What should I use as a backsplash?
Nicole
I am unsure as to what type of backsplash to use. My granite is very busy so I was think glass tiles in a solid color. Do you think subway tiles in 3x6 or linear solid pattern or smaller/longer subway? What color? Thanks. I am so unsure.
Off white subway tiles in a matte finish.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:45PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I like the rectangle glass/stone tiles! pulls all of the colors together. The one on the right I think, can't see too much of it, looks like it has lighter tones than the other one. Beautiful start!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:46PM
mefor
Not one of the dark ones, unless kitchen is much brighter than pictures are showing. What kind and color is floor? Walls?
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:47PM
Nicole
I have an off-white posted. I think it looks to stark.i was thinking the one all the way to the right, but I can't quite place what it is I don't like. Thanks for the input.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:48PM
Nicole
The walls will be painted Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. The floor is white oak with a natural stain. The electrician has to finish lights and will be adding lights to the cabinets as well.
I plan on getting some tan. glass subway samples tomorrow and more browns in different sizes. I bought the glass mosaic tiles but think they are too busy.
Thank you for all your responses. I love this site.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:54PM
mefor
I like the lighter tan/ taupe colors or a light cocoa color. Definitely think the others are too busy. Agree with judyg about matte finish or at least lower shine, gloss would also make it look a little busy with all the reflections.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:58PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
the one on the far left or the two on the far right - the first one standing up is too dark. Can remove that one and take another photo with the other 3?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:58PM
mefor
I love this site too :)
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 6:58PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I love the glass mosaic tiles - I don't think they are too busy - remember the countertops are horizontal, you don't see them too much in the space. The cabinets and backsplash is what you will see and the backsplash is only 18" high. Just keep that in mind. I think it will look stunning, the subway tile is a bit flat and dull.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:00PM
pattyboone
I like contrast in kitchens. I think if you go with one of the darker colors your kitchen will be to dark. Plus there won't be enough contrast with the cabinets. I think you should go with a lighter option. Subway tiles are a great choice. I like the far left or off-white options.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:00PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Here is a pic of darker cabinets with the rectangle glass stone tiles. Your kitchen cabinets and countertop gives a more modern flair than the traditional style of the subway tiles.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:09PM
printesa
I think the first one works best (taupe/tan). Your cabinets are dark already. If you use the darker tile, I think it would just blend with the cabinets and make it look like one big cherry dark wall. The mosaic are a bit much. The countertop has enough movement.If you want, you could use something with a bit of texture, but still monochromatic.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:14PM
mefor
I think the cabinets are a bit more traditional
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:14PM
Nicole
I am not home. I just posted pics I had taken earlier. I agree that the subway tile seems to not work in this kitchen. My budget is limited, but my dream kitchen will have them along with white cabinets. :-) I was thinking the mosaic style but in a solid color. What do you think? Thank you all so much. This was the first time I posted. I also just posted a pic of my daughter's room that I had painted and I hate it. I have gotten some great feedback on here. I was going to re paint it but I am going to look into some of the suggestions. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:19PM
Eagledzines
If you go with subway tiles, I'd suggest picking up the lighter color in the granite. This picture shows small variation tile to tile.
Kitchen Remodel

