Help for an off centered, narrow fireplace mantel
heathergray
June 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! I have a narrow fireplace mantel that is not centered on the wall between a hallway and the porch door. How do I decorate the 6" deep mantel to balance the fireplace in the room while keeping the family picture?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Its fine. Flank the picture with two tall narrow accessories
June 5, 2013 at 10:21am     
studio10001
If you are able to draw/gather the drapery panel to the right, that will help keep the area from seeming cramped. I think an asymmetrical arrangement (photo included) is the way to go over the mantle. I'd suggest moving it slightly left, and filling with either other smaller framed bits on the wall, or a small collection (forming a triangle) on the mantel that includes a tall element at the back and tapers toward center.
June 5, 2013 at 10:33am     
travisinteriors
Panel too close to firepl. Move in rod. Or slide to other side. Add tall 3 candlesticks to mantel on left side only.
June 5, 2013 at 10:37am     
heathergray
Travisinteriors, I agree with you, but there is a building flaw and the casing of the door is actually cut around the fireplace mantel- that is how close they are, ugh! I have 12" of wall space on the other side of the fireplace before the casing. The builder didn't center the fireplace between the two openings. Ugh. That is why I am having trouble with the mantel.
June 5, 2013 at 10:45am   
dlbconductor
Depending on the porch door: removing the curtain, painting the porch door the white of the mantel, and then installing white plantation shutters on the door might give a more balanced look. The door and the fireplace would visually become a unit and the fireplace would not look as off-centered or as crowded.

You might also consider painting the picture frame white. In our kitchen, we painted a frame the color of the cabinets to help tie the picture into the room and it worked very well. Matt's idea of two narrow accessories is very good advice. Avoid the temptation of putting small knickknacks on the mantel. Leave it bare except for the two tall accessories.

I have seen another approach where the mantel was extended all the way to the left and a decorative fire tool was hung on the wall under the extended mantel. The picture was then hung centered on the wall.

Good luck on your project!
June 5, 2013 at 10:53am   
mforr
I'd still pull drapes to the other side. Maybe a plant with draping foliage hanging down from it placed on end of mantel would cover the area of overlap. Then something taller towards the other end
June 5, 2013 at 10:55am