Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2orsini

light vs. dark granite??? Can light granite be kept stain free?

mom2orsini
10 years ago
I am planning to do cream surround cabinets and a dark wood island. I would like to use honed black granite as my surround counter and light granite on island. HOWEVER, I decorate a LOT of cakes and use food color often. Will I truly be able to keep the light granite on my island stain free??? Or, must I go with all dark granite???

Comments (17)

• Judy M
    10 years ago
    Marble stains easier than most granite. So avoid marble, ask a stone fabricator what choices of granite would be suitable.

I have no rebuke with staining in my granite, I seal it every six months to a year.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Darn iPhone, should be I have no "trouble" with my granite
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Never rebuke your granite, Judy m, it doesn't like it :)
    I think you shouldn't have a problem, but have you considered quartz for perimeter counters?
  • mom2orsini
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I definitely am not choosing marble and certainly will try NOT to rebuke my granite (LOL...that was funny!)...I looked at Quartz, but haven't seen anything in the finish or style I like...plus, being almost double the price of granite, not sure I"m willing to pay that. So, your experience has not proven an issue with stains on light granite?
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Light as in white? I would describe at a creamy background with mottled colors of brown, black, a pale coral.

I am not home, so I cannot take a photo for you, my husband (and you know how messy they can be) is the cook in the house, no problems.

Not all granite is created equal, so that's why I say ask fabricator.

The absolute black granite (if a good quality one) Is very dense, mine does not even need sealing.

I have polished black in a bathroom and a laundry room.

I don't have experience with honed granite.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Here is a photo that shows my granite. I took a photo of flowers that hubby bought me and it shows the counter.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Lovely
  • mom2orsini
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Judy, that is very pretty (flowers AND granite!)...I will definitely consult with the fabricator...I can't imagine that granite would have made it THIS FAR in the design world if it really didn't hold up against stains as promised (with sealing of course). And, no, not white...my cabinets are going to be a warm cream and my granite will also be chosen in the warm/cream venue...I like that speckled look. I just don't want to get too much brown...definitely cream and black and shiny will be the main colors.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Ask the granite shop for some granite and quartz scraps. Apply food coloring and wait a few hours or or overnight. That's how I learned Marmoleum flooring stains.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Great advice :)
  • mom2orsini
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now, why didn't I think of that? I'll do that!!!! Thanks "apple_pie_order" :)
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    10 years ago
    You shouldn't have staining issues with granite at all. Like JDM said, you may as well seal it once a year, but it's very hard to stain granite.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Now that's good advice too, thanks for the info!
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    10 years ago
    I think that you have received a lot of great advice. If there is anything that I can help you with please get in touch with me. I would love to be of service to you. Thank you.
  • Vicki LaPinta
    7 years ago

Curious what you ended up getting and how it worked out for you.

• Shani Hammelburger
    6 years ago

i am in the same pickle

i like the light atlantis granit

i am not worried about putting oil on counter i dont do that

i am concerned about dark spills ex: grapejuice

how much time do i have to wipe it up before it potentially stains