Best House Warming Gift?
Assuming you move into or back into a home after a project is finished, let's hear some ideas for house warming gifts! Is there something on your own wish list or did you find just the right thing for someone else?

I'm including a photo of something I've been coveting for MONTHS.

nasmijati
A bird feeder is sometimes a nice housewarming gift. It helps to know the people's interests.
June 4, 2013 at 4:49pm     
No one better ever give me wind chimes. (No offense to people that love them, but the noise drives me bananas.)
June 4, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Love the bird house or feeder, ez. I am sitting here, typing away, with the sounds of all the birds getting ready for bed. So peaceful and what a gift.
June 4, 2013 at 4:57pm     
0825sam
Other than wine I like to give a white serving piece because it's useful, neutral enough to go with pretty much anything and the homeowner won't feel obligated to display it.
June 4, 2013 at 5:03pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
Candle holders especially outdoor lanterns.
June 4, 2013 at 5:19pm     
I once gave one of these to a friend and she immediately nailed it to the wall by her front door. Loved it.
June 4, 2013 at 5:20pm     
Emily, what are those?
June 4, 2013 at 5:21pm   
Anyone want to come to my house? Don't be shy…bring one of those amazing gifts. :>)
June 4, 2013 at 5:22pm     
Scott, today on Joss and Main, there were some great outdoor candle holders…I would love two or three to hang UNDER my deck.
June 4, 2013 at 5:23pm     
sam…wine is GOOD, too. Sonoma Cutrer.
June 4, 2013 at 5:24pm   
@Judyg I had never seen them before, but found them in a local shop. Apparently they are meant to be house blessings. They are made out of iron and you traditionally nail them to a tree in your yard (I think?). I just did a little googling and found they carry them at Neiman Marcus. The shop where I bought one is long gone, I'm afraid.
June 4, 2013 at 5:26pm   
Anything consumable. I really don't like other people picking things I'm expected to display. I have two of them right now on a shelf, and I don't like either one.
June 4, 2013 at 5:36pm     
onthefence
I agree with groveraxle here.

The only non-consumable that I do give from time to time is a stack of tea towels. They don't have to be displayed and it's fairly easy to find neutral ones. I've yet to meet the homeowner who has too many good kitchen towels.
June 4, 2013 at 5:57pm     
LOL groveraxle- I have to think when I know people are coming over, so I can go dig out their gift and put it on display. When they leave I go put it back in hiding.
June 4, 2013 at 6:03pm     
studio10001
Loppers.
June 4, 2013 at 6:41pm     
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
I always appreciate a gift card to a hardware store
June 4, 2013 at 6:46pm   
Keitha
A living wreath! Our friend purchased this adorable wreath for her door but I think it would be a fabulous housewarming gift....
June 4, 2013 at 6:47pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
Hey judyg...I've got bunnies under my deck!
June 4, 2013 at 7:04pm     
Bring me a case of champagne, please!
June 4, 2013 at 7:08pm     
Jen Reed
Bread, that this house may never know hunger. salt, that life will always have flavor. Wine, that joy and prosperity will reign forever.

- it's a wonderful life
June 4, 2013 at 7:20pm     
Robin W
A book of how-to (if they're so inclined) or easy fix type things that can be done in emergencies. A gift card to their favorite decorating store or online retailer. A plant (boring...). Flowers. Treats (home baked goodies).
June 4, 2013 at 7:35pm     
Barnhart Gallery
A picture of me!

Just kidding. For people I know really well, I'll design and make a mailbox or house sign with family name and date if appropriate.
June 4, 2013 at 8:35pm     
Barnhart Gallery
(...and you're all picturing my portrait with a round white head and sloping shoulders, LOL.)
June 4, 2013 at 8:37pm     
suzanne_m
On a practical note, maybe a fan deck of a paint store.
June 4, 2013 at 8:40pm   
mmers
If it's a new home with no landscaping, a gift card to a great garden shop? I know I'd LOVE that and I have an established garden.
June 4, 2013 at 8:53pm     
studio10001
*L* Well jeesh, Barnhardt, NOW we are..!
June 4, 2013 at 9:03pm     
Barnhart Gallery
studio, we're twins!
June 4, 2013 at 9:09pm   
studio10001
*LOL*
June 4, 2013 at 9:09pm   
Angelic Frade
If you know them really well, you may be able to get them a decor or art piece provided that you know their taste. If it is someone you don't know well, I suggest an edible item or a small outdoor plant. My Mom usually gives out plants as housewarming gifts to add warmth to the new home.
June 4, 2013 at 9:49pm     
I made a "dinner" basket once and our friends were delighted. A basket with cloth napkins (and french bread), spaghetti, a jar of spaghetti sauce, a bottle of Chiati (the basket bottle kind), two small crystal candlesticks and two taper candles. They said they enjoyed the easy meal and when they use the candlesticks they think of their romantic Italian meal "we" made for them for their new home.
June 4, 2013 at 10:06pm     
magspag
Herbs in pots
June 4, 2013 at 11:42pm     
deelyn
I am a Realtor so always giving house warming gifts- the best and most practical- a front door mat personalized with my client's last name. Always a hit and always needed!
June 5, 2013 at 3:22am     
A basket with champagne (or proseco, which I actually like more) and two pretty champagne flutes. But I like Darzy's idea of bringing a basket with all the makings of a meal too.

