? on certain kitchen cabinet replacements
diyher
A few years ago, we had to replace our center island, since the cabinets were from 1995, even though the island was the same company, the stain color didn't match, same went for the wall cabinet to the right of the sink at the same time. So I restained them all a bit darker and a warmer color so they would match. Now our dilemma is the cabinet under the sink and others to the right of it, the base was damaged and we need to replace it.
My question is, I'm not 100% sure I can find a cabinet style that will match what we have, even if I buy it unfinished and stain it myself.
What would a suggestion be if we could not find a match?
Can;t afford to replace all our cabinets, as there are even more on the wall behind that you can't see.
Can I replace just the lower sink area with a different color and still look ok? We have plan to replace the counter tops with silestone or the like, and also do a nice backsplash.
Here is a picture of what I have done so far, but still have to take off some top wall paper and finish painting. We also bought new lights but they have not been installed yet.

20130520-102_Spring.jpg

Below is a graphic representation of the one wall behind that leads into our foyer where the top is the Behr straw basket, and the bottom the off white woodwork, but in the kitchen, I kept the bottom the Behr's Southern Breeze. The light I pasted is one of the lights we will install

Kitchen colors
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Are the face frame and door damaged? If not, a cabinet builder can build a new box and attach the old frame and door.
June 5, 2013 at 11:49am     
diyher
hmm, I didn't think of that. The doors seem to be fine, but the cabinet inside under the sink is damaged as is the baseboard area under the door sections. The front frame has separated from the box by the sink
June 5, 2013 at 11:52am     
diyher
We also had thought of buying one more cabinet to add to the end that we can put trash inside to easily keep it from our dogs lol. so if we did anything, there might be an addition to that base cabinet
June 5, 2013 at 11:53am   
diyher
My other idea was to buy unfinished cabinet doors to add to the sides of the cabinets to make them look more finished.
June 5, 2013 at 11:56am   
0825sam
I found a couple of pics and I think if you can create a furniture type look under your sink you could do something totally different in that area
Tri Color Kitchen
Oz Architects
June 5, 2013 at 11:56am     
diyher
thanks Sam, that was what I was thinking, to do something different, but wasn't sure what. I know I have seen many kitchens where the are not all exact styles, it seems to work well. I thought of a painted cabinet, but... since I already had the Behr southern breeze on the walls, had no clue what paint the cabinets since we have an off white tile floor :-/
June 5, 2013 at 12:02pm   
diyher
Could I paint a kitchen sink cabinet some sort of off white, even though I have the similar tiles.. ?
June 5, 2013 at 12:04pm   
diyher
lol, did you see the light in the kitchen you pasted? kinda cute, looks like it has hanging spoons :)
June 5, 2013 at 12:05pm   
0825sam
I didn't notice that - cool!
I am not a designer so I could be completely off base, but I don't know that I'd do the off white with the floor. Could you paint it a shade or two darker than what you have on the walls? Kind of like in the first pic I posted?
Black could be an option as well.
June 5, 2013 at 12:07pm     
0825sam
Here's a pic with black cabinets around range only

June 5, 2013 at 12:10pm     
onthefence
Love those furniture style kitchens sam posted! I really like the idea of doing the sink cabinet in the shade sam suggested above too. In fact, I wonder if you couldn't add some of that color somewhere on the island to tie everything together?
June 5, 2013 at 12:10pm   
diyher
I agree about the white cabinet with the white floor not such a good idea. I do mix my own paints a lot. Did it for both the ceiling in my family room next to the kitchen, and my kitchen. I used one part gold wall color with 3 parts white that I chose for the woodwork. It toned down the stark white ceiling and made it warmer looking while still just looking like a creamy off white. I wonder if I could use the gold to paint the sink area. Once we do the counters, we will be replacing the sink, so have no set idea on the sink design yet.
June 5, 2013 at 12:12pm   
A. Peltier Interiors
You could paint the cabinets a warm grey or dark espresso to contrast with the floor and countertops. Changing the light fixture, island chairs, and a new window covering over the sink would be a cost efficient way to update your kitchen.
June 5, 2013 at 12:12pm   
diyher
thanks onthefence :) I tried to think of tying in the island somehow, but didn't come up with anything yet. Since we have the offwhite floor, not so sure about the black, and thinking my husband may not go for the black :) I do like it in the kitchen picture you posted
June 5, 2013 at 12:14pm   
onthefence
A thought on your sink cabinet - since you'll be replacing the sink anyway, This could be an opporunity to pull the sink cabinet forward a couple inches like pictured in the first photo sam provided. I think the look with the black stove is similar. I think it really makes the color differentiation look VERY intentional and makes the cabinet look even more furniture-like.
June 5, 2013 at 12:16pm     
diyher
that is a new window covering, I bought them 2 months ago :)
June 5, 2013 at 12:16pm   
onthefence
I agree about the black diyher. I do really like sam's suggestion though of the blue a couple shades darker than your wall. I think it would work really well with your floors, your appliances and your existing wood cabinets.
June 5, 2013 at 12:18pm   
diyher
probably won't be changing the island chairs either. I've seen some of the newer ones, and not to keen on the styles without the backs. They are still in good condition, so can't just toss them. If I decide on a paint for the kitchen sink area, I could always paint the legs of the chairs for the island? my kitchen table has the same style chairs
June 5, 2013 at 12:21pm   
diyher
so darker color of the same green rather than lighter? thanks for reminding me about the kitchen sink that could stick out a bit. I think I have one of those ideas tagged in my idea books someplace.
June 5, 2013 at 12:22pm     
onthefence
IMO - yes, definitely darker. Not a lot darker - just a couple down on the paint strip (or mix as you see fit!) And thank you for saying green. On my monitor the color is showing blue!

