Steam Shower feedback, please
toabs
I need some advice on a custom-built steam shower versus one of those all-in-one (brand Ariel, perhaps) steam showers. We are converting a large (24' x 24') room into a master suite. We'll be building a new bathroom, so we have the freedom to make any kind of shower we like. I'd like to stay in the $20,000 area for all the construction, etc, so I'm thinking that custom-building a steam room would be too much. I'm also undecided about what we would make it out of. Tile is too pricey and high-maintenace. Is there anything cheaper that we could use but still look nice? An easy solution would be one of those all-in-one steam showers for about $4000 to $5000. I do like the look of them, but we live in a rural area and I'm having trouble finding one to look at in person. I'm afraid to order one and find out it's no better than one of those fiberglass modular showers. Does anyone have one? I'd really appreciate any feedback you could give me. Thanks!
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi there, were you ever able to make a decision? I personally have never used this type of shower, but it looks awesome!
0 Likes   June 11, 2013 at 8:47AM
toabs
No decision yet. I'm having a horrible time ! :) The info on the all-in-one units seems non-existent. They look wonderful, but am just worried about the quality and post-purchase support. A custom steam room seems out of budget, so will have to settle for a boring old shower unless I can get the courage to order one of these. Thanks for checking in!
1 Like   June 16, 2013 at 7:14AM
Ferguson Kitchen, Bath and Lighting Gallery
Toabs,

I to love the time capsule look however as a kitchen and bath specialist, I've never seen on in person.. Because I've never sold one before I can't really comment on them except..

*They are pre fabricated (not specifically designed for your dimensions)

*comes in pieces.. Usually some of which may not fit through standard door openings.

*usually sold online (sometimes that speaks to the customer service you will receive down the road)

----

As for the custom route

* I estimate you may be spending around $3000 just for the steam system alone.

* Shower prices depend on how much sq ft of glass your looking to use http://schickershowerdoors.com/ ..

* then you need a solid surface for your walls and floors (tile, porcelain. This quote will need to come from your local tile guy.

** Understanding that this will be the more expensive route to take, I like it because it gives you the ability to add a personal touch to your Oasis. By going custom you will also be supported by local professionals that will assist you before and after the project. Your shower door will be warrantied by the installer.. Your steam generator by the company supplying it, and the tile you choose can coordinate and become one with your existing design.

Hope this helps,

Brandon
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 10:57AM
ruthmand
Our neighbors have one. It is prefab, rectangular (not like above), and they installed it themselves. They have had it for at least 5 years now and love it. Since it was put in existing bathroom they did have to do some retro fitting around it but it didn't seem to be a big problem. Hope that helps.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 11:14AM
toabs
Thanks, Brandon and Ruthmand! Ruthmand, do you happen to know what brand your neighbors have? Your comment makes me feel a lot more courageous!
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 12:22PM
ruthmand
I will check with them and let you know.
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 3:06PM
toabs
0 Likes   June 16, 2013 at 3:33PM
toabs
So, it is now a year later, and I've decided to update this discussion and hopefully help some others. We did get a steam shower similar to the picture I posted, and have been using it almost one year now. I ordered it through Menards and they didn't have that exact model pictured. I spent a little extra going through Menards, but I wanted the security of having them behind the product in case it was a total disaster. We made some alterations, redid the drain, replaced one really cheap fixture that broke almost immediately.... well, you get the idea. It wasn't a project for a beginner. You need an electrician to hook up the 220, and a plumber to really get this installed right. All that said, I'd still buy one again. We love it. The shower is terrific alone, and to be able to steam on some of those horrid January nights we had here in the Midwest last winter was heavenly. Except for the one fixture, we haven't had any issues with it. If anyone is thinking of buying one of these and would like to know more about what we changed and the installation process, I can give you more detail and pictures to help you. Happy showering!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 6:00PM
kelray1513
Which brand did you buy?
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 7:18PM
kelray1513
We are remodeling our bathrooms and I am putting in a custom steam bath in our room that i am very excited about. However, after having just returned from a family vacation to an resort with a spa, my teenagers are loving the steam room that they had there. So in order to keep them out of my masterbath, i am considering putting one of this units in their bathroom but have been very confused about which manufactures have units free of leaks, rusts, and smells. would love to know which units work well.
0 Likes   July 10, 2014 at 7:21PM
toabs
We got an Ariel. In what little info I could find out about the different brands, their name seemed to come out on top. Now, I have never used a real steam room, so I don't know how it would compare, but I can't imagine your teens not loving the look of one of these! Even after a year, it's still fun. No leaks at all, I don't think there's anything in there that could rust, and so far the only smell is whatever oil you choose to put in the dispenser (we love peppermint).
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 4:07AM
Bob Staffier
Hi toabs. I'm struggling with the same decision you did. I'm looking at an Ariel similar to the one above. Seems you had a good experience. Can you comment more on the quality of the shower? Are the fixtures plastic or some type of metal? Any other thoughts as to quality?
0 Likes   October 22, 2014 at 2:48PM
toabs
Bob,
So far except for that one plastic part that we replaced, the quality has been excellent. All the other fixtures are metal and once we made our initial modifications, we haven't done anything else in the past year to it. My husband and I still step out after showering and say, "Man, I love that thing!" Do you know where you would order yours from?
0 Likes   October 22, 2014 at 4:40PM
Bob Staffier
Thanks! I was looking at a few places online. The only local place I see it is Home Depot. I may buy it there so I have a place to go in case I have issues. You've convinced me to go for it.
0 Likes   October 22, 2014 at 6:19PM
Bob Staffier
And I forgot to ask - what were the modifications you made besides the drain?

Thanks.
0 Likes   October 22, 2014 at 6:24PM
Steam system for shower question please.
Hi. I have a question about the steam systems that...
glaaat
Please tell me about the Window in the steam shower
I'm looking to do a very similarly sized steam shower....
thochrad
Can you please tell me if this Is a steam shower?
If so, I was told marble was not to be used in a steam...
sheehynan
Where did you locate the steam machine for the steam shower?
I understand that they can require service from time...
Doug Early
Help my kitchen
Should I paint the cabinet or keep them
4tocome
decorate dining room
I need draping ideas and color. I also would appreciate...
crystalb642
decorate dining room
crystalb642
Contractors, Plumbers - Please help with my water heater fan noise!
I just moved into a new home - new construction. The...
doctornancy
2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep