Exterior siding and curb appeal
Barbara Kiely
We live in Northern Ontario where there a lot of dark days. We are planning to re insulate and put new siding on our house. I am looking for suggestions for vinyl siding colours and obviously increasing the curb appeal within budget constraints.
stellar1
Hi! I thought I'd send you these these siding ideas. I think these would look great on your home. I especially like the 2 storey on the left- and I think the roof is a similar color to yours? (Hard to tell from the picture.) I also love the front porch and I think this color and style would suit your home beautifully. The house on the right is just a lovely color combination that makes the house so attractive. I love the cream trim with the sky blue that blends so beautifully together with the siding colour. And the punch up is the orangey tone in the wood door & the chairs. What a statement for the home and a stunning porch to boot. I think this would look good on your home too.
June 2, 2013 at 8:47pm     
stellar1
I love the light colors on the siding of this home- and the orange with the wood door looks awesome. It is curious how the gold shutters blend so creatively with the overall look of the home. Without the shutters this home would be kind of pale, I think. This scheme would work well on your home too.
June 2, 2013 at 9:33pm     
stellar1
Yellow siding options: I much prefer the yellow tone on the left rather than the brighter yellow siding on the house on the right.
June 2, 2013 at 9:51pm     
kathleen MK
Your roof is a warmer brown (at least on my monitor) so I'd go with more earthy warm colors than the cool greys like skies on rainy days. The yellowish siding might work with just some color added to the trim. The shutter are too small so trim the windows like Stellar1's 2nd photo. I'd add bigger shutters on dormer window maybe with a cutout design. Paint the door a bright color matching the upstairs shutters.(Dark Green, terra cotta or rusty red?) I'd paint the railings to match the lattice and trim, White or the door color. Also I would paint he cement foundation the siding color or hide it with evergreen bushes.
June 2, 2013 at 10:12pm     
ncreature
I would lose the silly shutters. They are ridiculously disproportionate to the windows. They look slapped on.
June 2, 2013 at 10:24pm     
houssaon
Your roof looks to be a reddish brown. I would like to see a blue siding with white trim and a dark gray foundation color.
Certainteed, Wilmette, IL Cape Cod Style Home in James Hardie Custom Color Siding, Wilmette, IL Farm house Style Home in James Hardie Siding.

I agree that the shutters add nothing and should be removed. If you have the budget, I would change the steps to front facing and add a gable portico, something like this: Glencoe, IL Colonial Style Home in Artisan Siding & Artisan Trim.

Good luck!
June 2, 2013 at 10:36pm     
bkiely
Folks tell me the shutters are too small. How big should they be?
June 3, 2013 at 3:56am   
Sharon
Ideally the shutters should look as if they could close over the window.
June 3, 2013 at 5:24am     
handymam
You could take down the shutters and put up window baoxes. They would make your house look cuter than it already is! I love your house. It will look great with new siding!
June 3, 2013 at 5:27am     
stellar1
Hi bkiely- I agree with houssaon- I love 2 upper & lower pics on the right hand side that were posted- especially the lower one with the oval portico with the stairs. A beautiful statement. I also love the way the windows are "capped" like a crown with the wider white siding above. A couple of things- I like a classic, clean & timeless look rather than cute and homey. Imho I would never choose window boxes- someone has to plant those boxes & maintain them too. Just not the look and effort I'd be striving for! As for blue... I don't know that I like blue, it looks great in these photos but next to your neighbors it may be too stark, and I think I'd tire of the color very quickly. Whatever your choose, you must love for a long, long time. Houssaon, in your opinion, what other siding colors might you recommend other than blue for bkiely's home?
June 3, 2013 at 7:39am     
bkiely
Anybody have suggestions for other colours? I think the blues are beautiful but not on this house. I would consider putting the entry to the front with a portico. I do not think the present shutters are a huge issue . I will have white trim and maize coloured siding...Maybe? What colour would you paint the shutters and the door?
Keep the suggestions coming....I appreciate it!,,,
June 3, 2013 at 4:02pm   
Shutters….gone:>). I have become the shutter police. Who puts a cottage shutter on a Craftsman house? Grrrrr.
Or a lattice?

Grumpy me, I love your house.

Say "craftsman".

Elgin
Spring Island Home Street view with restored porch
June 3, 2013 at 4:08pm     
houssaon
This color would look good with the roof: Addition & Exterior Material Replacement

This roof looks very close to yours and I love this mid-tone gray brown: Exterior - Front Notice how they took off the shutters in the redo.