(Worst housewarming gift we received: Huge scented candle. I put it in the attic, planning to take it out only when the giver came over next, and it perfumed the whole attic with its overwhelming scent. We had to get rid of it.)
June 5, 2013 at 4:07am     
Rachelle Plantagenet
I would love a quality treeswing for a house warming gift!
June 5, 2013 at 4:27am     
studiovhdesign
I make pretty custom coasters if anyone ever needs to give a gift. People love receiving them.
www.studio-vhdesign.com
June 5, 2013 at 5:09am   
studio10001
Darzy's idea was the first housewarming gift I received, and much appreciated. (On a side note, we had no furniture, and prepared a picnic on the floor with the gift; within minutes we realized the house was infested with fleas, so finished our "first dinner at the new house" in the car on the way to buy bombs - the second housewarming gift I received!)
June 5, 2013 at 11:17am     
Kevin Bartolotto
Home Depot gift cards!!!
June 5, 2013 at 11:24am     
lizzybethme
At my housewarming party, I received a lot of wine :), bath and body soaps, tea towels, candles, a spice basket, recipes with ingredients to make the recipe...all very nice. I saw the other day a cute idea on Pinterest. It was a bottle of wine with a miniature hammer tied to the top. The attached note said, "Take a break and let's get hammered." Lol, I thought it was cute and pretty funny. :)
June 5, 2013 at 11:35am     
Sigrid
I got a home made gift of dinner. It was an easy recipe Tuna noodle casserole, or tuna salad? A choice, maybe. All I I remember it had Whiskey and tuna and chopsticks. It might have had paper plates and napkins. The idea was you could mix the recipe with the chopsticks if you hadn't unpacked your kitchen. I was 7 months pregnant, it was an international move and we'd been living in hotels with a toddler for wayyyyy too long. I hadn't unpacked my kitchen and was really sick of restaurant meals. It was a great gift, but not as elegantly packaged as Darzy's.
June 5, 2013 at 12:17pm     
tcufrog
I've given Brother label makers. The recipients often wonder why but once they use it a few times they tell me they can't live without them.
June 5, 2013 at 1:04pm     
PH Interiors, LLC
I got my sister a hammock....I use it all the time!
June 5, 2013 at 1:15pm     
joyful_lady
OnTheFence, Just today my partner said we had too many kitchen towels. It is very hard to fit all of them in the two drawers dedicated to their storage.

I would not want a welcome mat with my last name on it. I would be concerned that someone would come to the door acting like they knew me (using the name on the mat) and that a child who opened the door would be tricked and let them in.

The dinner idea, pizza gift card, or home improvement gift cards are always welcome. When my next door neighbors moved in I let them know that we would feed them, to just let us know what time they wanted to take a break. All they had tto do was show up, eat and then go back to their unpacking.
June 5, 2013 at 2:41pm   
I agree with you on the welcome mat, preferring a plain simple one myself, my favorite being the Ikea one for $8 or $9. Sounds like you'd be a good neighbor to have!
June 5, 2013 at 3:33pm   
indianpatti
A basket of home baked goodies with a nice card & gift certificate to Lowe's or Home Depot :)
June 5, 2013 at 4:08pm   
Keitha
I never thought about the dangers of having your name on a welcome mat!!!! Thanks for sharing that point Joyfullady.
June 5, 2013 at 7:00pm   
Darzy, please move here? I will make you sauce. And a salad, and bread and wine and a cannoli.
June 5, 2013 at 7:09pm     
Keitha, go to one of the satellite property searches. Right down to your street and up to your front door. Scary. You can just plug in your street address in google. Privacy and security are a things of the past.

How are you? :>)
June 5, 2013 at 7:13pm   
Emily, et ux, just bring me salt for the margarita. xxxooo
June 5, 2013 at 7:14pm   
Keitha
YIKES!...now I'll stress over keeping my home " neat and tidy" cause you never know which nosy neighbor will be looking.... Guess I better keep those shutters closed too!
June 5, 2013 at 7:33pm   
keitha, it will just be moi pressing my nose against your window.
June 5, 2013 at 7:35pm   
Keitha
Judyg.... I'm serious I just saw the google earth car going down the street several days ago!
June 5, 2013 at 7:37pm   
Keitha
Judyg... While you're looking I'll take any decorating recommendations you have!
June 5, 2013 at 7:41pm   
Keitha
P.S. just leave the house warming gift on the porch!
June 5, 2013 at 7:45pm   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
I agree, keep it simple. Most new homeowners want to choose their own things, and have just spent weeks culling out, moving, and unpacking boxes. They don't need any more "stuff" to store. So unless you know them well enough to fill a specific decor need, stick with food, wine, craft beer.
June 5, 2013 at 8:01pm     
Bread, salt and wine = threshold covenant making elements and are very appropriate.
June 5, 2013 at 8:10pm   
One Red Stool
A tree to plant. A gift that gives life.
June 5, 2013 at 8:22pm     
Newly Released: Good or bad house warming gift?
New featured house warming gift. Thoughts? [houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/5465108/Abelardo--Box-asian-accessories-and-decor-phoenix] Available...
House warming gift
My friend has green sectional, white walls, and tan...
Best paint colour to brighten/warm up a dark basement.
What colour did you paint your basement to both brighten...
red oak hardwood floors, dark oak trim what color best for warm interi
I have red oak floors, dark oak trim and want a warm...
Island too big! Can't find granite that is 139 inches
I went to select granite today and the largest they...
What are the pros and cons of a Murphy bed versus a sleeper sofa
We have a guest room which we use as our office and...
Living room paint color disaster!!!! Help!!!
I bought 2 gallons of paint in a light greyish beige...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
Remodelling antique teak wood cupboard
The cupboard is old teak wood. It is very heavy for...