Pairing bath towels/ shower curtain/ window treatment... to loud green tile
Jason Carter
Trying to tastefully pair up a luxe fabric shower curtain, towels, and a window treatment with guest shower's rather loud multi-green tile. Could go the white waffle shower curtain route and some plush white turkish bath towels... but too much white in the house. Tried complimentary blues, included one of the greens and discovered a busy pattern + tiles were dizzying. Need some with texture, tonal variations, or small hints of design. Or maybe 2-color. Take a look and let me know what you think. thanks!
Ruthie
I JUST painted my little half bath and mudroom a similar color, Peacock Green (SW) and love it! I found a plaid fabric with navy and red with a bit of teal, this bright green and yellow. I made a little curtain and navy seat cushion for a bench and a couple pillows of the same curtain. I will have navy bath mat and seat cover. It's still a work in progress, but I am liking it a lot.
June 2, 2013 at 8:57PM   
Jason Carter
Hey Ruth - I don't mind vivid lime green. Great modern color! However, this tile is olive, lime, kelly green, and like 2 others. It's a poor res shot. The multiple greens end up making patterns (aside from maybe an oversized screened graphic) seem WAY too busy. Post a pic of yours or email me, if you have a moment. Thank you! Jason
kejieshen@aol.com
June 2, 2013 at 9:01PM   
Ruthie
Here's what I have so far. Still working on details, pics, etc. (don't look tooo close at my attempt to sew a bench cushion..... Guess I better give my cousin a holler!) Anyways, maybe you get the idea? And I think my green is brighter in real life--it looks more yellow here.
Shrug
June 2, 2013 at 9:10PM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- The green is a neat color! I am wondering if the door is a pink color taken from the floor tile?
I really think that this pink color is making the green tile, even more visually demanding. One option would be to find a warm gray in the floor tile and paint the doors and wall this gray.

The shower curtain shown here is a possibility but remember that ANY drapery fabric can be made into a much more stunning or sophisticated shower curtain by anyone that sews and you would get the look you want, I think, by shopping in this area. A print or stripe might be too much pattern for this room so you might think about concentrating on a textured fabric. [corded, a thick terry,a slub, etc.] gray/green/black palatte in a pinstripe, something on the subtle side. Remember that your floor is busy too! Incorporate the black of the cabinet into the design and, just a touch will do - gray towels with a black braid, black towels with your monogram in green or gray, some black in the curtain fabric, etc.

Another idea would be to install a light color paneling on the walls - painting the door to match. Perhaps a tongue in groove birch wood because it is light colored if left natural.
June 2, 2013 at 9:10PM   
HERE Design and Architecture
I like the tile. You might try one of those black and white photographic landscape shower curtains, like the one that has the view of the Brooklyn bridge. It helps create space in a small room.
June 2, 2013 at 9:11PM   
Stamps Design Services
Here are a couple of shower curtain and towel examples from Bed, Bath and Beyond, there are tons more out there.... The idea is to select one with the green (or a close shade) in it, along with other colors, so that you are not limited to all white :-)
June 2, 2013 at 9:12PM     
jerryalan
How about using a mild aqua as the other color in the room, besides white? Make sure it is a solid, no patterns, and only one shade. I think that would be complimentary to the green, which is pretty but maybe a tad overwhelming.
June 2, 2013 at 9:15PM     
Jason Carter
1. Ruth - thank you for posting. Love your green with your wood trim! Not so crazy about the plaid, personally (please don't be offended. just personal taste). The piping and presence of the lime-yellowish green in the pattern on those pillows are definitely what make it workable. Thank you for sharing :)

2. Sandy: Lovely bathroom and great use of space for sure! What I believe you're seeing as pink is just the undertones of the stained white elm. It does have a sort of pinkish hue. Unfortunately, it's all throughout the condo... making some color choices really clash with it. But that's another tale. As for your curtain, I had actually picked up a version of that (with more color vibrance - compliment blue/olive-lime greens/white) curtain at target. When I got it up, with that tile, I just couldn't get past the really overly busy feeling. Maybe just one of the greens and white. Probably going to end up making the curtain from a fabric at Britex. lol

3. HERE D&A: Ironically... when I was pooling "possible" options for the curtain, I gravitated straight towards a monochromatic or sepia photographic transfer-like curtain... and also looked at Blissliving's london (more of a line drawing of the skyline) curtain. I just got turned off by the fact that all feltand looked kind of "cheap"... screen print onto a cheap polyester. Loved the concept, but wasn't crazy about what was available.

Sorry kids. I do appreciate the input, though!
June 2, 2013 at 9:29PM   
Jason Carter
Stamps - your curtain was a very close cousin to the target curtain I tried (except my bars were vertical). It was way too busy. Your paint job is a great singular color picked up by the curtain. Like 6-7 greens behind my curtain and patterns just make it look like "too much" going on.

