Help with living room.
susiesqs
I live in a craftsman-ish farmhouse and I am having trouble with the living room. I'm not really looking to cover the windows because of the beautiful views of the surrounding woods and it lets in lots of light, but I'm open to suggestions and ideas. What I'd like are ideas on what to do on either side of the fireplace. I was thinking of putting 2 book shelves or media console or something similar and putting the tv on one. Right now I'm using an old dresser. The tv going in there will be slightly larger. Also how large should the area rug be? Mine is a bit small I think for the room. Thanks in advance for the ideas :)
the essentials inside
Hi susiesqs.

Love the dog & cat!

Can you post 2 more views, taking 1 picture with your back to the clock & 1 picture with your back to the fireplace?

My first thought is to suggest you use the whole space rather than dividing it up between the seating area & the piano space. Is there a reason you decided to separate the spaces like they are? Do you want to keep that separation?

Lyvonne
June 3, 2013 at 8:41am     
Meagan Boeff
I live in a craftsman bungalow and understand the challenges of few wall spaces, fireplaces and low windows. It seems that the reason for placing the TV and piano where they are is because there is simply no other available wall space, yes?

The layout seems pretty good, but I don't like the TV and dresser blocking the window. So it's really that alcove that needs the work. If you make built-ins on either side of the fireplace, you'll sacrifice the windows again. Have you tried moving the piano to the alcove on the right of the fireplace (against the wall) and moving the TV above fireplace?
June 3, 2013 at 9:01am     
susiesqs
Hi Lyvonne,
Thanks! They are great but always seem to get in front of the camera when I take photos. Lol.
I have the piano on that wall bc it's the only wall large enough to put it against. I posted two more photos to show you the views. The only reason I didn't put the piano next to the fireplace is that it would seem too cluttered I think.

Meagan, you're right about not enough wall space. We thought about putting the TV above the fireplace but it really does get very hot when the fireplace is on ( its gas). The dresser will go when I can find a low shelf to put the TV on...I think. I'm not sure. (I'm sure about the dresser being gone, just not about what will takes its place) ha ha.
June 3, 2013 at 6:31pm     
maxdc
Can you put the TV on the wall where the small white pot with plant and the framed art work is, perpendicular to where the TV is now? You could hang the TV on the wall and place a small scaled low console beneath it. It is a shame to block those pretty windows.
June 3, 2013 at 6:36pm     
You have beautiful windows and in order to better see the one to the right of the fireplace, I would move the TV to the wall to the right of that window where you have the two pictures hanging. A low console would be placed under the TV which would be mounted on an articulating arm that would swing out from the wall as needed for viewing.

The trunk that is between the fireplace and the sofa could be moved elsewhere and an actual coffee table could then be placed in front of the sofa. I would turn the rug so that it runs lengthwise in front of the sofa. Maybe the trunk would be what is placed under the TV, though you might prefer a media center to hold other equipment.
June 3, 2013 at 6:46pm     
susiesqs
We did think about putting a TV on a swing arm on that wall so that if we watch TV we could angle it towards the couch and chair and a half. But then got feedback from some relatives that it would look weird. But I might rethink that.
June 3, 2013 at 6:57pm   
susiesqs
I have thought about getting an actual coffee table and moving the trunk elsewhere. How large a rug would you recommend? The one I have is 5x7 and it seems small for the area.
June 3, 2013 at 6:59pm   
I'm not related, but I am a professional interior designer. It will not look weird when it's against the wall and it will look quite miraculous when it's pulled out to watch. I'm glad you're willing to rethink it.
June 3, 2013 at 7:00pm     
Try an 8 x 10' rug. Take one out on approval to check it out.
June 3, 2013 at 7:01pm     
susiesqs
I will at least try it and see how it looks. I'd also like to get a larger rug so 8x10 seems reasonable. That sitting area looks smaller than what the picture shows. The chair and a half is huge and had I known how much space the ottoman would take up, I would not have bought it. But anyway, I'd like for the rug to anchor the furniture at least.
June 3, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Would the family riot if you moved the chair and a half and ottoman to the piano area and moved the chair that is there to the location near the fireplace?
June 3, 2013 at 7:14pm     
susiesqs
Ha ha! They might! ;)
But I did talk about moving the chair and a half to another room altogether and moving the recliner in the corner over by the couch instead. I just need to find another place for the scratching post and dogs toys. :)

Thank you Carolyn and everyone else for your suggestions- I really do appreciate them.
June 3, 2013 at 7:18pm   
bgal231
If you want to move the TV to the wall with the two pictures but don't want it mounted on a swinging arm, you can place it diagonally/at an angle on a lower console or cabinet. I've done that in my home in a corner/nook. The trick is to have a base that is at least as deep or wide as the TV on an angle so that it doesn't overhang the cabinet.
June 3, 2013 at 7:35pm   
susiesqs
Can you show me a photo of what you mean?
June 3, 2013 at 7:38pm   
The scratching post can hide behind a chair that's in a corner. Dog toys...well, the dog will hide those, won't he?
June 3, 2013 at 7:55pm     
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...
Can anyone help me find this color?
I have been looking for a color like this for my living...
Is this possible? - TINY 2/1 condo...NEED another 1/2 bath!!
I've been trying to figure out HOW we could possibly...
Need a new couch for this living room!
Purchasing a new couch- thinking dark grey microsuede...
Hardwood floor - Brackish Stain?
Hello, I'm having trouble deciding the stain for our...