I have a small kitchen and would like to remove the dark wallpaper and ... Any ideas?
snadyk
Take all paper down? Remove only the plaid and paint? One or tile? Other ideas? Please help!!!
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Hi Snadyk.........I would take down all the wallpaper and tile the backsplash area and paint the rest of the room. I might also take down the little curvy piece of trim above the cooktop and update the lighting. A great chandelier above the dining table and a new sconce above the sink would really help change the look of your room. I think the existing chandelier above the table is little high too - should be between 30-36" above table top. New hardware would also be a cost-efficient update. Your kitchen is small but looks efficient.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 10:07AM
intoit
Agree with Madden about removing the wallpaper and painting, but if possible I would also remove the appliance garage to improve counter space and give the kitchen a more up to date look. Under cabinet LED lightening would also be great along with a new light fixture over the sink. On my computer I cannot wee much of the light fixture over the table so you may need to replace it too with a newer look. I like the layout of your kitchen and hope you enjoy the updates.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 10:46AM
Granite Transformations
Yes. I would remove all the wallpaper.

It can be a little tricky and for the sake of time, you might want to pay someone to come in a remove it- unless it comes down easy. I'd paint the kitchen something in the blue family, I like this ocean air by Benjamin Moore- http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oceanair.

From there, I'd say install a tile backsplash too. You have a pretty traditional kitchen, so subway might be the way to go. I like our bronzite might work really well in your kitchen- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

Good luck, hope this helps!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 11:31AM
Jeannie Nguyen
Agree with the rest, remove the wallpaper and replace your cabinets. You could totally open up the kitchen with the right colors and cabinets.
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 5:34PM
Laurel Ennis
86 the wallpaper. Paint or tile in white. Replace the countertops with butchers block so every surface is a cutting board. Add an accent colour in curtains or roman blinds. As dated as white appliances are, they look SO good with oak cabinetry that I can't argue with them. I have a similar kitchen in my new house and I'm torn because the great big, lots of room, ice in the door fridge I love doesn't come in white, only Stainless. That's my dilemma. (The backslash is a very light beige and works BTW).
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 7:05PM
JMH Designs
Definitely removing the wallpaper will greatly improve the looks of your kitchen. As far as tiling the back splash you need to ask yourself if you are going to do a kitchen renovation anytime soon like within the next couple of years. This would entail replacing cabinets and or counter top replacement. If so I would not go any further as this would be just wasting your money.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 7:13PM
Cabinetry looks in pretty good shape, but if it were mine I'd want new countertops. Of course, if you plan to replace the cabinets in the next few years wait about the surfaces. Agree on removal of the appliance garage and all of the wallpaper. What color is the adjoining space? is that a direction you should go?New lighting is a must. You can do some inexpensive backsplashes. Google for ideas. One I'm thinking of is to use flashing. If you've been collecting pennies, try the copper penny backsplash or metal tiles from the big box hardward store. Or just paint it for now if you have a larger project planned down the road.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 8:46PM
Making a small kitchen more useful.
I have a small kitchen in my new house. I couldnt add...
azryeal
Need help designing a kitchen for a small space.
I have a small kitchen townhouse that needs remodeling....
mconnolly7
I have a very small kitchen
I want to use large 18x18 marble tile for my kitchen...
mcvic3
Need help with our enclosed front porch!
We just purchased this home and we have no ideas on...
Andrea Patacca
How do I accessorize my new Michelle Armas painting?
I just moved into a small one room studio in New York....
jms465
Popcorn ceiling texture removal - estimated cost?
I have a 2300 sq ft rambler, and am curious on what...
ann0253
Split level kitchen redesign
Help with redesign
mslsrn
Fireplace Brick: to paint or not to paint.
Wanting to completely reface my fireplace but it is...
kangacasey