I do love your (green/white) hand towels though! Mid-century pattern of the white is great. Not big on florals tho... being a single guy and all :) But I will certainly give it a go if I run out of any choices I like.
June 2, 2013 at 9:34PM   
aimran
i would say go for dark colour like the vanity for accessories. such as shower curtains & towels... that will tone down the green.. pair it with broad white stripes.. horizontal too eg:
June 2, 2013 at 9:35PM   
Jason Carter
PS - First time posting on Houzz.. the quick feedback from you is awesome. Thanks for your time, people!
June 2, 2013 at 9:38PM     
I would use a dark rich brown as the accent color.
June 2, 2013 at 9:39PM     
Jason Carter
Good ole' color wheel definitely endorses the soft aqua... :)
June 2, 2013 at 9:39PM   
Jason Carter
Despite the dark brown vanity?
June 2, 2013 at 9:40PM   
Like the green and white towels from Stamps only in dark chocolate and white, yes, despite the vanity.
June 2, 2013 at 9:41PM     
Jason Carter
Alrighty... got aqua, dark chocolate, and maybe a singular green/white. I guess its going to come down to what I find at Britex. Good selection, but you can spend all day there (5-6 floors). LOL
June 2, 2013 at 9:42PM   
What is a Britex?
June 2, 2013 at 9:44PM   
Jason Carter
will take me a day or two... will post up some remnants of what I find. Stay tuned. Thanks again everyone
June 2, 2013 at 9:44PM   
Jason Carter
Huge commercial high/industry quality fabric supplier. Think Joanne's Fabrics but with about 8x the square footage, and with more sophisticated choices. It's a bit pricey, but definitely the largest collection of what I'd call more of the "architectural digest" caliber fabrics under one roof... in my area.
June 2, 2013 at 9:45PM   
aimran
plus please paint the peach door, a grey... or darker colour as vanity.. you don't need to have it matched with tile.. or paint it white
June 2, 2013 at 9:52PM   
onthefence
Came across this shower curtain a few months ago on a different post. The colors are wild...but I think it could be a great contrast to your tile. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18824582
June 2, 2013 at 10:15PM   
onthefence
I think I'd be concerned that if you try to narrow a shower curtain down to a couple colors, it will look like you tried to match and missed. A large variety of colors IMO will work better. Then you can pick just one for towels and other accents.

Normally I like the white waffle weave look - but I think in this bathroom you need something to hold it's own with the tile. Then you could pick one of the less predominant colors in the tile or curtain to use for towels. I'd stay with solid color towels rather than pattern.
June 2, 2013 at 10:22PM   
Jason Carter
interesting points... OTF. I'm going to have to play with a number of choices. As for holding it's own, I had the same inclination. Thought about a rich tangerine or pale orange at one point (never saw anything I liked in curtains)... for stark contrast, but I felt like that might create the Del Monte fruit stand feeling. lol.
June 2, 2013 at 10:35PM     
ReMax - Lisa
I think a dark navy blue would contrast well with the green and would make the room crisp and masculine. Sort of a nautical look.
June 2, 2013 at 10:51PM     
onthefence
ROFLMAO on the fruit stand feeling! All you need is some pineapple yellow. The rich tangerine is an interesting thought. There's no way you're going to un-bold that bathroom so you might as well run with it!

I do think a bold stripe involving a few of your colors - and maybe even throwing in the tangerine - will be your best bet.

Have a grand time at Britex!
June 2, 2013 at 10:55PM     
HERE Design and Architecture
Try the vinyl curtains - I think they feel better than the polyester.
June 2, 2013 at 11:09PM   
Jason Carter
Amen to that --- "There's no way you're going to un-bold that bathroom so you might as well run with it!" I wasn't willing to get into tearing down tile at this point. If I head that route, I will gut both bathrooms. LOL. Only bought the place a short time ago. Master bath has the same green tile, but is a walk-in with 3 large panels of glass enclosing. Much cooler than the simple curtain option here. Biggest bummer: Turns out every unit in this 6-floor condo complex has the same bathroom tile in one or both bathrooms. LOL. Thanks mister Architect/Contractor.
June 2, 2013 at 11:18PM     
tcufrog
The green is fun and young so embrace that. What about a trendy zig zag stripe? http://www.pbteen.com/products/zig-n-zag-shower-curtain/? Urban Outfitters has some fun over-the-top options http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?id=A_FURN_CURTAINS

My final piece of advice is to not limit yourself to shower curtains. You can use any curtain as long as the dimensions are correct and you have a good shower curtain liner between it and the bath. It should be relatively inexpensive to get a shower curtain hemmed. Spoonflower.com has an amazing selection of funky fabric of every color or theme you could think of. You can even create your own custom fabric.
June 3, 2013 at 1:24AM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Considering your glass vanity & vessel, how about installing a rimless, frosted or textured, glass shower door unit - nix the shower curtain all together? This would soften the "buzz" of the tile for you while keeping the contempo look.
June 3, 2013 at 8:34AM     
Jason Carter
This is the master bath... didn't want to put up glass in both bathrooms... also thinking in the long run I will gut and do something completely different in this bath vs. the master. Thanks tho!
June 3, 2013 at 11:40AM   
onthefence
That's a nice big master shower Jason. It seems a bit easier to see the pattern of the tile in this one too.