Here are some pictures showing similar style and color of your cabinets and countertop.
DeMiguel
Cannes Dr
Snell Kitchen 7
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:22PM
camillealbert
Subway tile definitely. In the lighter color. The glass tile clash with the counter top big time, just too busy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:28PM
Nicole
What about stone subway tiles? In hindsight, I wish I had gone with a different counter. I really don't prefer a traditional look but I agree the glass seems to not work.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:34PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Sorry, but the mosaic glass is so much more youthful and fun.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:37PM
mefor
Not if it has a lot of pattern or veining (movement). Perhaps tumbled glass in subway size, one color? The sheen is very flat but interesting with sort of roughed up edges.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:37PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Nicole, can you post the pictures of the 2 lightest glass mosaics with your countertops and a bit of the cabinets with it?
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:39PM
mefor
Kelli Kaufer Designs, I agree they're more youthful and fun, just not for this particular kitchen or countertop. When you're standing in kitchen or working at counter that would be a whole lot of busy pattern.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:40PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
mforr - Sorry, I disagree.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:41PM
Nicole
Kelli, I agree. I wish I could start over lol. I would not choose this counter. I am having such a hard time choosing.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:43PM
camillealbert
So true. Less is more in this case.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:44PM
camillealbert
Youthful and fun doesn't work if it gives you a headache !!!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:45PM
Eagledzines
Yes on the stone.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:45PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Nicole, You don't need to start over, the cabinets are beautiful as well as the countertops! I feel the subway tile is way too dull in the space - If you can find light enough mosaic tiles that has the countertops colors in it, it will work!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:45PM
mefor
How about something like these, in the matte finish? They aren't a typical subway size, and there won't be too many grout lines to make it busy. It's also a more modern and yes, youthful and fun,kind of look. Compromise?
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:49PM
mefor
Pic
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:50PM
Nicole
I am not home. I will post more pics tomorrow after I get some more samples. The mosaic is too busy for me. It would bother me. I want a solid color, but not sure what type of material not the size. Thank you all.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:50PM
Nicole
mforr- I was planning to get samples of this style. I like the one color against my busy granite. I just am not sure if subway tile is the right style for my kitchen although I love it.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:52PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Nicole - I'm not giving up - LOVE this! Youthful, attitude, a bit masculine and classy.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:54PM
mefor
This longer size might suit you a bit better. Maybe you could ask for a few tiles in same color so you get idea how it looks in a row and stacked on top of each other. I like most of the colors they're showing, I'm sure one of them may be the "the one". You'll know it when you see it
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:56PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Just a few more...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:06PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
and one more - I'll stop :)
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:07PM
Ann
I definitely think a solid like a subway, but not the colors you have pictured. The first is the best of your group, but I'd go lighter - not as light as the 2nd and 4th. Both of those look quite white. A solid stone would be fine too if it was just the right color. I really like the granite! Keep posting samples - you're on the right track (solid color) and the perfect color will show up :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:10PM
darlenerunner
IMHO I think that the glass mosaic tile will be quickly dated, remember when... Go for something more subtle, you can always use accessories to do the trendy stuff. If you really like the glass , do the solid subway tiles.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:11PM
Nicole
Thanks Kelli but my mind would not be able to handle it. The lat pic it works the best because the counter is solid. It is just too busy for my taste. My mind seriously can't handle it. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:11PM
Nicole
I love the mosaics though and am thinking of putting them in the bathroom somehow. I will post soon for suggestions :-)
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:12PM
Ann
Nicole - I completely agree about Kelli's pictures. The last picture works very well because of the solid counter. Your instincts are right to go with a solid.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:15PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Good luck with your project. Too bad I couldn't sell you on it - It is about creating a space that says you and what you are comfortable with it. So many people play it 'safe' and need someone to tell them to go for it. I have been on houzz for quite a while and don't like to toot my horn. have never wrote this - but, I have designed over 100 kitchens for television (behind the scenes designer) for HGTV and DIY shows, actually have 15 shows I designed for airing this week.
I say go for it but in the end, you need to love the space. Keep us posted! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:19PM
onthefence
I think the glass subway tile that mforr pictured is gorgeous. If you could find a tile just a shade or two lighter than the far left tile in your first photo I think that would be perfect! It would give you just enough shine so it wouldn't be drowned out by the granite but you wouldn't have competing patterns.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:21PM
onthefence
Oh and Nicole, NO need to have 2nd thoughts about starting over! Your granite is absolutely beautiful. You just haven't found the right shade and sheen for your backsplash..... yet ;-)

Keep in mind too there are solid color tiles other than the traditional brick subway. I've seen some done in a pencil or long strip tile and a couple photos of ones done in random heights. You still get the visual interest without the pattern and color change.

Here's a photo of a random pencil tile.

7 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:29PM
pjweiss
What color is the granite? Is it Keywest Gold? I am having the same problem.
    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
pjweiss
My cabinets are white and my island is expresso. Your granite looks a little bit golder than mine. I may go with a bone colored subway tile.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 8:53PM
bluvelvet222
Your granite and cabinets are beautiful and good choices. A bone subway tile should pull it all together for you. Please post pics of your finished project which you will enjoy for years to come.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 2:37AM
stephmorris123
I like the light one.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:11PM
stephmorris123
We are also looking into backsplash. I like the light tan subway tile. I agree the glass tile with your countertop is too busy. We are working with almost the same countertop. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:19PM
Nicole
The granite is Neptuno Bourdeux
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 4:59AM
Nicole
@onthefence-that is what I was thinking of using. Going to try to get a sample this week.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 5:00AM
Nicole
So what do you think? Sizes, style and color? Which one? Thanks.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:50PM
Ann
I like far left and far right. What is your floor, maybe you've already said, but I've forgotten?
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:15PM
Nicole
More views
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:16PM
Nicole
Here is the only floor pic I have.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:17PM
Ann
Oh never mind, I see from a post above that it's oak. I think far right is my favorite.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:29PM
Ann
Sorry we overlapped posts. Yes I still like what was far right in your first picture today (but if you like shiny, far left in that same first picture works quite well too). The darker one (2nd from left, first picture) is nice with the counter but I don't like it with the cabinets. The pinkish ones also work with the counter, but will make the kitchen unnecessarily pink toned. The long, skinny one is just too white.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:38PM
Ann
BTW, your finished kitchen will be beautiful! Good job with your choices!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:39PM
Nicole
Thank you Ann. The long, skinny, white one was used to see if I like the style. I could order it in another color but they did not have the sample. Thanks for the complement.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:09PM
printesa
I like the darker one (more gray I think; second in the first and second photo). I think it will look great with the counter and with the Revere Pewter.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:16PM
maggicoast
Picking a color from the granite is brilliant. If you want to "calm down the granite" goin with a solid color backsplash will do that. The gray is chic, the white is casual. The off white is safe and will disappear. The mottled is tropical or rustic. Choose your "mood" and you will know your color. Subway stacking is fine. Other pattern can be done, too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:57PM
maggicoast
PS, Your style seems to be organic and traditional. Lovely and timeless.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:01PM
Nicole
Thank you.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:17PM
noiwh8
I agree with Printesa. I like the darker one in the two photos above. I'm presuming they are the same tile at different angles. If not, I like the dark one in the photo you posted, on the left.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:26PM
Eagledzines
Maybe this will help. The first and second are the darker tile samples you showed, second to left. The third picture is the smaller bone sample on the far right that you showed.

