Off white kitchen cabinets- to glaze or not to glaze?
drbabytooth
The painter is doing to final color coat of White Dove on my cabinets this week. We originally wanted a glaze but now my husband is questioning this. He thinks it looks dirty and I think it will accent the cabinets and hide dirt. What do you think? Anyone with experience with white cabinets?
giniaginia
Are you really into 1990's country? Then glaze. It will look dirty and old. If that's what you're going for. And it will hide the dirt. Yup, white cabinets are high maintenance...but they are fresh and clean:)
June 2, 2013 at 3:05PM     
Rockin' Fine Finish
im not a big fan of glazes but it can be done well to get an old world look
June 2, 2013 at 3:06PM     
I'm not a fan of glazes, and white dove is so beautiful and classic on its own that I'd keep your cabinets just as they are without it.
June 2, 2013 at 3:12PM     
Interiors International, Inc.
Not a big fan of glaze either but I have used them for clients. It can be done without looking dated.
June 2, 2013 at 3:23PM     
drbabytooth
Thanks! I appreciate your input (but husband appreciates it even more!). He says he can always clean off the dirt but not the glaze. We are actually going for a classic look so keeping it simple might be best
June 2, 2013 at 6:20PM     
May I add that I've lived in houses with either white or ivory (unglazed) kitchen cabinets for the last 20 years and never found them a problem to keep clean.
June 2, 2013 at 6:28PM     
No glaze…white dove is beautiful. I honestly do not know why glaze became so popular in the U S. We do not have French kitchens. :>)

White Dove is not an off-white…look s great with blue.
June 2, 2013 at 6:32PM     
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Need a picture - does your cabinets have detail molding on them?
June 2, 2013 at 6:38PM   
Eagledzines
That was my question too Kelli. It all depends on the surroundings, the door style, the color of the glaze and how heavy it is applied. I wouldn't use a glaze to hide dirt though I would use it if the styling called for it. I've had a white kitchen for 20 years and have loved it. I have not found it difficult to keep clean.
June 2, 2013 at 6:49PM     
Sharyn
I'd opt for the clean white. Glaze on white looks dirty to me, and streaky if not done right. But...it also depends on your cabinet type. If it is a shaker type, then no glaze but if it is more ornate, then the glaze will stick n the details and look ok. Post a pic if you can.
June 2, 2013 at 6:57PM     
drbabytooth
Here are some pics of the cabinet doors. The island and stand alone pantry are a dark stained cherry-almost a walnut color. The perimeter cabinets are the BM White Dove with black pearl granite. The island granite is lighter and is called Olympus Sparta. The pictures only show the doors with white primer on them
June 3, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Kelli Kaufer Designs
The cabinets are going to beautiful with those countertops! I would do a glaze over them, it dulls the white a bit and adds more depth and brings out the detail on the cabinets.
June 3, 2013 at 10:39AM     
Eagledzines
Agreed. Get a sample door with the glaze. I'd tie it in to the browns in the white granite to pull everything together.
June 3, 2013 at 4:02PM     
Eagledzines
I would also add that a stark white cabinet may not work with the white granite. An slight shade may work better a notch or two lighter than the white in the granite.
June 4, 2013 at 2:31AM     
dfosrunnalls
I just did my cabinets over with the glaze. I was afraid at first but very happy with my decision .. I've got so many compliments!!! Good luck!!
June 4, 2013 at 2:53AM     
My kitchen cabinets will be off white, white with an oatmeal glaze.
My builder is advising to paint all the trim bright...
Kitchen cabinets with off white stain and espresso glaze
What is your thought on off white stained and espresso...
To glaze or not to glaze off white cabinets
Can't make up my mind . Some say that they will look...
need ideas of how to distress yellow pine floors with a heavy roller
My hardwood floor installers has a 150# roller that...
Lighting for closet
Building a 9'2" x 11'6" walk through closet. Considering...
Need help for master bath
I have a very high tech looking tub, 40+ jets, seats...
Wallpaper for powder room
I am trying to decide between these two wallpapers...
Exterior - facade / paint
Hi all, Dilemma- change facade? We have completed internal...