Please help my OH SO BORING kitchen!
Lia
Hello All!
Can you please help me pick a nice shade of gray for my kitchen walls? The cabinet is a cherry wood and is a medium stain, kasmir granite and stone tiles. Its pretty dark in there too.. just cant find the right color..
vjs12
What color are the walls in the picture? I love the granite and cabinets. I like it the way it is. Maybe put some accent rugs on the floor to break up the dark floor with dark cabinet look.
June 2, 2013 at 5:54pm        Thanked by Lia
andradetea
My first thought is warm/taupe-like gray. You can see what it would look like if you go to Sherwin Williams' website.
June 2, 2013 at 6:14pm        Thanked by Lia
onthefence
Whatever you do, please try to get tester pots and sample them first. I recall a few months ago a poster with cabinets approximately the same color as yours. She wanted a gray color and the tone of the cabinets kept making her gray read blue when on the walls.

Websites are great -- but a color on a website is likely to look radically different on your wall.
June 2, 2013 at 6:17pm        Thanked by Lia
ruthmand
And gray is not boring???
June 2, 2013 at 6:21pm        Thanked by Lia
mrscee
apple green like the bowl...you would be amazed at the LIFE that it brings in...I did my dining room aspargus green and it brought it to life...add several plants and some artificial fruit....
June 2, 2013 at 6:28pm        Thanked by Lia
elklaker
Oh ruthmand, thank you! I was just thinking that there is a whole spectrum of color. Why is it that grey seems to be what many think is the be-all and end-all. No offense intended but, please consider the infinite other colors that the world has to offer.
mrscee
your counter tops are too empty and hotel suite looking...looks like no one lives there...some green glass bottles, glass canisters with granola, beans, pasta in colors, and plates on stands, etc...even some cookbooks, a small lamp makes a kitchen very cozy, also
June 2, 2013 at 6:30pm        Thanked by Lia
Kelli Kaufer Designs
It is a beautiful kitchen, add some accessories and your good to go!
June 2, 2013 at 6:36pm        Thanked by Lia
Lia
thank you all for your input! I appreciate it!
June 4, 2013 at 5:56pm   
Theresa Lorenzetti
If you're going to do grey I suggest a light pearly grey
June 6, 2013 at 10:28am        Thanked by Lia
pamelava
how much $ are you willing to throw at this? You could put up a back-painted glass backsplash with a punchy color and install over your existing tile, as a start, before a total re-do of your cabinet faces.
June 6, 2013 at 10:35am      Thanked by Lia
A.D.I. Electric
Your cabinets are a very rich dark color...... Possibly installin gsome more LED lights will brighten up the room and show off them the beautiful details in the craftmanship.
June 6, 2013 at 10:40am        Thanked by Lia
dp31
What about BM's Revere Pewter or Litchfield Gray (taupy gray so they will go well the cherry cabinets and backsplash). A similar lighter version to brighten up - BM's Classic Gray has a "hint of taupe". Alternatively BM's Owl Gray or lighter version Intense White are other options - providing the veining in the Kashmir matches, but they might read too "blue" for the cabinets and backsplash...But I agree with Kelli, it's beautiful already, just needs some accessories....
June 6, 2013 at 10:47am        Thanked by Lia
janiceanne
I think it looks great just go out and buy a beautiful large arrangement for the island in mauve's and greens, it will go great with the colour scheme you have,as well a nice runner on the floor in the same colours. a large fruit bowl with green apples on another counter. I really think your just lacking acessories to bring it all together! Hope this is helpfull.
June 6, 2013 at 11:10am        Thanked by Lia
Designed to the T
It is beautiful, I would get a couple plants an a couple framed photos am that is it. So rich an gorgeous
June 6, 2013 at 5:37pm        Thanked by Lia
baldo2797
This kitchen is so not boring I find it really nice and modern
June 6, 2013 at 6:44pm        Thanked by Lia
Lia
You guys have been so helpful, thank you for your input!!!
June 7, 2013 at 6:23am   
Kim D
Green is a tough wall color. I once had a green dining room; I loved the color in the morning but by evening it was a ugly pea soup green. Color changed with the light of day finally had to give in and go with a different color all together and get the green in with accessories.
June 7, 2013 at 6:54am        Thanked by Lia
dslyder
Can't tell...do you have above cabinet lighting? Maybe accessorize on top of cabinets to bring the eye up? Don't over do it though. Perhaps a large decorative plate and awesome greens. Keep it balanced. On your counter tops add a cookbook propped up on an easel. You have a beautiful kitchen! You simply need 'on trend' accessories. Your wall color looks "spot on" with your countertops.Be so proud of what you have here s it just needs a tweak!
June 7, 2013 at 6:56am        Thanked by Lia
anne dee
It appears from your pic that you have a beautiful and efficient kitchen environment!
June 7, 2013 at 7:08am        Thanked by Lia
KBDesign
The flooring finish is too similar to the cabinet finish and not providing enough contrast for them to complement each other make the cabinets pop a bit. I like the idea of some throw rugs, maybe something with a bold Morrocan red. Adding some red accessories would also add interest.
June 7, 2013 at 7:20am        Thanked by Lia
Nancy Hehmann
my Kashmir granite has a touch of blue. if yours does perhaps that could be your accesory color. Mine is in a BR and I used white walls and some great blue towels. I love love your kitchen. juust add more color via acessories!
June 7, 2013 at 7:29am        Thanked by Lia
Lonnie Clackum
Remember, a room is only boring because it lacks contrast. A bright up-light along the top center of each cabinet would help alleviate the darkness in the kitchen in addition to painting the drywall using a light tone color in the greens, oranges, yellows, or a faux finish combining these. This would give a nice color contrast behind the dark cherry cabinets. Upgrading the cabinet hardware to a polished brass would also help give contrast against the dark cabinets and add a touch of formal elegance as well.
June 7, 2013 at 7:39am        Thanked by Lia
Lia
Thank you for all of your ideas!
June 7, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Help! The back of my house is oh-so-boring
Hey Houzzers - Here's the back of my house in North...
Please help my kitchen...lighting, counters, floors, oh my!
Unfortunately, we had water damage to our kitchen ceiling...
HELP~ My house is flat, flat flat. oh, and boring...
Should I add a balcony to the entrance or would paint,...
Please help!! Small dated kitchen Oh my!
Small kitchen original cabinets, etc. Tried to photograph...
Master Bath with NO storage!!??!
We just bought a new house and have a lovely master...
Firday Morning Poll... Thoughts on sofas with attached platforms
First off I would like to state this is a poll to get...
Guests
Hi Guys, My family and some friends with children...
how to install stone over brick fireplace
I am sick of looking at my standard fireplace and want...
Redoing Fireplace - problem hiding electrical.
Going to remove the niche - build a straight box around...