Now here's another weird random thought. Pull the doors off your current sink cabinet. Have a new box built for the end cabinet run to use for a trash pullout and put the doors on that.

Even more random - would it work with your style to cover the sides and back of your island in beadboard and paint a green that matches the sink cab?
June 5, 2013 at 12:27pm     
I would stain all cabinets a very dark cherry change pulls to brushed nickel knobs. Counter tops in a cream with gray and black. Granite. Same on island. Replace bar stools with a more formal padded seat type cherry wood. Right now you have oak needs updating. You don't need to spend money on cabinets when you can stain. Replace ceiling fan with 3 pendent lights. Brush nickel with white globes. Drop low. Spend money on updating lights. On window remove valance add pleated blind in stock at lowes . Can go all the way up out of sight. In gray. I see a blue wall in pic. Add a little more gray to it and perfect. Remove all small items from counters. Uncluttered is the way to go. Stuff on island needs to go in a china cabinet not island.
June 5, 2013 at 12:28pm   
diyher
lol, you didn't see the cabinets before, I just stained them 2 months ago. It's a mixture of English chestnut and cherry
June 5, 2013 at 12:29pm   
I would also invest in new appl go either black or stainless. Stainless faucets too. And sink usually will come free with granite.
June 5, 2013 at 12:30pm   
diyher
I also just replaced all the pulls last month to a dark oil rubbed bronze
June 5, 2013 at 12:30pm   
diyher
I wouldn't invest in new appliances dont have the money. I don't want a "free sink" with granite. I'm choosing my own style
June 5, 2013 at 12:31pm     
diyher
read my message. I JUST bought new curtains, spent over $300 for 6 of them, they are staying
June 5, 2013 at 12:32pm   
diyher
I also don't want pleated blinds. I want that window open so we can see the view. All other windows in the kitchen and family room have top up bottom down pleated shades
June 5, 2013 at 12:33pm   
onthefence
@travisinteriors - it can be helpful - at least for me - to read what a homeowner has already done and what they like. You can generally tell if someone has made a change and they're not sure about it. I think too though you can tell when someone has made changes they like and where their dilemma is.
June 5, 2013 at 12:34pm     
diyher
I didn't ask for opinions on what to place on my island or to change my curtains, I asked for ideas on kitchen sink cabinets like all the others nicely suggested ;)
June 5, 2013 at 12:35pm     
onthefence
Back to your island dyiher ;-) I looked in your ideabook and you DO have a pulled out cabinet there (although it's the cooktop one). You also have two beadboard islands. Not sure if you liked them because of their layout or the top...but it didn't seem you've ruled out beadboard!
June 5, 2013 at 12:36pm     
diyher
I liked the idea of the beadboard if I had to change anything about the island :)
June 5, 2013 at 12:38pm   
onthefence
Gotcha. It just crossed my mind because it seemed a fairly easy way to tie the green over to the center of the kitchen.
June 5, 2013 at 12:39pm   
diyher
I'm thinking to do beadboard in the powder room next to the kitchen. Our pedestal sink cracked 2 months ago :-9 so as long as we have to take it out to replace it, I wanted to install wood floor that we have left over from another project and continue the wood floor from the foyer, into the power room and do the beadboard on the bottom half of the batheroom. So the style could also carry over into the kitchen I guess
June 5, 2013 at 12:45pm   
diyher
thanks for the ideas, this will all be done in a year or so. Trying to gradually do things as we can afford them.
June 5, 2013 at 12:53pm     
diyher
the cabinet color you see in the pictures is actually a bit off because of the white balance, so they are darker than you see what I posted
June 5, 2013 at 12:55pm   
onthefence
The beadboard in the powder room sounds great! And I do certainly understand doing things in stages as budget allows ;-) Actually, the beadboard on the island suggestion would certainly be one of those 'wait and see' things. Once you get the kitchen sink area taken care of you'll know whether or not you want more green in the kitchen area.

