light vs. dark granite??? Can light granite be kept stain free?
mom2orsini
I am planning to do cream surround cabinets and a dark wood island. I would like to use honed black granite as my surround counter and light granite on island. HOWEVER, I decorate a LOT of cakes and use food color often. Will I truly be able to keep the light granite on my island stain free??? Or, must I go with all dark granite???
Judy M
Marble stains easier than most granite. So avoid marble, ask a stone fabricator what choices of granite would be suitable.

I have no rebuke with staining in my granite, I seal it every six months to a year.
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 6:08AM
Judy M
Darn iPhone, should be I have no "trouble" with my granite
1 Like   June 5, 2013 at 6:08AM
mefor
Never rebuke your granite, Judy m, it doesn't like it :)
I think you shouldn't have a problem, but have you considered quartz for perimeter counters?
1 Like   June 5, 2013 at 6:11AM
mom2orsini
I definitely am not choosing marble and certainly will try NOT to rebuke my granite (LOL...that was funny!)...I looked at Quartz, but haven't seen anything in the finish or style I like...plus, being almost double the price of granite, not sure I"m willing to pay that. So, your experience has not proven an issue with stains on light granite?
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 6:35AM
Judy M
Light as in white? I would describe at a creamy background with mottled colors of brown, black, a pale coral.

I am not home, so I cannot take a photo for you, my husband (and you know how messy they can be) is the cook in the house, no problems.

Not all granite is created equal, so that's why I say ask fabricator.

The absolute black granite (if a good quality one) Is very dense, mine does not even need sealing.

I have polished black in a bathroom and a laundry room.

I don't have experience with honed granite.
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 6:45AM
Judy M
Here is a photo that shows my granite. I took a photo of flowers that hubby bought me and it shows the counter.
1 Like   June 5, 2013 at 6:50AM
mefor
Lovely
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 6:52AM
mom2orsini
Judy, that is very pretty (flowers AND granite!)...I will definitely consult with the fabricator...I can't imagine that granite would have made it THIS FAR in the design world if it really didn't hold up against stains as promised (with sealing of course). And, no, not white...my cabinets are going to be a warm cream and my granite will also be chosen in the warm/cream venue...I like that speckled look. I just don't want to get too much brown...definitely cream and black and shiny will be the main colors.
2 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:03AM
apple_pie_order
Ask the granite shop for some granite and quartz scraps. Apply food coloring and wait a few hours or or overnight. That's how I learned Marmoleum flooring stains.
4 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:11AM
mefor
Great advice :)
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:12AM
mom2orsini
Now, why didn't I think of that? I'll do that!!!! Thanks "apple_pie_order" :)
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:14AM
JDM Countertops, Inc.
Lighter granite is more porous than darker, and black is one the most dense stones out there. Every granite is its own individual stone with unique characteristics, density, viscosity, etc. Apple Pie Order gives some good advice, but I would seal the samples first (except the quartz) or at least part of the sample so you can see the difference. As long as you seal the stone you shouldn't have any issues. A lighter granite you will probably just have to seal more often (maybe once a year). You'll know it's time to reseal when the stone starts absorbing moisture from, say, condensation from a cup of water. If the stone actually darkens and the water just doesn't bead up, it's time to reseal. You can also look at the area around your sink, if it starts darkening with the water, same thing. I don't see any issues with using a lighter stone on your island.
5 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:22AM
Granite Grannies
You shouldn't have staining issues with granite at all. Like JDM said, you may as well seal it once a year, but it's very hard to stain granite.
2 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:31AM
mefor
Now that's good advice too, thanks for the info!
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:31AM
Curb Appeal Renovations
I think that you have received a lot of great advice. If there is anything that I can help you with please get in touch with me. I would love to be of service to you. Thank you.
0 Likes   June 5, 2013 at 8:45AM
Wood floor light stain on main vs dark stain on railings and stairs
We live in an older home with original hardwoods upstairs,...
Light vs Dark granite
Trying to decide whether to go with light stone (White...
Dark stained floors vs dark stained cabinets for kitchen?
We don't have much natural light in our kitchen and...
Pros vs. Cons on dark vs light exterior house colors
we are trying to decide on a house color for our home...
Help needed on exterior colour for house
We are repainting our house and have narrowed colours...
Outdated galley kitchen. Ideas ?
Planning a very pale grey cabinet (painting) . Would...
We just purchased a large dark grey sectional sofa...
New Design
I have a solid natural oak coloured kitchen which I...
Kitchen Lighting Help!
I have lived with this light for 15 years ( it was...