In my opinion, the pencil tile doesn't fit. The third from left and second from right is too pink. The white subway is too much of a contrast and will only make the movement in the granite more conspicuous.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:40AM
Nicole
Wow! Thanks for doing that.it is a huge help. If possible, is there a way to do that with the thin, white ones? I think the second photo looks really nice. I also like the third.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:44AM
Nicole
I really love the second pic and think I should & will most likely choose that. Thank you so much.
I have to pick tile for a powder room and bathroom. Is that program easy to use? It would be a huge help in choosing bathroom?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:48AM
mefor
Wow, I sure missed a lot!!! Well, sorry for no input, but I love the one you're choosing!! Looks like it will be great, nice continuity and flow from other room into kitchen. Thumbs up :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:17AM
cms9323
Have you thought about a stone tile? I used this one in 3x10 in shadow with a busy granite and it looks great. It has some movement but not enough to be distracting.
http://www.jeffreycourt.com/chpt11_natural_stone_field_tiles.asp
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:22AM
inkwitch
I love your countertops! They are so classy and rich. The photoshopped backsplash certainly make it easier to choose, but given the countertop and cabinet colors, I do not like the white. Boring and clashes with everything. The gray-ish stone is better, but given the color scheme, have you tried the warmer tones? I don't see a dark backsplash working, but the gray and tan look "dead."

Consider a glass tile in squares, all the same color with a darker grout. I recommend a color from the countertop, and so far, none of the backsplash colors seem to pick that up. It's a dilemma; I have a similar problem so I understand the frustration.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:42AM
Eagledzines
You're welcome! I just use Microsoft Paint and did some cut and paste. I'll post the long thin ones for you as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:51AM
Eagledzines
Long thin tile. It would probably look somewhat thinner than what is shown but hopefully that will give you an idea anyway.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:04AM
mefor
Ooh, too busy
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:05AM
mefor
Well, maybe it's just the color that's off. What size are the actual tiles?
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:06AM
Eagledzines
Copy and paste the link to the bathroom here in this post and I'll pick it up and try to give you a visual on that too.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:09AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Here are some project photos with examples of back splashes ideas for you that I have done. Notice that the granite is busy and somewhat similar to yours. As a kitchen designer, I specialize in distinctive kitchen and baths. One of my signatures is to create interesting back splash designs to go with my kitchen designs. I rather like to make a statement and have my clients homes look more unique. I prefer to do mixtures of tiles rather than the typical plain subway look which I feel is starting to date itself and looks like every other kitchen. This is still okay if you want to achieve a safe look. Another option is to think out of the box and have more fun! One trick to pulling it off is to have plain color tile area to rest your eyes and a darker area to anchor it.

In the first two photos, the dark glass 3x6 tile (like the darker ones in your first photo) anchors the tile design while the lighter 1x1 lighter glass tile rest your eyes. The last two photo, I have a 4" high strip of random glass and stone mosaic that is busy like the granite, but the lighter 6x6 tiles above it allow it to work.