Sorry to hear about the pedestal sink! Sounds like you've been in plumbing purgatory for a few months.
June 5, 2013 at 12:59pm   
diyher
luckily, we can still use the sink to at least wash our hands :D the flooring currently in the powder room is the same linoleum that used to be in the kitchen when the house was built in 95. Can't really afford the stuff we are doing with the kitchen now, but it has to be done. While I still have the energy and brave enough to still climb ladders, I'm also painting my living, dining and foyer including the upstairs hallway lol. Hope to have all that painting done before my back to back art festivals begin end of August. Right now I at least have 2 each month, so have a 2 weeks between shows to work on shows and my art until the next one.
June 5, 2013 at 10:12pm   
onthefence
Sounds like you're going to be a very busy camper over the next few months! Hopefully the kitchen and powder room work will go quickly and fairly painlessly! Luckily things like the backsplash can happen a bit later. The functionality of your kitchen doesn't really depend on it. It sounds like you've got more than enough to keep you busy for a while. An acquaintance does craft shows and I know betweeen making her items and being at the shows, she spends a LOT of time getting ready and being at the shows.
June 5, 2013 at 10:31pm   
diyher
exactly onthefence, then I have to find time to actually go out to take more photographs to print and frame. By 2nd week of December, I'm wiped out lol.
Thanks for the link Connie, I'll go take a look. I would love just to get all new cabinets, we had actually looked at some of the lower end ones that still looked nice, but after hearing so many people complaining of problems, and realizing we still would have to spend close to $8,000 on the low end, we had to opt out of that idea. Also thought of refacing them, but know the high cost of having someone do it for us, so would have to learn to do it ourselves.

I refinished all our cabinets in our previous house, then just bought new doors and finished to match. Did it in 1990, the cabinets were from 1968 from the previous owner. Once we sold the house in 1994 to more where I am now, the realtors and the people looking to buy, thought they were brand new cabinets and we got a lot more for the house because of it. That was back when we both had high paying jobs lol.
June 6, 2013 at 1:24pm   
onthefence
diyher, it's difficult to tell cabinet quality from a pic on the internet. Other than the water damage you have on the sink cab floor though, are your cabinets of good quality? Like you, I've heard horror stories of the inexpensive cabinet lines. Ikea tends to be the one most favored and I don't hear horror stories -- but you still have the expense of the cabinets, and the time and effort of having your kitchen torn to smithereens.

Our kitchen is the original circa 1956. I've been planning/dreaming a kitchen remodel for a long time. The $$ is set aside - I just can't decide on the best layout and keep flip-flopping on the type of wood/stain I want. That said, these old cabinets are SOLID. If the layout was different, I wouldn't be remodeling.

Like you did with your previous house, new doors and refinished cabinet boxes will give you a new look. If you like your layout and the cabinets are sturdy, I'd go that way. My understanding of refacing is that they switch doors and put a veneer on the cabinet box. Given my choice I'd rather have refinished wood vs veneer.

It sounds too like your craft show work is a labor of love -- but takes a lot of time. Hopefully you'll get the kitchen look you want without stretching your energy too thin!
June 6, 2013 at 1:51pm   
diyher
well the island and one wall cabinet are the "better quality" (bought 3 years ago) meaning the left and right ends are plywood that can be stained. The other cabinets are not, but are still in good shape and all front frames and doors are solid wood. At our other house, they too were not plywood on the outside sides, but only had 2 cabinets to deal with that had sides that showed. So we bought plywood, nailed it up, and I stained it to match. I would love to go with Lyptus wood, but there is no way we could afford it now. Probably can't afford what I'm doing now :)) but working through it. I like the layout, except for a couple little cabinet ideas that we could still add later. I added some more ideas in my kitchen cabinet ideabook here. Just saw this idea of off white cabinets with a bit darker floor. I wonder if I could do the reverse and do a darker offwhite? I also like the nice wood top for the island, might make it stand out nicer.
June 7, 2013 at 11:18am   
diyher
those are the lights I bought, the larger over the table, the pendant over the sink. Would like to do something over the island, but still want to see how much we use the fan. We used to use it a lot when we both worked outside of the house. We kept the dogs in the kitchen, windows open and fan going, as long as it wasn't real hot otherwise we turned the a/c on. here is the other kitchen idea as far as alternating cabinet color [houzz=
]
June 7, 2013 at 11:23am   
diyher
I also like the idea of the corbels under the island, and the small higher top cabinets. Not sure if we could add a couple higher cabinets on top of what we have, with the alternate color, whichever we end up choosing. Think this is a 2 year more project lol
June 7, 2013 at 11:27am   
Replace Upper Kitchen Cabinets and Reface Lower Base Cabinets
I would like to replace my upper kitchen cabinets to...
replace kitchen cabinet knobs with handles
How do I replace my knobs on my kitchen cabinets with...
Paint or replace kitchen cabinets?
My husband wants to paint them but I can't believe...
Reposting possible lighting layout
If anyone could please give an opinion on the attached...
Bar height dinning table?
Would like to put a bar height dinning room table in...
Solar Heaters
Anyone have first hand experience with solar heating?...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Living Room Needs Serious Help
Living room is approximately 14'x25' which in and of...