Husband says furniture makes room look cluttered?
ladydiana1965
I just purchased sofa and coffee table. Room is limited to arrange any furniture. My husband said the new furniture makes the room look cluttered. I say it looks comfortable.
suzanne_m
Your room is not clutter at all! The furniture is too big. Specially the coffee table.
June 1, 2013 at 11:28AM     
sycophanticpro
I think it looks great! One question though, is the coffee table resting against the sofa or is it just the angle the photo was taken at?
June 1, 2013 at 11:39AM     
Keitha
I don't think the room is cluttered I think it's warm and inviting. The coffee table does seem a little large but I think the small size of your existing rug is making the coffee table look even bigger. Since the rug is throwing the room out of proportion look for a larger one. I also get a little hint from your picture that your window treatments may have a swag valance??? If so, I recommend removing it to simplify the drapes and create a more updated look!
June 1, 2013 at 11:41AM     
kjh72
I agree about the rug or pull it out away from the sofa. I'd also pull the table away too. To me it looks cluttered because there is no space around anything to draw the eye out
June 1, 2013 at 11:47AM     
Artistic Upholstery
HI..I got to assume this is the family room, but is there a formal living room or another gathering space?
June 1, 2013 at 11:54AM     
Judy M
Bigger area carpet, smaller coffee table.
June 1, 2013 at 12:14PM     
sheryl N
The rug is too small, the table is too big. Return the table, go with a smaller square table, maybe an ottoman with a glass on top, that would be ok too, but measure first. You need a more colorful rug one size larger-persian carpet would be beautiful there. Also, some colorful pillows would make the room pop! :-)
June 1, 2013 at 12:30PM     
Mark
How do you sit on the sofa with the coffee table like that? Judy M is correct the rug is too small and even if the coffee table were to be pulled out it still appears to be to large for your sofa.
June 1, 2013 at 12:36PM     
Fred S
For a man's opinion, I like the furniture. If there is enough room in the walkway, pull the table out a bit and loose the rug. When the furniture feels comfortable, find a rug that is the perfect fit or do without. The regular flooring going all the way under everything will un-clutter it and make things feel bigger, just like a wall-hung sink in a small bath.
June 1, 2013 at 12:47PM     
Fred S
I was actually thinking going very minimum on a rug for this particular situation. closer to floor color and just big enough to fit the table on where is feels comfy.
June 1, 2013 at 12:50PM     
ladydiana1965
I have a formal living room in the front of the house, this is the back family room. The coffee table is about a foot and a half away from the couch, the table also lifts on the sofa side for computer/eating. I had to put the rug under the sofa because it keeps sliding on the tile. If I buy a bigger rug this might help.
June 1, 2013 at 2:22PM     
Mark
Pictures are deceiving the coffee table looks much closer in the picture. If you buy a bigger rug it will make a big difference. Your furniture choices are really nice and if the table is functional for you then all the better. Enjoy your room it's lovely !
June 1, 2013 at 2:33PM     
shelleyuk
Another vote for your rug being too small and your coffee table too big. It is way too close to your sofa.
June 1, 2013 at 2:36PM     
dbeeler1
Definitely need a larger rug for the area. Do that first and then re-think the area!
June 1, 2013 at 2:37PM   
Mark
ladydiana 1965 as designers and those who have a passion for design we might not choose your sofa or the large coffee table, but you bought the coffee table to serve a purpose for you and that was to eat on and using the computer on so it doesn't matter what we think as long as you are happy with it. This space you made for your comfort and you seem to be happy with it so enjoy it. With that said just remember you did ask a specific question so people will be honest.
June 1, 2013 at 2:49PM     
arlys baker
A bigger rug yep! Also a little prapika, one or so cushions, would lift if in winter, or a dash of turquise in summer would make that room zing! Note, I only suggest a little, you like me like the neutrals, but if you want to lift your spirits and the room......................................!
June 1, 2013 at 3:09PM     
Genevieve
Return the table and exchange the rug for a larger one , that one is way too small and the table is too big. Please include a picture of the room not a little corner of it ,his will give us more ideas.
June 1, 2013 at 3:25PM     
sharon3986
I like your choices a lot but I think that, in this space, the coffee table is too big and the rug is too small. Maybe you have some alternatives in other rooms that you can swap out? They really are nice pieces.
June 1, 2013 at 3:32PM     
ladydiana1965
Thank you all for the great suggestions, they are all really appreciated. Everyone's opinion is very usefully.
June 1, 2013 at 3:44PM   
Clarke Interiors
Coffee table is too big for sure.
June 1, 2013 at 3:46PM   
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
ladydiana1965, Your husband commended on room looking cluttered I think, because there isn't a lot of space. If there is anyway you can exchange coffee table for glass one, even that would make a difference & open up the space.

I found a lighter, creamy white wood one, with glass top & shelf underneath, in a round style.

It would make space brighter & you would still have functional coffee table. I will try to post.
June 1, 2013 at 4:20PM   
Mark
ladydiana 1965 wants the coffee table because it lifts onto the sofa and she can use it to eat and do her computer work on.
June 1, 2013 at 4:29PM     
ronin consulting
Smaller coffee table, larger and lighter colored rug or Flor squares. To much pattern on the rug. Lighter color drapes. As a guy I see what he means. And get some COLOR in that room!!
June 1, 2013 at 4:30PM     
reading Mark's comment - do you get enough back support for that use???
June 1, 2013 at 4:35PM   
blrussell
I would lose the rug and put rubber furniture cups under the couch. I think that would make it look less cluttered. Coffee table does look too big in the picture but my son had a similar one and he used it quite a lot in the up position (easier to eat off of than leaning down to a normal coffee table.)
June 1, 2013 at 6:04PM     
handymam
How do you sit on the sofa with the table up against it like that? the is only a small part of the sofa front that isn't blocked by it.
June 1, 2013 at 6:16PM   
gotchaz45
I think we need more pictures of the room... If the table is functioning for you then you need to lose the rug. Use rubber cups as suggested or get a good bit larger rug. Unfortunately, I think it needs to be a color that blends better with the floor; I say "unfortunately" because being a family room it is probably gonna get spills. The suggestion to get some pillows on the couch seems like it would make the couch look a little bulkier next to that coffee table which would be a good thing.
June 1, 2013 at 6:56PM     
Post more pictures by commenting on this thread and using the Attach Images button. I bet we can change his mind!
June 1, 2013 at 7:12PM   
Artistic Upholstery
adydiana1965...if the sofa/sectional is sliding then do the following. First, connect the 2 pc sectional if its not already. Second, more importantly, buy the felt pads that go under the legs or rubber cups. this will help your sliding problem.
June 2, 2013 at 10:55AM   
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Please help me with my lighting!
I know, duplicate post, but forgot to add pics and...
How can I love my couch?
We've only had our couch 9 months and I still can't...
Need help with my Kitchen layout
Hi all. My husband and I just recently bought our first...
New home landscaping
Help with new home landscaping. The home is located...