This two tone would look great with white on your upper story: Beachfront Refuge
June 3, 2013 at 4:14pm     
felixgrantham
I think you would be fine with any of the colors except the bright yellow (2nd stellar) color.
Please, paint the lattice under the front porch the same dark color as the railing! It is not a feature to be highlighted by white paint. (Not specific as I recognize porch/foundation may get a new color to correspond w/ new siding). Paint upper gutters the same dark color as the porch & downspouts should be painted to match the new siding.
June 3, 2013 at 4:14pm     
bkiely
Great ideas for colour....any suggestions for something lighter.
I envisioned something that may perceived as cheerful. I like the idea two tones. Any suggestions....all will be appreciated. Thanks so far!
June 3, 2013 at 4:27pm   
houssaon
Here is a mock-up of the colors from the Beachfront Refuge.
June 3, 2013 at 4:36pm     
Barbara Kiely
Thanks houssaon! You have lots of good ideas!
I think these colours are too close to what I already have.
June 3, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Barbara Kiely
I love the portico in the bottom right blue house houssaon posted and I love the artisan trim as well. I think the colour is too dark however. Where would I be able to access the plan to build that portico keeping in mind I live.in a limited product area ie la little mining town in Northern Ontario?Where would I find the dimensions of it?
Thank you for all your great input folks!
June 4, 2013 at 1:36pm   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Such a cute house1
June 4, 2013 at 1:43pm   
stellar1
Hi Barbara, who's the best builder in town? Who did the work on your best friend Marjorie's house- you know that is "quality" over "cookie cutter/ run of the mill", correct? I would approach the best builder or design carpenter/deck/builder you can find in town/area & ask their "advice" about a porch for your house. If you find you "like" the ideas they give, then think about asking them to come back with a design/drawing/concept/quote for your porch. While you may pay more for custom, you will be less likely to be disappointed with your decision because it will be tailor made for the scale and design features of your home. I wouldn't consider buying a "kit" for your porch as I think those would possibly be: a) of a size disproportionate to the scale of your house, b) hard to find with just the right design features that you deem ideal and c) the materials will not stand up over the long term. You will not want to put some serious money into a kit type porch only to be disappointed over the longer term because even pre-designed kits are not inexpensive- especially if labor costs are involved to build it. I fear buyer's regret big time if you try the kit route... that would be very disappointing, for sure.
June 4, 2013 at 7:21pm   
stellar1
You could show the photo of that house with the porch you like above, to the builder of your choice and ask them about having it built for your home- and see what they say....
June 4, 2013 at 7:34pm     
stellar1
Hi Barb,

Here's an idea for floating shelves to display those smaller treasures without having a cabinet that will take up floor space.
November 2, 2013 at 1:49pm   
stellar1
Sorry, I didn't realize that when I pressed go with the picture I wouldn't be able to add more comments.

Here's an idea... In the photo, the shelves on the right hand side of the fireplace are not a bookcase or a display cabinet. They are floating shelves which can be placed anywhere on any wall in any room. I thought this idea was pretty "neat"- and I thought that perhaps you might want to consider the idea of using a shelf (or shelves) like this to display some of your smaller treasures. The shelves would eliminate the problem of using a display unit that would take up floor space and would still allow for eye level viewing and access for folks to see them easily. If this kind of shelf/shelves were used, I am sure you could design an area that would be pleasing to the eye and not look "junky" when items are displayed. What I like about these shelves is that they are totally accessible for cleaning, arranging, viewing and are modern looking - and don't take up floor space.

Ikea sells these in different lengths and a variety of colors. The product is called “Lack” and you can find out more about available colors and shelf lengths here:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60103750/
November 2, 2013 at 1:52pm   
How about BM Van Courtland blue, with bright white trim.

No shutters on your Craftsman.

November 2, 2013 at 1:54pm   
jenniferdietrich
Look at the Foundry product line.
Your house could handle being resided entirely in a vinyl shake.
In the Foundry brochure - and likely on their site, there is a Colombia. Red shake colored house with wide white trim. Very crips looking.
November 2, 2013 at 4:59pm   
Sue Geddes
A few different ones.
November 2, 2013 at 7:18pm   
Sue Geddes
Two more.
November 2, 2013 at 7:19pm   
chookchook2
Go to Pantone 2014 colour family for up to the minute colour ideas.
November 2, 2013 at 7:59pm   
exterior siding color and curb appeal
We are getting ready to side our house but can't decide...
exterior siding color and curb appeal
Garage door and windows are a clay color. the bottom...
exterior siding color and curb appeal
Our house needs siding but can't decide on color. ...
Exterior siding trim needs some spice for curb appeal
We are married to a brown roof, garage door, and gutters....
How to add curb appeal to one side of a paired home
Interested in hearing ideas on how to add curb appeal...
Need help with multi purpose room furniture
I am currently trying to find a company who will construct...
Kitchen granite
My wife and I are doing a new build. We are roof tight....
paint advice pls!
I'm renovating a large house and want to use shades...
What to pair (colour wise) with this artwork?
I have this artwork hanging above my couch in our living...
Rug for bedroom
Hi, I have a 10x10 bedroom with wood floors and...