Even though your cabinets are a darker wood, you still could do something similar to these ideas. You could do one or two rows of the darker brown 3x6 glass at the bottom to anchor it and then find lighter tile above it. Just make sure all tiles match the colors in the granite and don't clash with the cabinet color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:26AM
charliebeth
Here's my humble two cents...go with a lighter subway tile...something bisque or creamy or a light taupe. The dark would make the kichen feel dark and you already have dark cabinets and dark wood floors. I think the contrast of the lighter tile would look great as it would break it up a bit. FYI...I have used stone subway tile in a kitchen and it does NOT clean well, especially if you have it near the stove. The smooth surface of ceramic tile makes it easier to clean. Happy decision-making! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:41AM
mefor
I think the white and off white and lighter tan look dirty with the white woodwork as I look through the door. Like the grey or the light cocoa kind of colors if I'm seeing it with the other room. If paint on trim is different in kitchen, like an ivory I guess that's fine, but I doubt you're changing trim color from one room to the next.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:59AM
Ann
Now that I see Eagledzines renditions (very useful!), I was wrong about the darker one not working with the cabinets. I like Eagledzines second picture - looks great!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:01AM
Nicole
@eagle, I will post pics of bathroom as soon as i take them. I am not there now. Thanks again.
0 seconds ago
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:22PM
Nicole
So I chose the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park 2x6 field tile in Hampton beige which wasn't one of the original samples.
I may use the same tile in the bathroom. My question is should I use some or any of these borders? If so which ones & where?

I am thinking of just using the plain subway in both kitchen and bathroom. I think it may be too traditional with the borders or dated?
What do you think?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:03PM
LB Interiors
Something less patterned :)
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:06PM
Stay with the solid subway in black or pale gold.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:07PM
Ann
I'd say no borders.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:07PM
No borders. Keep simple.
Nicole
I will just use subway in the kitchen. What do you think about the powder room off the kitchen? Should I use the borders? Thanks for the input.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:16PM
Ann
I'd still say no to borders. I have them in my house in the kitchen and two bathrooms. I have a third bathroom where I didn't put borders and now that 8 yrs has passed, that's by far become my favorite look. I wish there was an easy way to remove my borders. It's a dated look.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:21PM
Laura
No border. Too busy and will be dated in a hurry.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:30PM
LB Interiors
I hate it when pretty designs tend to become as what some say 'dated'. I would go with what you like! I still like borders. I know, I'm different!
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:33PM
LB Interiors
I think that in 5+ years, all the design choices made in today's world will be dated too :)
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 3:34PM
Nicole
They really aren't my taste but I knew someone selling them on Craigslist and considered using them. Thank you for the feedback.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:00PM
Ann
Good point LB. I was recently thinking about names and how my kids are giving their kids such unique names. I wonder how everyone will feel about that in 20 years.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:01PM
charliebeth
Maybe "dated" isn't the best word to use as it does sound negative, but I agree with the posters saying keep it simple. Simple = timeless, in my opinion. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:21PM
Amy Stanley
I am late to the party too- love your kitchen! No borders I do think it gets you stuck in a rut for decorating after the love wears off- simple = longevity= money saved with no need to renovate!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:30PM
LB Interiors
I agree with simple and timeless means longevity. What if everyone made simple and 'safe' decisions? We wouldn't have any diversity or interesting rooms and forget about different and unusual designing. New products would not be purchased. Industry keeps us wanting what's new! Spend is the word for the manufacturers.

Many of us get bored or tired of our things or design choices after about the 6-8 year mark. Things get worn out or broken. Maybe a time for change. If income is ok, some can make the changes, unfortunately, some can not.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:40PM
Amy Stanley
Decor, paint, furnishings are easier changed then tile- It is a personal decision for sure but personally I like to make decisions that allow for these minor changes to provide a whole new look rather then the need to demo a room every time my taste changes.

My vote is still plain subway tile no border for either room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:59PM
LB Interiors
I agree 'Amy' that is a good option.
    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 5:42PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Is the backsplash done yet? Would like to see what you went with!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 7:39AM
Which backsplash should I use?
With our kitchen renovation I am using Tajmahal quartzite...
blancaster42
Backsplash design for kitchen
I have black granite counters, cherry cabinets, white...
elgm6569
Need help in my kitchen
white shaker cabinets, st. lucia granite countertop,...
judeebarron
What color should I paint my kitchen?
Hi, Houzz gurus! I have Ikea Ramsjo white cabinets,...
naturalmom5
What type of backsplash tile should I use?
My husband and I recently redid our kitchen, and I...
roandjoe
Ming dynasty style dining set: tacky or design genius??!!
Designers and friends, please help! I found a dining...
Megan Lau Pozos Villarreal
PLEASE HELP
Our new house has all original woodwork and we were...
K Reynolds Kearney
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare-TAKE2
Hi All- I need help pulling my kitchen together! The...
mhaber22
Garden and Home Show in Denver, Feb. 7-15th, Colorado Convention Cente
Will be speaking on Thursday, Feb. 12th at 6:00 pm...
Barbara Barton & Associates
Empty space
What do I put next to the couch in this informal sitting...
valcaro