I do have to confess I like the tile. I might feel differently though if I had it floor to ceiling on 3 walls and in 2 bathrooms. I really applaud you though for doing what you can to work with it now as it is. I just know you're going to find something that not only makes it work but makes it amazing!
June 3, 2013 at 12:43PM     
Jason Carter
Ha! Glad one of us is confident... Thanks for that. Going to keep looking until I find something that doesn't feel like a makeshift attempt. And honestly, the tile isn't bad. It's just very hard to pair... and I have a lot of it. LOL.
June 3, 2013 at 1:09PM     
WOW. Use towels with a turquoise and this green in them. Put a solid turquoise hand towel on top of them. Use solid black shower curtain.
June 3, 2013 at 1:18PM     
Add round black rug by tub.
June 3, 2013 at 1:19PM     
onthefence
@travisinteriors - I don't think a black curtain would work. There doesn't appear to be an overhead light in the shower.
June 3, 2013 at 1:25PM   
doctornancy
I'm a bit late to join this conversation. I see a Buddha statue in the bathroom, so I am guessing you have an inclination toward a more zen-like style. A more monochromatic color palette, softened with gray, will create a more restful feeling, congruent with this style. The green tile is lovely and happy. With the shower curtain closed, the green will peek out and truly be just an accent color. I think it can work for you. Can't wait to see your "after" photos, since the suggestions are all over the map!
June 3, 2013 at 1:55PM     
Jason Carter
You certainly took notice, Nancy... and you are correct. I always find myself drawn to what I think of as a zen style (asian features, nature prints like silhouettes of trees/grass/birds/etc, earth tones, and muted colors with occasional color flash). And even better, the mockup curtain you inserted is very close to the same curtain I first chose when I started. Unfortunately, my bedroom is decor'd in this suite of grays. So I was looking to try other options to avoid feeling repetitious. I do think this curtain has a nicer tonal transition from top to bottom (light to dark) than the one I picked out. The rug you inserted looks very similar to a Blissliving rug I had thought might work (same color scheme). So... great intuition! If only grays and muted steel blues weren't my favorite decor colors (along with white). LOL.
June 3, 2013 at 2:57PM   
doctornancy
Repetition is nice in a home. Accessories, art, and area rugs give the different spaces their distinct character, but repeating colors and styles creates cohesion. Optimally, it should feel like all the rooms belong together - like a well put-together outfit.
June 3, 2013 at 3:12PM     
Jason Carter
Yeah, that sounds good in theory... but I've noticed I tend to take a good thing and overuse it. I'm artist (creative in advertising), and while I don't always know or understand why an element works or doesn't... I definitely overuse. So... trying to diversify within my own style and maybe introduce a bit more flare.
June 3, 2013 at 3:17PM     
Sandy G. ltd.
Since one of your goals is to cut the busy look of your shower, the best sollution for finding a shower curtain might be a solid white [matching your tub] with a graphic element within.

You can get curtain rod covers and rings in any color. Cover the rod in black and hang the curtain from black rings. These items are really affordable - like under $20 for the whole deal.

The tile is visually strong, yes, so adding a shower curtain that is simple just as strong visually, will balance that out.
June 3, 2013 at 4:43PM     
June 3, 2013 at 4:59PM   
doctornancy
Ok, Mr. Creative Advertising Man with Flare - check this out (be sure to look under the vanity sink!):
June 3, 2013 at 6:27PM     
doctornancy
That green Buddha is actually for sale on the web!
June 3, 2013 at 6:28PM     
onthefence
Nancy, I LOVE the green with black! The green Buddha is the best touch ;-) Can't wait to hear what Jason thinks.
June 3, 2013 at 6:38PM     
aimran
Love the tiles! & pattern
June 4, 2013 at 12:16AM   
Sandy G. ltd.
This shower curtain works because the strong pattern, with the greens in it plus black, is as bold as the tile is green. Nice work Nancy! Love the "Mr. Creative-Advertising-Man-With-Flair" tag! I have found that some "Creatives" get stuck figuring out the details of their own things.

Travis, the black rug works as a bridge between the vanity and the shower curtain. The shape helps cut the busy floor to just edges. Great suggestion!

I still feel, however that a simpler curtain would produce a more zen-like "rest" room.
June 4, 2013 at 12:01PM     
Genevieve
June 4, 2013 at 5:47PM     
Stamps Design Services
You could purchase a plain whower curtain and add stenciling in the colors you want, using a chevron pattern.... The stencil is offered at cuttingedge.com in two different sizes, that way you would have what you want :-)
June 5, 2013 at 7:20AM     
Jason Carter
Just as a reference :) It's been hectic the last week or more... haven't had time to work on the project. Will post swatch samples, etc. when I get a moment. Thanks for all the input everyone.

BTW: Sandy... "I have found that some 'Creatives' get stuck figuring out the details of their own things." Boy, I felt the zing on that comment. LOL.
June 10, 2013 at 4:45PM     
vickishaub
I love Nancy's choices in your room.
June 10, 2013 at 5:47PM   
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
Bedroom redesign to an office
Please help give this room a face lift. So far only...
Uneven double dormer
We just built a double dormer but didn't realized they...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Curb Appeal Needed!
New Home: We just removed several trees and bushes...