fire pit or fire place
knze76
June 3, 2013 in Polls
Please take a look at the attached pictures. We recently expanded the fence around our pool to create more outdoor living space. We want to add a fire element, but can't decide which. My husband wants a round fire pit, but I would like something different and unique and though a double sided fireplace would be nice. One it would be easier to clean out and you could have seating in the grassy area as well as a patio.
Fire pit
fireplace
leelee
Fire pit is much more user friendly. Everyone sits around the fire and warms their feet. Circle is best for conversation.

I vote Pit.
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 12:24PM
Agreed with fire pit. It's more entertainment friendly.
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 5:46PM
Yes, Pit.
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 5:46PM
handymam
Put me down for pit as well.
1 Like   June 3, 2013 at 5:50PM
Rocky Mountain Ironworks
It kinda depends on where you want to put it or sit. It's difficult to tell given the pictures you've supplied.

If you were to put your fire feature underneath the deck, I'd recommend an outdoor fireplace. If you wanted to put it outside, towards the pool or behind your house somewhere, then a fire pit would be best. Either way, gas is way more convenient and will be used more.

To make either project more cozy, consider a set of our Artistic Steel Logs. Will add WOW and warmth to your fire pit or outdoor fireplace. Feel free to check out our website/Houzz for more photos.

Jamie
rmironworks@me.com
2 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 1:51PM
handymam
Rocky Mountain, wow, those ARE cool! I have never seen anything like that before!
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 1:53PM
Brown Bros. Masonry
Agree with Rocky Mountain...depends on the location you're thinking. Both are excellent features to any outdoor living space.
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 3:24PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Fire pit is definitely more budget friendly.
0 Likes   June 4, 2013 at 6:09PM
Night Light, Inc.
Have a look at these outdoor fireplaces we've worked on. The spaces are very inviting, and even when the fireplace isn't in use it is still an attractive architectural element both day and night. Fire pits aren't as visual - other than when they are in use and people are circled around them.

An Evening Retreat

A Sundown Sanctuary 1

A Sundown Sanctuary 2

A Twilight Getaway
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 10:50AM
domil123
I like the fireplaces.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 10:55AM
A fire pit is a great spot for entertaining. I only want one if it is hooked up to natural gas. Otherwise you can't depend on the wind, or the fog and a real fire can smoke so easily then no one wants to sit there.

0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 10:58AM
Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
When I think about fire pit vs. fireplace, fire pit seems more like a family friendly style for entertainment (like smores), whereas a fireplace seems more like a traditional style of entertainment (like sipping wine). I vote Rocky Mountain Ironworks' fire pit! What a neat product! Good luck!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 11:29AM
Lawler Railing & Metal Design
Lawler Railing & Metal Design
We fabricated this custom fire pit and grill for a customer and they love it!! It can used as a cooking surface for grilling and also a fire pit for large fires. The cooking grate is made to swing out and move up or down. It is massive weighing approximately 300lbs. constructed of solid steel. Good luck with your project.
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 7:12AM
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
Fire pits/bowls are less expensive than a fully constructed fireplace. I agree with earlier comments that a fire pit is also more casual and offers better seating flexibility. Lastly, for a fireplace to draw properly, you may be talking about significant height. Think about how the scale of a fireplace would affect the rest of the space.
0 Likes   July 26, 2013 at 9:26PM
what is the most durable material for a sofa?
We have two sofas/couches in our family room and we...
Horrid tile
I want to change the tile behind my stove, I'm not...
Hammered copper farmsink discolouration
I recently remodelled my kitchen and installed a hammered...
Need help for a kitchen issue
How do I design a kitchen with two stoves?