Should I paint my kitchen island?
eltjen
I want to add dimension to the kitchen decor and wonder if painting the island black is a good idea. My appliances are black, countertop is a neutral granite with black and brown specks, cabinets are a medium brown. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Gantt's Decorating
For what it's worth, If you were my client, I would urge you to paint the island and cabinets the color of the back splash. By their very nature kitchens are choppy spaces and need to be "unified" not contrasted.While black and white are not good food colors you have gone down that road, so at least eliminate the contrast. I would accessorize with terracotta( which is a great food color) and greens to help warm it up a little. I would also paint the bar stools white. Hope thisw helped.
May 31, 2013 at 8:10am     
eltjen
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion.
May 31, 2013 at 8:14am   
I would! If it were mine, that is: [houzz=
]
May 31, 2013 at 8:19am     
Ann
I think painting the island black might work quite well in your kitchen. With the light tile floors, light counter and splash, I would not paint the cabinets a light color.
May 31, 2013 at 8:20am     
Amy Stanley
I would add black hardware to cabinets and a distressed black finish to your island-
May 31, 2013 at 8:24am   
Amie Horvath
Remember black gets very dirty, very quickly. I can see how black or a bone like color would look nice - I like the color of the backspash idea better than the black - the black sorta disappears and the light color would bring it all together. If you have young kids or messy pets - you may want to go the lighter route.
May 31, 2013 at 8:27am     
mefor
The black would be stunning. I painted some cabinetry in my mothers kitchen years ago, the black doesn't get dirtier than anything else would plus the painted finish is holding up fine. Love oldbobbis suggestion pic. Gorgeous, it will add dimension to your kitchen. People will think you installed a new kitchen, it will be that much of a change
May 31, 2013 at 9:01am     
BELLA VICI
You have a pretty neutral background..Might I suggest you add some color to liven it up through accessories and furniture before painting island and see how you like it? Also, what about putting a light fixture above the island? Here are some color suggestions...
May 31, 2013 at 9:10am     
Pure Home
Yes, you should definitely paint the island if you want to make a statement in your space! There are som any vibrant colors out now days that can take a otherwise plain space, and make it pop! What are the other colors throughout your house? What do you think of a farmhouse green like this?
July 31, 2013 at 10:48am     
Amie Horvath
Did you tackle this project yet? i love to see before and afters.
January 6, 2014 at 8:31am   
eltjen
I decided not to paint anything...my husband didn't like the idea. So I've added a few pops of color with my decor. Nothing too exciting to share though.
January 6, 2014 at 9:14am     
Mid-Century ranch needs some curb appeal
Just replaced the roof on our mid-century California-style...
Hiding the well head and curb appeal please!
This is a lake house. It sits close to the road as...
How to soften the house exterior?
Thinking modern front door & some kind of porch roof...
How to design my powder room
I am designing my pdr room where i am creating the...
I need suggestions to brighten this room, please help! Thanks!
I would appreciate any advise on what to do with this...