Help! I need help with picking an exterior paint color
warnerdaly
And about 50 other projects!! (Seriously). Inherited this great family cottage 4 years ago and have to rent it out to keep it, so work time is tight, as well as budget. You'll see from pictures this year's project should probably be paint- but maybe people can suggest some that can be done while the workers are there- like i think a little trim between the 2 floors on the outside?? Front section was built in 1902, midsection, 1930s and the back the 70”s so it’s a pretty funky mix. I don’t think I will ever have the money to make it all right, so just trying to love it as it is(almost). I want to stop adding weird additions to it, on the other I am wanting a screened room off the side to act as a dining room we desperately need. But that’s probably question 2.
It was painted green to blend with the tress, but I think maybe grey/ bark colors might be better? Also want to add lattice on the base, was thinking white, but now wondering about a natural cedar, if it grays- not a fan of that red cedar.
opps, sorry this is so long
warnerdaly
The lattice would be under porch and around, that's crawl space. Screened room would be off that small door and window on the side( i'd put a french door there, instead of the two)
June 1, 2013 at 2:41pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
I think you should use darker colors because they will diminish the perception of the shapes, which are frankly a little strange. It might also be good to have three colors because I think that that will help break the building down visually some. I think I would use Color A (dark) for most of the siding, Color B (a somewhat lighter and related color to A) for most of the trim and Color C (bright) for things to which you want to draw attention. You could of course get trickier with it and paint the gables in a fourth color. This seems like a project that merits a little bit of study.
June 1, 2013 at 2:45pm   
warnerdaly
Sorry, if i am really not doing this right and talking too much but i would like to ad i am open to any color suggestions- I saw a great cottage painted a dark apple green with white trim, i would love, but my husband thought our place too choppy to draw attention to. also thought about yellow....
June 1, 2013 at 2:52pm   
warnerdaly
Sorry, i wrote above befor i saw your post -THANK YOU so much for responding. I like what you are saying- will you suggest some colors? I agree about the studing- but just don't think i have the talent to come up with best answer
June 1, 2013 at 2:54pm   
warnerdaly
sits on a stone base and is next to a glen, so lots of natural stone involved
June 1, 2013 at 2:57pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
This house is complicated enough that I think it requires two or three developed schemes. That is really beyond the scope of what I can responsibly do in this forum because it will take a few hours.
June 1, 2013 at 3:10pm   
ijkrien
I like the idea of more than one color. I would go with varying shades of aqua. There is blue based and green based aqua. You'd just have to get sample jars of colors to try. You might try painting poster board each piece in a different color that you may thinking of. I love the porch up front. I would paint the posts & railing & window trim white or a darker shade of the major part of the cottage. The numerous complementing colors of either the blue or green based aqua. The cottage looks very interesting!
March 21, 2014 at 12:13pm   
Christine
I must say that if you let ME AND MINE MOVE IN, I would paint it in exchange for a summer stay. She is a grand old beauty. I would put in a fantastic pop of color like a light blue or aqua or this new color this year by pantone (which I actually like) is this orchid color. You could paint each section 2 shades off of the section before and then tie the whole place in by having one color for all your window trim. Then I think if you can find a rescreener in town and you have your measurements it may be cheaper to have someone do it at their shop and then you tackle the install yourself or they sell these screen systems that work like accordian panels and you can open them up and close them as needed. I used a company a while back and while I don't remember the name you can just google "retractable screens" to come up with a few companies that would do it. Power wash the roof shingles and put out some big hanging plant baskets with trailing plants and plenty of color to accentuate the house. Then paint all the railings on the (stairs?) a bright white. Good luck
March 31, 2014 at 3:18pm   
Kim Walton
I love the aqua suggestions but I think you're right about using a more natural color. Try SW Dorian Gray for the body of house Use SW Dovetail for the gables and lattice (try square lattice or horizontal strips rather than diagonal lattice if possible. White for the trim. Beautiful setting!
April 5, 2014 at 6:56pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have always loved the color combination on this house. While I realize that this example is a stain, I think that you could use a dark mushroom color and get a similar effect. It's the green accents, though, that make it sing. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/8233211794095420/
June 25, 2014 at 1:55pm   
I need help picking a paint color for the exterior of house!?!
I know that we want the trim white and we were looking...
I need help picking exterior paint color
Can you tell me the brand and paints colors on this...
Need help picking exterior paint color - need to replace the yellow
We would like to update the exterior color of our house,...
I need help picking an exterior paint to go with a green roof.
My daughter just bought a house and it has a horrible...
Glass Shelf Nook
Looking for ways to update the nooks on either side...
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...
Mirror Help
I need help accenting a unique chest. I bought a mirror...
Exterior Colors
My parents just put on a new metal roof in "buckskin"...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...