dilemma!
Help! I need to choose a carpet for my bedroom and...
Living Room: Something is Missing...
Just moved from a 1BR apt to a 3 bedroom house. I am...
dining room styles mismatched
I have an old (40's or 50's?) colonial style dining...
Refurbish Old Wicker Loveseat
Okay, yesterday I found and purchased an old wicker...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
generic ceiling paint question
Hello All, My wife and I just purchased a single family...