Grout .. sealer?
grandmalucy12
Now my contractor says 99% of the time he never puts a sealer on grout when doing tile floors ! Is he correct? Also grout went down today and he says you have to wait 4 days. I am insisting on sealing grout. Thoughts?
hazeldazel
fire the contractor. seal grout once a year.
May 30, 2013 at 2:03PM   
kimdee24
My builder did not seal any of the grout on my floors or shower. They told me it's something they leave to the homeowner to do if they want to (it's time consuming, so they just don't).

I've never done it and it's just fine.
May 30, 2013 at 2:15PM   
0825sam
I was also told I did not need to seal the grout in my bathrooms.
May 30, 2013 at 2:21PM   
Fred S
Most contractors consider sealing grout a maintenance thing. Just to be clear, I believe it should be done by the tile layer the first time on new construction, but have never found a tile layer that will come back and do it for a reasonable price. I explain this to all my customers before a contract is signed. When I tell them how much we will add to the price if they want it done, they always opt to do it themselves. Hazel said it without knowing, that it is actually a once a year maintenance issue. You don't see the landscape coming back and watering your lawn for you, do you? Sealing is more for staining as if you dropped makeup on it or grape juice.
May 30, 2013 at 2:29PM   
TMK Remodeling
We always add a product called boost as an additive to the grout. Boost is a sealer and goes on with the grouting. No need for the homeowner to seal it.
May 30, 2013 at 3:08PM     
hazeldazel
I don't expect that the contractor come back and do it every year but he should most definitely do it on installation. (my bad for being so brief) Water infiltration is a big deal guys, and can cause major damage. Especially if there's a shower in the area, a lot of water can get all over the place. Also, doesn't 4 days seems really long for letting the grout dry? Or is that just me?
May 30, 2013 at 5:58PM   
Fred S
Just you.
May 30, 2013 at 6:01PM   
kimdee24
hazeldazel, a properly built shower will be unconcerned about whether or not the grout is sealed. My hero, Mike Holmes, on grout sealer:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/seal-your-tiles-not-your-grout/article1061504/
May 30, 2013 at 6:20PM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
It can go either way sealer or no sealer the tile guys I work around have all gone to epoxy grouts no sealer needed
May 30, 2013 at 8:03PM   
Fred S
Do the tile guys you work around put up signs that say "don't walk on floor for 24 hours" and not put a date and time they put the sign up. Or does that just happen here?
May 30, 2013 at 8:18PM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
Haha it happens here too
May 30, 2013 at 8:20PM   
Fred S
When I find a place it doesn't happen, I'm moving there.......and buying a lottery ticket!
May 30, 2013 at 8:23PM     
Rococo llc
For shower, floor and marble it is a must. But it's something that you can do it by yourself, not a big deal
May 30, 2013 at 8:33PM   
grandmalucy12
I asked the tile guy to use epoxy grout and he said it was hard to use and was messy and didn't do it.
May 30, 2013 at 9:24PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Not all tile setters know how to use it . It's not any messier than any other grout you have to work fast and change the water a lot you definitely need a couple of helpers
May 30, 2013 at 9:28PM   
Fred S
It is messy and hard to use. If every thing under the tile is done right it is not necessary. I only use it in special situations. It sets up way too quick.
May 30, 2013 at 9:30PM     
FWIW: Over on this side of the pond..... at least in Switzerland:
1. no grout or tiling is sealed - if the owner wishes to, they can but it is not considered part of the "tiling service"; 2. one can purchase a very expensive sealer for marble; most people don't even use it;
3. Epoxy grouts are entering the market and my last experience with a tiler meant we had to dig out a river-rock shower base. Then he hazed all the tiles as he didn't clean up properly afterwards. Probably great in the right hands.
4. We are all meant to re-do the silicone in our bathrooms every 5 years - never seen it done
May 30, 2013 at 9:48PM     
Need help with Apoxy grout for kitchen or sanded grout with added sealer!
I am gutting kitchen and taking up porcelain tile and...
What is the best grout sealer for polished porcelain tiles?
I'm looking for something with good quality that doesn't...
What color grout did you use here, and can you recommend a sealer?
I'd like to try to keep the color and finish as close...
Grout sealer - nontoxic
Wanting to seal my bathroom grout. It is new. I do...
Grout sealer
I did a search for this discussion but couldn't find...
Need help picking paint colours
I need help choosing two new paint colours (one for...
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...
Need help with my living room!!!
I'm not comfortable with my living room layout. I keep...
Fabric --who is the vendor? Lido Salmon
Does anyone know who the designer/manufacturer of this...
Headboard in front of window.
Looking for a way to build or buy and mount a low...