Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dminyusa

we need help with a an idea for our backsplash

Pearl Mayer
10 years ago
We need to install a backsplash, before they finish installing the range hood and the moulding of my kitchen. See pictures, please let me know what you think we should do with the backsplash.

Comments (76)

• Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They call it Everest Granite, I guess I will have to get a piece from the fabricator to take along, that's why I was thinking of going with some sort of colored glass tile. we are not sure what to do
  • Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sam0705 and mforr thanks a million!!!!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    You're welcome!! I'll look for some glass tile for you to check out
  • User
    10 years ago
    Now that my kitchen renovation is done I need to live vicariously through others! Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you like aqua, this is a tile I had saved to my ideabook at one point.
    Koi Ceramic Art Tile- Ann Sacks Tile & Stone · More Info
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Here are a few ideas. Most of them are frosted or a lower shine semi matte finish, or a couple ceramic. I think you probably wouldn't want too small a tile, it would look busy with all the grout lines. This can be done in a herringbone too if you'd like that better than a traditional running bond
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    If you can't get stone to mix with the countertop, I think you should stick to a very light palette in the backsplash. Most of these were whites, aquas, greens, greys and even a light taupe
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you open the pic you can see the project and there are more shots of this backsplash
    Private Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Aican Decor (div. Aican Graphics Inc.)
    10 years ago
    I think a full colour print direct to brushed aluminum panels (dibond or alubond) with an appropriate design (either photographic or an abstract pattern) could look fabulous and be super easy to maintain (because its completely flat). The print can be very durable and protected with a clear/gloss laminate for extra durability. Behind the ranges, you could install plain (unprinted) brushed alu panels which probably would go well with the stainless steel. I've attached a very quick rendering of the idea.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Love that last one sam0705, that's so beautiful, ethereal.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Are they crackle glazed? I have something similar in shower here, but slightly stronger color.
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    stick with the carerra -- I love the herringbone pattern, but there are many beautiful choices and wonderful patterns now in carerra. It is elegant and timeless. By the way, your kitchen look fabulous so far!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Pic of my tile
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    I would stay away from an additional color that limits your future decor and go ultra simple with tile in the white/gray range. I like many of the above selections. I think some sheen will add the wow. Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    mforr - that is gorgeous!!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Thank you, that's my daughters bathroom, lucky girl! Wish I had that when I was growing up.
  • PRO
    GRANITEio
    10 years ago
    I like the white grey subway tile rectangle, not square... Makes the room look longer... Definitely run the tile up to the ceiling behind the stove.
  • Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lori believe it or not its not a carerra marble its actually a Granite! this board is really helpful Mforr I love those tiles they are in real good taste
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Your welcome, dminyusa :)
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    Hi Dminy -- I know it's not carerra, but I think I would stick with carerra for the backsplash. I also think people have shared with you a lot of really cool ones. I think you will really love it - so classic, so elegant.
  • Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Aican can you send me a better picture of that back splash I cant blow it up to see it better
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 years ago
    Beautiful looking kitchen. I think you should go with something similar to our Pearl or Diamond subway tile, which you can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

You have a very light/airy feel in your kitchen, don't take away from it with something overbearing or dark.
  • Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    have you noticed there is only one knob on, any ideas for the knobs? do you like the one samples we have on?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think for your style of kitchen that a wood knob painted same white as cabinets. Very classic look. But if you want metal I need a better pic if possible. I'll try to find something you might like. If metal, would you consider a knob for cabinets and a pull for drawers?
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    The photo is too far away to see the knob clearly. Can you post a close up? I like the idea of chrome, nickel, or brushed/satin nickel with your cabinets. And I agree that a combination of knobs for cabinets and pulls for drawers would be nice.
  • Pearl Mayer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    somehow we like the look on the cabinet even though its not a real pretty knob, we might go for a crystal round knob
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Here's a few suggestion. I'll look for crystal, but I think it would be lost in the kitchen
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Crystal
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    More
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    One of the drawer pulls above has a glass handle, might look nice with crystal knob. I still prefer white painted knob or round or egg shaped knob and traditional pull
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    The ones that look like a crystal ball? Very pretty, but I think you'd be forever wiping them off. But lovely. I showed pictures in satin nickel but most of them come in polished chrome if that's what you were interested in.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Kosher kitchen or many cooks? Is there another sink hidden from view?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    See the other sink now
  • User
    10 years ago
    I was just about to ask the same question - after looking at this thread throughout the day this was somehow the first time I realized there were two ovens. Very observant of me.
    I also like the black for knobs and pulls - too much of a statement?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think maybe a little too intense. If the kitchen looked a bit more country, maybe.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    We brought back a bunch of different pulls and knobs we liked from Restoration Hardware and then had friends whose taste we trusted over for a hardware party. Even though we flirted with the more modern looking bar pulls (which actually match our SS refrigerator handles), everyone agreed that our white Shaker kitchen, set in the context of our 1920's house, looked best with the classic bin pull and round knob combination in brushed nickel. So that's what we chose. But looking at all the different options with friends was really fun!
  • PRO
    AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
    10 years ago
    I copied your pic and added a Mediterranean tile mural above the cook top so you can get an idea of a wonderful vibrant focal point.. You can also add a companion tile mural above the other cook top or not.. Accessories and colors would then complement the tile mural

http://www.AliciaTappDesigns.com
    Any image on tiles
  • Erika Q
    10 years ago
    mforr - Where is the attached tile from? I think it's fabulous for this space! (And my kitchen backsplash!)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hi Erika Quiel. New Ravenna mosaics, raj
  • Erika Q
    10 years ago
    Ha mforr! I knew it! We are looking at New Ravenna as well. Super pricey but gorg!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Very high end designs, so unique. Makes it hard to copy in an inexpensive way.
  • PRO
    On Course Construction
    10 years ago
    I see everyone is leaning toward a white subway tile or a glass light tile. With the the white countertop and the white cabinets throughout, adding a white backsplash will completely "wash" and date your entire color palette. Backsplashes are meant to draw your attention and be a focal point. I would like to offer a different look that we have done before in the same kind of kitchen. A stainless 2x2 tile backsplash would color, while not going too abstract looking like a green or aqua-blue as suggested before. Besides, when you add colors like that on such a big item in a kitchen.....you better like them!!!
  • juniperjo
    10 years ago
    I like the dove grey subway tile in mforr's post, above. I think that would add another, maybe not "color" to your palette, but a little contrast. I do think that all of the white/white/white might get a bit old, although if you have other ways to add pops of color it might be just fine. Also I have seen beautiful blue-grey tiles, which would also go with your countertops. I'll see if I can find a picture (I'm terrible at posting pictures -- much better at descriptions!).